African Lion Safari Employee Reviews

The saddest & most demeaning place to work!
Game Farm Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 March 2019
After working in various other animal care industries including other zoos, I can very confidently say that the management of the game farm (giraffes, lions, etc.) is appalling. Both animals and staff are treated with zero respect, research is conducted on sick and dying animals by people with absolutely no educational background in research and staff that attempt to speak out about these issues are immediately demoted or fired, this is unfortunately what happened to me as well as many of my co-workers. When hiring new staff the tactic is to hire people with the least amount of animal experience because they "ask less questions", and that's a direct quote. This company is honestly just cruel and completely in it for the money only.
Stay far away!
Seasonal line Cook & Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 March 2019
One of the worst companies you can possibly work for. For a government-funded operation, it was truly terrible. Supervisors have been present for years, but are all pretty awful. They had me working 4 different positions because so many people were quitting or getting fired. I can not stress enough - DO NOT work here.

I could go into much more depth, but the message would remain the same. Stay away.
Fun in the Sun
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 October 2018
Great place to work seasonally if you are in school or in need of some summer time hours! Customers tend to be very content with their visits and the people are insanely nice! I have no complaints whatsoever about my employment experience at the safari except that I honestly never wanted it to end
Challenging to work here without a car
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 October 2018
While I enjoyed the position at African Lion Safari, it is impossible to work here without a car. I rode my bike to work from Cambridge, and it was just too far.
Dream come true job.
Animal Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 September 2018
I’m so happy I had the opportunity to work here. I got to be a round my favourite animal all day, which was elephants. Also great hands on experience with animals, kind of develops a bond of trust. Another good thing was that I got to help out people who I admire the most who are the elephant handlers where they dedicate their lives in carrying for these majestic creatures. Also great work crew.
Pros
Animals in presence.
Cons
Physically tiring.
Awful job
Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 July 2018
Really bad place to work, really boring and mindless, causes severe depression. And the work was just horrible overall really bad management had to shave on maintenance for literally no reason makes no sense at all.
Workplace
Animal Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 July 2018
It is a lot of fun, lots of cleaning of pens with many different animals.
Start at 8:00am and leave around 6:30pm
Coworkers are amazing
You get to work with a large amount of animals
great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 June 2018
worked in food locations, very friendly and motivated staff. Seasonal, may-october. took orders and made food/snacks. friendly managers who were very accommodating. Hours change weekly.
Great First time job
Food Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 May 2018
Food services at African Lion Safari is a very good place for a full time starting job. The management is awesome very giving with time off for a summer job
Great Place to Work
Assistant Tours Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 November 2017
This job is perfect for someone with a great attitude and for someone willing to put in the work. The job can be tough with the long days but it can be extremely fulfilling.
Fun and Long Days
Lobby Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 October 2017
Throughout the time I was there, it was extremely enjoyable. The people are great to be around and the environment was amazing. Although they place you on a lot of shifts and they expect you to stay late most of the days you work. Other then that, its an amazing place.
A very fun environment and able to learn new things
Ticket Admissions (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 May 2017
Working at African Lion Safari expanded my knowledge on animals greatly. It provided me with experiences I could not receive any other summer job. It was a busy summer but worth it!
Fun place to work at
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 April 2017
Assist with cash check out
prepare ice cream cones and various snacks for guests
Hours were good
Sometimes hard to work in the hot sun and heat
Enjoy working around people and love working with the animals
Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 March 2017
The environment was very fun. the hardest part of the job was getting there. it was a 45 minute drive.he management were very friendly and so were the people
Fun summer job.
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2017
African Lion Safari was a very fun summer job. Consistent hours throughout the summer and the shifts were all reasonably timed to still give everyone a good work life balance.
Kind of a bummer
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 February 2017
Seems like a great place, but isn't really. You will get worked hard and compensated little. Supervisors take advantage of the fact that many people want to work there, so they treat you as if you are disposable.
Friendly and supportive staff, great work environment.
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 February 2017
I worked as a Gas Bar Attendant for one season at the African Lion Safari. It was a great job with many hours and easy work. My job was to sell people gas so they can drive through the game reserve.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Long shifts
End Captivity
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 January 2017
The hardest part of my job was learning that I did not agree with animals in captivity. It was a very hard experience to endure but it has made me a stronger person.
Pros
Parrots
Cons
Cages
Fun and healthy working environment
Waterpark Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 September 2016
Every day I was involved with kids in various ways. I was responsible for measuring their height and if they reached a certain height I was to give them a wristband, I instructed them when and when not to go down the water slides, ensured they were safe at all times and I also had the opportunity to help and play with kids in the ball pit area outside of the water park
Pros
Making kids happy
Cons
exhausting from being in the sun 8.5 hours a day
It was my very first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2016
It was long hours. But it was good hours despite the long standing. The pay was terrible way back then when I worked there however I did not focus on pay. I loved meeting people from all over the world though. I worked terribly long hours with lunch which is illegal.
Pros
Meeting people from around the world
Cons
Long hours with no lunch break