AEON Corporation Employee Reviews

Professional and Enjoyable Experience
English Second Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kashiwa9 April 2018
Working for AEON, I had a wonderful experience. The company is super professional and your job duties are pretty straight forward. I had a wonderful supportive staff at my branch and I had many opportunities to contribute to the company outside of the classroom. Overall, I had a wonderful and enjoyable experience working for AEON. If you are willing to work and be professional during your time abroad in Japan. I highly recommend teaching for AEON.
Pros
Supportive company
Cons
Work-life balance
High Highs and Low Lows
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan8 March 2018
Japanese business culture will undoubtedly shock the typical westerner. Aeon is not a so called "black company," but they do have high expectations and generally high-pressure, high-speed work environments. At times, especially as a new teacher, it can feel impossibly-paced. Be ready to quickly memorize a great deal of information throughout your first few months.

Management and teachers are hit and miss from school to school. I was quite lucky to have a good, experienced team. Unfortunately, some find themselves stuck with poor management or disagreeable head teachers. As a foreign teacher (and especially for Japanese teachers) it's easy to become unhappy in that situation. Staying focused on the students will provide a source of positivity and motivation. And keep in mind that managers are under tremendous pressure to meet sales and renewal goals.

You must sell educational materials. This is difficult for some teachers to swallow, but it is essential at most eikaiwas.

Overall, if you can take the heat, it's well worth it. The students are generally fantastic; you will build skills relevant to any career; you will get to explore Japan and meet new people. I have no regrets.

I would however, suggest looking into ALT and JET programs before settling on an eikaiwa. If you do go the eikaiwa route, Aeon is certainly among the best of the large language schools. Smaller local and neighborhood scale schools are also worth looking into.
Foreign English Teacher
Instructor/Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tokyo25 February 2018
I worked full time as a foreign teacher at adult English school. Typical work week was Tuesday through Saturday. Work hours are 12pm to 9pm Tuesday to Friday and 10am to 7pm on Saturday.
Amazing experience
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Japan20 February 2018
The work is tough but extremely rewarding, you will get the opportunity to experience a fun and varied workplace and meet so many interesting and enthusiatic people.
The trainers are thorough and take onboard any feedback that you might have and will support you throughout your time with the company.
challenging, good work culture
English Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  広島県23 January 2018
Teaching English is absolutely challenging and fun. They develop their own teaching materials, and I loved them. They recently installed the digital teaching materials for both kids side and adult side. It became easier for new teachers to teach, and get less preparation time. What I didn't like about this company is the tightness with money. I guess it's important for companies to be a little bit careful about money, but even I had to work overtime because of the shortage or vacancy of teachers, they are really reluctant to pay extra for the overtime. Also, we do get time off, but we really can't use it even when you have a terrible cold because they have no emergency teachers especially for Japanese teachers. They are nicer to foreign teachers.
Decent place to work outside of the country
Head Foreign Teacher (Former Employee) –  Shizuoka, Japan30 November 2017
This was one of the first places to help people wanting to work and live in another country get established. Friendly, personal without being too personal and most of all professional
Pros
Cons
Language Barriers at times
Teaching as a business
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Shin yurigaoka22 November 2017
My experience at AEON was very fun and I learned a lot from the two locations I worked at. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students improve their english and being apart of their progress. The tokyo office was definitely more challenging than my other office in Aichi near Nagoya.
Pros
Living in Japan
Cons
working late
Fun environment and professional
English Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  愛知県 名古屋市7 November 2017
Start at noon and finish at 9pm. Teach 5-7 classes a day ranging from all levels. Can get repetitive but as an individual you need to look at yourself and determine what you can do better and how you could make lessons more effective. It's not their first language so speakingEnglish can be daunting for students. They are making an effort to speak so that's the most important thing. Staff were very helpful and friendly regarding all the red tape.
Pros
Have regular workshops to train and develop training skills. Staff and students were friendly.
Cons
Na
Great experiences with great people
Foreign Teacher of English (Former Employee) –  Utsunomiya27 October 2017
AEON offers teachers an opportunity to live in Japan and teach English. The workdays are long, but each day feels fulfilling because you know you are helping people achieve their dreams.
Pros
Teaching materials and lesson plans are provided
Cons
Hours can be a little difficult
My year in Osaka
Full-time English Instructor (Former Employee) –  大阪府26 October 2017
Training was really fast paced and did not cover everything due to the lack of time. There was a lot of material that required on the job training over the following months.

A typical day at work required lobby talk, preparation, and practice. Management staff typically lack proper skills to deal with foreigners and sometimes lack a real English background. The coworkers are nice but sometimes it can get toxic due to headquarters and micromanaging. Communication is very important and the staff rarely directly say if there is a problem directly to you.

