African Lion Safari

African Lion Safari Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
Stressful!!
Working at the Safari was a trip honestly. The company itself is weird enough, but considering how straight forward selling tickets sounds there is always some extreme event happening at every shift. Some days flew by, others took years. Also I would randomly work at the gas station on site or the animal rides and really never knew what would be in store when I showed up for work. I was usually sent home between noon and 4 depending on the day, but sometimes would be there until close. I worked another job at night and balancing the two was a nightmare! You get a start time but not an end so calculating weekly hours before the fact is impossible. The people you work with make this job because you are stuck in a spider infested wooden booth in direct sunlight with them for up to 8 hours. It is very hard to be good at this job because there is so much going on, so if you do not do well under pressure this is not for you!
Fun place to work at
Great first job and fun to work at but there hours are bad I would drive 30mins to work and 30mins back just for a 3 hour shift and sometimes there would be no costumers so they would send me home an hour into my shift
Great place to work!
The Safari is a great, family-owned and operated business that genuinely cares about its staff, visitors and animals. Supervisors and management are always willing to listen and help staff, pull their weight when it comes to the work that needs to be done, and are fair. Obviously this can depend on the department you are in and each individual supervisor/manager, but overall things are great.
fun and simple job very relaxed but fast paced
The management at this Establishment i'm impeccable. An average work day here consists of very friendly customers and even friendlier staff, I would be in charge on cleaning, cooking, opening and closing the food stand.
great work place
This was a great and new experience, I was able to learn a lot worked great with many new people, was able to gain great customer service skills. Worked full-time hours my time there, and I am willing to return in the spring.
Good temporary position.
I enjoyed working there over the summer. It was easy to communicate with the managerial staff. The workplace culture was fast-paced but friendly. I would recommend this job to any student.
Fun job, meh everything else
Minimum wage pay for minimum wage duties. But pretty neat job in the sense you get to work with exotic animals . Hard labour at times. Great summer job for a kid.
Fun workplace for the summer
The owner and work staff were very friendly and welcoming. It was a fun place to work and you would be outside in the sun surrounded by animals. The job was a little stressful due to high customer volume but nothing I couldn't handle.
typical teenage summer job
often not very organized depending on department, friendly staff but sometimes difficult customer service work, not challenging, fast paced during the busy months but can slow at depending on your department.
Stay Away!!
My worst job experience thus far. The management in the game reserves needs a lot of work, they are very close minded people that claim to care about the animals that have unfortunately ended up in their care. Employees are treated like disposable machines. Everything that goes on there is kept secret, in a weak attempt to hide the horrible things that go on there. If you are looking for animal experience, do not work here! You will have very minimal interaction with the animals, and most will have to be kept secret from management. Stay very far away.
Pros
you can admire cool animals
Cons
management is bad, actual labor is bad
The saddest & most demeaning place to work!
After working in various other animal care industries including other zoos, I can very confidently say that the management of the game farm (giraffes, lions, etc.) is appalling. Both animals and staff are treated with zero respect, research is conducted on sick and dying animals by people with absolutely no educational background in research and staff that attempt to speak out about these issues are immediately demoted or fired, this is unfortunately what happened to me as well as many of my co-workers. When hiring new staff the tactic is to hire people with the least amount of animal experience because they "ask less questions", and that's a direct quote. This company is honestly just cruel and completely in it for the money only.
Stay far away!
One of the worst companies you can possibly work for. For a government-funded operation, it was truly terrible. Supervisors have been present for years, but are all pretty awful. They had me working 4 different positions because so many people were quitting or getting fired. I can not stress enough - DO NOT work here.

I could go into much more depth, but the message would remain the same. Stay away.
A lot of team work and building relationships with employees
A typical day was coming to work, walking to my location and getting to work. I learned to be independent in in every station I was, with working on my own and calling for help if needed. The management was very nice and understand of problems and tried their best ti work through them.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Long Days
Fun in the Sun
Great place to work seasonally if you are in school or in need of some summer time hours! Customers tend to be very content with their visits and the people are insanely nice! I have no complaints whatsoever about my employment experience at the safari except that I honestly never wanted it to end
Challenging to work here without a car
While I enjoyed the position at African Lion Safari, it is impossible to work here without a car. I rode my bike to work from Cambridge, and it was just too far.
Dream come true job.
I’m so happy I had the opportunity to work here. I got to be a round my favourite animal all day, which was elephants. Also great hands on experience with animals, kind of develops a bond of trust. Another good thing was that I got to help out people who I admire the most who are the elephant handlers where they dedicate their lives in carrying for these majestic creatures. Also great work crew.
Pros
Animals in presence.
Cons
Physically tiring.
Awful job
Really bad place to work, really boring and mindless, causes severe depression. And the work was just horrible overall really bad management had to shave on maintenance for literally no reason makes no sense at all.
Workplace
It is a lot of fun, lots of cleaning of pens with many different animals.
Start at 8:00am and leave around 6:30pm

Coworkers are amazing

You get to work with a large amount of animals
great
worked in food locations, very friendly and motivated staff. Seasonal, may-october. took orders and made food/snacks. friendly managers who were very accommodating. Hours change weekly.
Great First time job
Food services at African Lion Safari is a very good place for a full time starting job. The management is awesome very giving with time off for a summer job
Great Place to Work
This job is perfect for someone with a great attitude and for someone willing to put in the work. The job can be tough with the long days but it can be extremely fulfilling.