Adventure Valley Day Camp
Adventure Valley Day Camp Employee Review

Fun if you love working with kids

8 June 2016
A typical day at work would be following your schedule, taking your kids to the different activities and making sure they eat their lunches, making sure they swim, and making sure you know what bus they go on at the end of the day.

I learned patience, organizational skills, and time management

Times were rough, management wasn't that smooth, seeing as though it's a summer camp

I loved my co-workers! They, (other than the kids) were one of the best parts of going to camp! They were fun, friendly, funny, and all very outgoing and accepting.

The hardest part of the job was making sure you don't miss your bus in the morning and waking up really early every single day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the weekends off, having free lunches, and getting time to relax (sometimes)
Pros
Free lunches, and fun working with kids
Cons
2 February 2020
Same roleSame location
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) - Thornhill, ON
Great place to work as a first experience. Other employees are very welcoming, and the same with head staff members. You need to be energetic enough to handle happy kids.
24 April 2019
Same roleSame location
Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) - Thornhill, ON
I worked here for march break a few years back.
Not only was I under payed (6 dollars per hour) but I was under-qualified for the tasks they had me do.

The manager at the time had me do one on one supervision of a boy with down-syndrome.

My main duty the entire time was to take care of the boy with down-syndrome. This in itself wasn't bad as he was a great child....

However, I was 17, with little experience with children, no camp experience and no experience with differently-abled children.

Even though normally a specialized camp counselor with the sole responsibility of caring for a child with down-syndrome SHOULD get paid more...I was not.

I feel as though I was taken advantage of due to my young age and inexperience.

However, since this was years ago, I never thought of reporting this job before.

This job experience ruined wanting to work at camps with children.

However, I have recently been looking for jobs working with children and often still see ADVENTURE VALLEY postings.

Figured I would inform others not to EVER apply here.
Pros
Experience with differently-abled children. Free food. Atmosphere. Free transportation.
Cons
Pay. Work responsibilities. Distance. Management. lack of teamwork. Long hours.
Official response from Adventure Valley Day Camp
30 April 2019
Hi friend
We are so sorry that you had a negative experience working with us at camp. We always try to incorporate feedback from our staff to improve, learn, and grow. I'm not sure when you worked here, since in my memory (2015 forwards) the above has not happened. I encourage you to reach out to us privately to share detailed feedback, so we can make sure that other staff do not have negative experiences. I encourage all potential staff to take this review with a grain of salt, as it is definitely outdated :)

Cheers

- AVDC Team
25 March 2020
Same location
Camp employee (Former Employee) - Thornhill, ON
To be honest, camp culture at AV can be seen as either a positive or a negative depending on how "campy" you are. Positive, if you buy into the your upper staff are ur friends and love to participate in the activities and Friday Fun Day (which is often unorganized). Negative, if you see how the head staff treat employees who don't live up to certain expectations especially for returning staff, if little pay gets you down, if you find constant peppiness obnoxious. Tbh, a fine place to work for ur first year. As the years go on though, you start to see layers unfold or get treated poorly, unappreciated. There was an incident in August 2018 with a lot of staff getting food poisoning, and getting very sick that was never apologized for by the head staff responsible for it (in fact they were laughed at for still being sick halfway through the day, when they were sick all day. Many had to participate in rigorous physical acitivity while barely functioning, or were too incapacitated to be able to. This was during colour wars, which is often a mess.).
There is also a culture of "you have to return" with disregard for many people's lives outside of camp.

Honestly, hit or miss. Only work here if you're campy, like children, dont need a lot of money, and get along with head staff.

A good first job, after my 2018 experience I wouldn't return there though.