Adventure Valley Day Camp
Adventure Valley Day Camp Employee Review

Fun Environment

18 April 2017
Learned a lot about how to talk to customers and staff.
A typical day consisted of rounding up the kids off the bus, taking attendance, making sure everyone is where they need to be. Then giving kids their schedule and taking them to their activities. Once my group was handled, I went to my scheduled period where I ran an activity. If my activity wasn't scheduled, I would go assist another coach. Then take kids to lunch and swimming, then at the end of the day, I would take them to their bus.

The people were amazing it was always a fun environment.

Most enjoyable part was making connections with co workers and campers.

Hardest part was dealing with the extreme heat, and long hours everyday out in the sun.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
long days, no real breaks
25 March 2020
Same location
To be honest, camp culture at AV can be seen as either a positive or a negative depending on how "campy" you are. Positive, if you buy into the your upper staff are ur friends and love to participate in the activities and Friday Fun Day (which is often unorganized). Negative, if you see how the head staff treat employees who don't live up to certain expectations especially for returning staff, if little pay gets you down, if you find constant peppiness obnoxious. Tbh, a fine place to work for ur first year. As the years go on though, you start to see layers unfold or get treated poorly, unappreciated. There was an incident in August 2018 with a lot of staff getting food poisoning, and getting very sick that was never apologized for by the head staff responsible for it (in fact they were laughed at for still being sick halfway through the day, when they were sick all day. Many had to participate in rigorous physical acitivity while barely functioning, or were too incapacitated to be able to. This was during colour wars, which is often a mess.).
There is also a culture of "you have to return" with disregard for many people's lives outside of camp.

Honestly, hit or miss. Only work here if you're campy, like children, dont need a lot of money, and get along with head staff.

A good first job, after my 2018 experience I wouldn't return there though.
3 February 2020
Same location
I worked at AVDC for 2 summers and it was the best summer camp experience I had since I went to summer camp. Everyone is so welcoming and supportive - you really become part of the work family when you start. They are super flexible if you have a sudden doctors appointment pop up, and if you are having a tough day everyone tries to help it go smoothly to take some stress off. I loved working at AVDC and I am going to miss everyone this summer.
Official response from Adventure Valley Day Camp
27 February 2020
Thank you! <3 Not sure who is posting but I'm sure we will miss you this summer :)
2 February 2020
Same location
Great place to work as a first experience. Other employees are very welcoming, and the same with head staff members. You need to be energetic enough to handle happy kids.