Adventure Valley Day Camp

Adventure Valley Day Camp Management reviews

Canada20 reviews
I knew the original Director of this camp. So I was kinda shocked that management had changed but all in all still a well run camp. Should think of a 3-5 year capital plan to update the site.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
poor site condition
The fellow counsellors were truly the only highlight to working here. The pay was very unfair and the head staff aren't understanding and can be very passive aggressive at times. They made us work overtime despite there being no benefit
Pros
The fellow Camp Counsellors
Cons
Long Hours
Official response from Adventure Valley Day Camp
27 July 2020
Hello! Thank you for your feedback. We would love to know more so we can improve the experience of future staff. If you are a staff from 2020, you should be receiving an email with a feedback survey later today. If you are a staff from a previous year, please do reach out to ashlee@adventurevalley.ca with your feedback!
To be honest, camp culture at AV can be seen as either a positive or a negative depending on how "campy" you are. Positive, if you buy into the your upper staff are ur friends and love to participate in the activities and Friday Fun Day (which is often unorganized). Negative, if you see how the head staff treat employees who don't live up to certain expectations especially for returning staff, if little pay gets you down, if you find constant peppiness obnoxious. Tbh, a fine place to work for ur first year. As the years go on though, you start to see layers unfold or get treated poorly, unappreciated. There was an incident in August 2018 with a lot of staff getting food poisoning, and getting very sick that was never apologized for by the head staff responsible for it (in fact they were laughed at for still being sick halfway through the day, when they were sick all day. Many had to participate in rigorous physical acitivity while barely functioning, or were too incapacitated to be able to. This was during colour wars, which is often a mess.).
There is also a culture of "you have to return" with disregard for many people's lives outside of camp.

Honestly, hit or miss. Only work here if you're campy, like children, dont need a lot of money, and get along with head staff.

A good first job, after my 2018 experience I wouldn't return there though.
I worked here for march break a few years back.
Not only was I under payed (6 dollars per hour) but I was under-qualified for the tasks they had me do.

The manager at the time had me do one on one supervision of a boy with down-syndrome.

My main duty the entire time was to take care of the boy with down-syndrome. This in itself wasn't bad as he was a great child....

However, I was 17, with little experience with children, no camp experience and no experience with differently-abled children.

Even though normally a specialized camp counselor with the sole responsibility of caring for a child with down-syndrome SHOULD get paid more...I was not.

I feel as though I was taken advantage of due to my young age and inexperience.

However, since this was years ago, I never thought of reporting this job before.

This job experience ruined wanting to work at camps with children.

However, I have recently been looking for jobs working with children and often still see ADVENTURE VALLEY postings.

Figured I would inform others not to EVER apply here.
Pros
Experience with differently-abled children. Free food. Atmosphere. Free transportation.
Cons
Pay. Work responsibilities. Distance. Management. lack of teamwork. Long hours.
Official response from Adventure Valley Day Camp
30 April 2019
Hi friend
We are so sorry that you had a negative experience working with us at camp. We always try to incorporate feedback from our staff to improve, learn, and grow. I'm not sure when you worked here, since in my memory (2015 forwards) the above has not happened. I encourage you to reach out to us privately to share detailed feedback, so we can make sure that other staff do not have negative experiences. I encourage all potential staff to take this review with a grain of salt, as it is definitely outdated :)

Cheers

- AVDC Team
The camp is so much Fun, has very Good management and provides excellent opportunities to grow. The staff is supper friendly and fun. However, like other private camps the pay is very low.
Pros
free weekly pizza
Cons
inefficient break times for some staff
The management, staff, and fellow counselors made this a safe space to work, play, and spend time ins for all - children and staff alike. Everyone was friendly and approachable and the children's safety and fun came first
Pros
Great lunch options
Cons
Not enough staff at times
Best for high school students, as they don't pay minimum wage and don't seem to appreciate employees too much. No benefits and the management isn't the best, as they don't tend to keep employees on for more than a year.
A typical day at work would be following your schedule, taking your kids to the different activities and making sure they eat their lunches, making sure they swim, and making sure you know what bus they go on at the end of the day.

I learned patience, organizational skills, and time management

Times were rough, management wasn't that smooth, seeing as though it's a summer camp

I loved my co-workers! They, (other than the kids) were one of the best parts of going to camp! They were fun, friendly, funny, and all very outgoing and accepting.

The hardest part of the job was making sure you don't miss your bus in the morning and waking up really early every single day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the weekends off, having free lunches, and getting time to relax (sometimes)
Pros
Free lunches, and fun working with kids
Cons
Poor management - It was better before the new owners came, Terrible lunches, MOST counsellors don't have their CPR or Criminal background checked. Long hours. Activities are ran by counsellors, which is fun, but if a cabin counsellor does not want to teach the kids then your kids are missing out. LOW pay $200 a week basically if you are 18 and over.
Pros
Being around great kids
Cons
Long hours, Management, Food, Salary, co-workers