The hardest part of the job besides the hours, is maintaining a healthy work-life balance because the company expects you to do preparation at home. The most enjoyable part of the job are the wonderful students that are really understanding and motivated people.

Note that not all school environments are the same, due to different management personnel. But the Kansai region is especially the worst in Japan due to their lack of staff and bad turnovers.
Opportunity to work in a professional teaching environment without prior teaching experience
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tokyo, Japan28 August 2017
AEON Corporation is the best company when it comes to recruiting aspiring English teachers in their home countries, providing them with the work visa they need and also providing the training they will need to succeed as an English teacher, even if it is your first time teaching. AEON expects candidates to have strong professional manners and an enthusiastic personality, but besides that the company is willing to help teach the on-the-job skills teachers will need, including exercising patience as teachers learn and perfect these skills. Japanese language skills are not required for this position, but they are definitely an added bonus if you possess them. This position should be considered as a full-time work commitment, so people intending to come to Japan as a kind of "working holiday" need not apply.
Pros
Housing provided (with subsidized rent), work visa provided, on-the-job training provided
Cons
Much business is condicted in Japanese, English-only speakers have little room for upward movement in the company
Fast-paced and Stressful English Teaching Job
English Conversation Teacher (Current Employee) –  広島県21 August 2017
The company itself has a decent reputation. My personal experience was nice; my manager, coworkers, and students were all pleasant to be around. Interacting with my students made me hesitant to leave the company. But it's difficult working as a member of Japanese work culture. Lots of unpaid (often expected) overtime. Poor work-life balance.
A convenient way to move to Japan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Shimizu, Japan27 July 2017
AEON will take care of a lot of the more stressful elements of moving abroad, like housing and commuter travel. Pay is always on time and the wage structure is transparent. Lessons are structured by the textbooks so as long as you pay attention in training, you should be able to teach with relatively little settling time. However, more difficult elements to the job, especially those around teaching children, are not handled as well and you may find yourself feeling underprepared and frustrated in these classes.
Pros
Support for transition to Japan
Cons
Poor preparation for kids classes
AEON was an extremely satisfying job, with ample room for advancement based on skill level and qualifications
Sales and Education Manager (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan22 July 2017
I began at AEON as a beginning level teacher, but after displaying considerable skill as a teacher and salesman, and by demonstrating my aptitude in small business management, I was given rapidly increasing responsibilities, as well as the maximum number of awards allowed a teacher.
Pros
Rewarding experience, and opportunities to advance skills and position
Cons
Long hours and frequent challenges in sales, skill development, and management
Friendly staff that helps you acclimate
Teaching Staff (Former Employee) –  群馬県 高崎市4 July 2017
It is an interesting job, teaching English to children as young as three, and adults as old as 83 in my experience. You learn a lot about the Japanese culture through your adult students and enjoy time with your co-workers. Working hours can be very busy with up to 7 lessons in a day being taught. Management does not always give you a large amount of time to prepare for new tasks.
Pros
Employer gets affordable housing near your job location.
Cons
Short breaks, often asked to do many things in a short amount of time.
Easy Job To Get, You'll Want to Get Out Pretty Quick
English Conversation Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan3 July 2017
I didn't like working for Aeon at all.
the biggest qualm I had with those people were the "self study campaign" season they'd have about twice a year; they would preach and preach in the off-season about how we needed to make sure our classes were the absolute best quality the students could get, but around campaign time they'd make us change the story to "well, our classes are OK.. but if you buy these extra excersize books and CDs your English will be so much better!"
compensation is best among eikaiwas
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  hiroshima28 May 2017
the compensation is highest amongst eikaiwas but every school has a completely different culture with some being more easy going and fun and others more strict and stressful
Pros
fixed schedule
Cons
work hours affect work life balance
Get ready for no money no life
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Matsusaka, Japan12 May 2017
It was just so expensive there and as soon as I fell ill there was no support. The option was either deal with it or leave. As soon as I chose to leave for my health they had kicked me out within four days, took most of my last paycheck because they said there was a stain on my carpet (a stain that was there when I moved in and cleaned it anyway but because the cleaning materials hadn't dried yet I was forced to pay) So I went home with $50.
Pros
live in Japan
Cons
no free time, no money
boring
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  東京都25 April 2016
management created bad culture
the job is very stagnant
learned how to deal with all kinds of people. softskills improved.
descent coworkders
pay is low
Hard Work
ASSISTANT TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Nagoya, Japan24 September 2015
The work culture is strict but you get to live in a foreign country and experience lots of new things. I recommend it to the right person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AEON Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.