Aecon Group

Aecon Group Employee Reviews

Organization is perfect

Good people to work with and very organized and big in safety been with them for 2 years now and feel that I fit in very well with this company because there is no cutting corners and things get done properly.

Pros

Learning always

Cons

Could've far drive from my house

Everyone is competing to get to the top no matter at what costs

No corporate support at all pretty much they don’t want to hear about problems just fix it.Money isn’t that great for the baloney you have to put up with or deal with

Pros

Free lunches swag isn’t so bad

Cons

Rates aren’t competitive

Productive work place. Good team work.

Worked for Aecon as an employee contract. And I found they were very reasonable to work for and with. Let’s say if you were good at your job, able to work in fast paced environment and work as a team player,it was all good. there was lots of good support and team players. Would I work there again. YES.

Pros

Barbecues outings. But you were given space to work.

Cons

I was an out of Province worker. So my only complaint was getting time off to go home once a month.

better work - life balance

Great support from management, work independently and good work life balance. your suggestions matter and accepted if its valid. Job security is good. this is my most enjoyable job. great place to work

Productive and fun place to work

Excellent place to work, good management great co workers. Work with you to handle disputes fairly, lots of resources and benefits. Easy to negotiate if need be.

Pros

Good management

Watch Your Back!

Company safety practices and safety culture are exceptional. The Splicing Supervisor has a severe case of Jekyll and Hyde personality. Great guy one day; however, next day he will chew your head off. Bring your A-game, meet deadlines and you will do well. Make a mistake, small or large, and look out! This person is not an effective people manager.

Pros

Safety Culture; Decent warehouse & material support.

Cons

No work and/or bad weather you are sent home with no pay.

Great place to work, large company, available opportunity for career advancement

- Large company offers opportunity to work in various construction sectors from nuclear, civil, mining, etc- Opportunity for career advancement - Benefits provided even for contract employees

Pros

- Room for growth, direct communication with management, multiple opportunites at Aecon's many other job sites

Safe work environment

Safety is a priority with Aecon compared to most construction companies and they offer many job site opportunities all over Canada if your willing to travel.

Pros

Catered meetings

Don’t bother

No communication between departments. They always try to find someone else to blame when they mess up. Will through you under the bus to save one of there friends every time.

Cons

Great work but too many team meetings

I worked for Aecon in a remote location, and there was an equal amount of office work, field work, and miscellaneous IT tasks that had to be accomplished.Before Aecon was sold, the management was great, but the weekly team meetings were a bit tedious and unnecessary.Aecon (for IT) is a great place to work, although it is still mostly a male-dominated work environment, which has a few downsides. Either way, the experience was a good one for me.

Pros

Good pay, good morale, steady work

Cons

Too many online meetings, management heavy, male-dominated

Jobs at Aecon Group

See more jobs

Disorganized

I was hired to start at a certain date then the day before my start date is was pushed back a month then another month....once I finally got working it was good. Easy going people , supervisors were decent to work with, upper management was pathetic though. Gave me a company pickup which was good but the slip tank for diesel had a faulty cap that caused a fuel spill over the weekend. They said they'd pay the tickets for the fire crew to come clean up the spill but ultimately it fell on me and wasn't even allowed to dispute it. Take from that what you will but I do not recommend

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Backtabbing

I enjoyed my time with this company

My time with Aecon was short but during this time was able to gain respect from management and really enjoyed the work overall. Took on responsibility when asked and was recognized for the hard work. When the time came to have to leave the project that I was on due to family needs was helped by management. And asked to come back. Would work for this company again

Great place with great co workers

Loving working at Aecon. The growth of the company is incredibly growing at a rapid pace. Direction knows why they are doing and are always looking for other opportunities.

Quality is part of good project. A good place to be for a job.

Very good team work and relationship with all departments.A every day you learn and apply to your work.You are a very useful part of the project where you are prod and respect.

Pros

Very good support

Cons

Great team environment, fair company

I worked with it this company up in Fort McMurray it was a great company to work for good management at that time, very generous, very good training and safety, good benefits.

Mechanical and electrical contractor, good team there

Worked at their mod yards and on sites like Suncor working both mechanical and electrical. Old school management and good people. Do your job and no issues. Gave me all the tools required to succeed, bought pizza on OT weekends making double time. Warm up shacks are also mini tool cribs. Definitely one of the better employers. Unionized environment with respectful culture. No bird dogging or dead line pressure. The products we made were of a very higher standard compared to PCL or other like companies

Pros

No bird dogging or harassing safety

Very poor management

Would be a great place to work except for management! I was a supervisor and pretty much due to my manager was pushed into depression. I was insulted, swore at, talked down to yelled at and verbally abused and micro managed every day. The manager would not listen to any one if it wasn’t his idea it wasn’t happening. He treats all employees the same and every one is afraid to stand up to him.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Mining division

Was a great place to work a lot of good people and most got along worked good together and had fun at work enjoyed my time with them and don’t have much bad to say about them met a lot of good people there

You are a Labor, not a technician.

I am sure if you are hired as a Technician, you would be expecting some "technical" work. Quality testing, reporting, minor supervision, work experience for PR, and lots of opportunities to grow. I was the same naive person. I have now realized that they hire cheap labor (the work, that unskilled laborer would refuse for the pay you are offered). They are smart to overhire. So you may not get work ( usually less than 30 hrs/week). However, if you decide to up and leave because of their tactics, they have a lot of your replacements. For some, it is amazing (good hour/lesser stress of responsibilities), for some who have advanced degrees and plenty of experience, this is just awful. If you do think you can move up the ladder, just be very very diligent. Forget about other opportunities and your PR experience (to people it applies). You do get to earn many certificates and IF you don't mind extreme physical work, you will do well here. Quit a while ago.

Pros

Certifications

Cons

Physical labor.

They’re Family

Every aecon job site I have worked on felt like family and everyone looked out for each other every single day for many years....there is however very little chance for advancement and wages are below average for most positions. Sometimes though, having amazing people and a well developed and implemented safety program are “pros” that outweigh the “cons” of low wages and work/life balance the folks I had the pleasure of working with were all too notch!

Pros

Challenging but supportive environment

Cons

Wages are below average

Unbalanced management

working day is typical for most of construction companies, be very careful to decide to work with the company unless you are "perfect",management has different level of experience even for senor positions, therefore,backstabbing is a normal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aecon Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement