aecl Employee Reviews

was a good company to work for
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Pinawa, MB10 July 2018
AECL was a crown corporation. started there and was told there was work there for 50 years. great people to work with. Unfortunately, the Government of Canada decided to sell it off (which is now CNL) and everyone lost there pensions.
Pros
good people
Cons
lost our pensions
Not the best place for someone who likes to grow.
Project Lead, Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON10 January 2018
Management doesn't set the expectations clear, and majority of people point finger at others when something goes wrong. The majority of employees are old and not very supportive when being reached for help.
Great place to work if you would like to learn a lot
General Welder Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 February 2017
Typical day: Continue whatever project you were on the day before. But usually it was cutting and prepping piping for the welders, as I was an apprentice at the time.

What you learned: Wow, I learned much more than I can mention. But everything from welding, to installation of piping. This is the best place to work if you want to learn how to do jobs properly.

Management: They were good, tough, but good. Often I would get chewed out for not completing jobs on time, but I knew that they could do it in that time frame. So I would just try harder to meet their expectations next time. The manager was truly skilled, and could do any job that was asked of us. If we had a question about anything, when knew we could just go and ask. He would even come out and throw a welding helmet on to show you how he wants it done. Nothing but praise for the management.

Hardest part of the job: I would say, meeting the expectations. There were tight deadlines, and they expected perfection when building something. But as I was an apprentice, this was very difficult for me.

The most enjoyable part of the job: I would say, the people around you that you work with. Also, I personally enjoy learning. So when someone would take the time to teach me something, I would just relish the moment and absorb as much as I could.
Pros
Clean work area, great coworkers, always something to learn, lots of equipment to choose from
Cons
High expectations
Great learning opportunity
Fire Hazard Coordinator & Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON1 June 2016
Working at AECL's Chalk River Laboratories allowed me the chance to take what knowledge I had already and have it grow. The work environment was positive and co-workers were always ready to assist.
Administrative Support
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 November 2015
Great place to work. Hectic environment working with the Director, 4 Manager and with 120 engineers, Varied work load and great professionals in an Nuclear engineering and laboratory environment.
Was own by Federal Government but the sold it to a private company, does not exist any more.
Team work and cooperative efforts to complete the job in time
Project Engineer Representative (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON7 September 2015
AECL is World's reknowned company where advance research on the CANDU Reactor take place. It employs more than 2000 sciencist and Professional Engineers to execute the research work. My experience with AECL was amazing where you are provided with a very good environment , highly motivated atmosphere and cooperation.
Pros
Flexible times
Cons
Long Hours
Great Company to work for.
Draftsman/designer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario12 June 2015
Interesting and challenging work and good advancement opportunities. I learned a lot and had a chance to develop my career.
I really enjoyed working at AECL.
Aecl
MicroStation Draftsperson (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2015
I drafted different concepts of a control room in MicroStation and handed the models to the graphics and design department. The graphics and design department would use computer rendering to enhance the MicroStation model and the computer rendered image would be used as a Sales and Marketing pitch to potential customers because the project was in "Design Phase".
Pros
Government Owned
Cons
Government Owned
Jobs generally are quite routine except I was assigned to new assignment or out-of-town jobs.
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 February 2015
I like my assignment in general with varieties, however this is usually dictated by the nature of jobs. Personally I prefer to work in site instead of sitting in the office all day long. I have good working relationship with co-workers and people associated with other disciplines. It is interesting to work with people with different work experience and background, so that I can learn from others. The hardest part of any job is office politics, I like to work in a harmonious and friendly environment rather than picking side. Occasionally I like to work away from the office for a short period of tome for a change.
Pros
Short term site assignments
Cons
Job security is sensitive to politics and economic fluctuation
Enjoyed 9 years at AECL and Candu Energy - their rules are strict but fair, being a Nuclear company means safety first.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario18 November 2014
AECL (a Government agency) sold their Mississauga location to Candu Energy (part of a larger publicly owned company). When this happened, a lot of changes happened, and we had to learn a new culture, this was a difficult challenge for all, but working with wonderful, educated, professional staff made it easier. I learned a lot from each and every one of them.
Good job
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON8 May 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
kitchen (Current Employee) –  chalk river29 April 2014
I deal with several amount of people on a daily basic.
It was great being in charge of office
the Prime Tenant assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, Ontario29 December 2013
A typical work day was to obtain work permits for the branch, type and format documents, order supplies, if there were printer problems you try to fix them. Any employees hired, you had them complete certain paperwork.
Pros
Enjoy working on my own and being responsible for the needs of the branch
Cons
It was difficult to get support if you needed hellp
good place to work, with many benefits, including pension plan.
I acted as secretary (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, Ontario13 November 2013
AECL is a crown corporation; it includes research and development, engineering and procurement. Its workforce is very talented and diverse. I would always recommend this employer.
I acted as secretary (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario24 August 2013
It is a friendly work environment, and there are many opportunities for professional growth.
Pros
Free coffee and tea, and regular training