Adventure Valley Day Camp Employee Reviews

Fun Environment and Excellent staff
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 January 2019
The camp is so much Fun, has very Good management and provides excellent opportunities to grow. The staff is supper friendly and fun. However, like other private camps the pay is very low.
Pros
free weekly pizza
Cons
inefficient break times for some staff
Great community and many support groups
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2018
The salary may not be very high, especially if you just start working there but the people and staff are extremely approachable and easy to get along with. There are tons of activities and easy way to gain communication and leadership experience. The staff are also trained in counselling and can be approached with almost any issues that are bothering you.
Pros
Free Lunch on Friday
Cons
Tiresome hours working with kids for so long.
Fun and exciting environment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
The management, staff, and fellow counselors made this a safe space to work, play, and spend time ins for all - children and staff alike. Everyone was friendly and approachable and the children's safety and fun came first
Pros
Great lunch options
Cons
Not enough staff at times
had lots of fun working there
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2018
it was fun working at Adventure Valley Day Camp.i had a lot of experience working with kids. Working with kids is a little stressful that was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
job security
Cons
An okay place to work, if you don't need money
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON22 August 2017
Best for high school students, as they don't pay minimum wage and don't seem to appreciate employees too much. No benefits and the management isn't the best, as they don't tend to keep employees on for more than a year.
Fun Place
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 May 2017
Adventure Valley Day Camp was a very good first job for me. My co-workers were always nice and respectful to others and put everyone else before them.
Fun Environment
Head Sports Coach/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON18 April 2017
Learned a lot about how to talk to customers and staff.
A typical day consisted of rounding up the kids off the bus, taking attendance, making sure everyone is where they need to be. Then giving kids their schedule and taking them to their activities. Once my group was handled, I went to my scheduled period where I ran an activity. If my activity wasn't scheduled, I would go assist another coach. Then take kids to lunch and swimming, then at the end of the day, I would take them to their bus.
The people were amazing it was always a fun environment.
Most enjoyable part was making connections with co workers and campers.
Hardest part was dealing with the extreme heat, and long hours everyday out in the sun.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
long days, no real breaks
A lot of work for little pay
Lifeguard and swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2017
since this is a camp, they don't pay hourly rates. We worked from 7:30 - 4:30 on weekdays for 8 weeks and were only paid $1500. During the day we would teach 6 instructional programs and lifeguarded for the rest of the day.
Pros
Experience
Cons
low pay
Fun if you love working with kids
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON8 June 2016
A typical day at work would be following your schedule, taking your kids to the different activities and making sure they eat their lunches, making sure they swim, and making sure you know what bus they go on at the end of the day.

I learned patience, organizational skills, and time management

Times were rough, management wasn't that smooth, seeing as though it's a summer camp

I loved my co-workers! They, (other than the kids) were one of the best parts of going to camp! They were fun, friendly, funny, and all very outgoing and accepting.

The hardest part of the job was making sure you don't miss your bus in the morning and waking up really early every single day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the weekends off, having free lunches, and getting time to relax (sometimes)
Pros
Free lunches, and fun working with kids
Cons
Fun if you're only doing it for experience
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2016
Poor management - It was better before the new owners came, Terrible lunches, MOST counsellors don't have their CPR or Criminal background checked. Long hours. Activities are ran by counsellors, which is fun, but if a cabin counsellor does not want to teach the kids then your kids are missing out. LOW pay $200 a week basically if you are 18 and over.
Pros
Being around great kids
Cons
Long hours, Management, Food, Salary, co-workers
A private company that allowed me to be with children independently without supervision.
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Thornhill4 May 2015
I have been working with his camp for a few years now, I love this company. A typical day of work would start off at 8:30 in the morning and end at 4:00pm. These days are packed with activities and helping assist my campers will anything they need as well as making each day the best it can be. I've learned how to deal with all types of campers and their personal needs as well as being able to talk to their parents if need be. Additionally i've learned a lot of professional skills and be able to give a good example to everyone around me. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be adapting to new ages of children. The most enjoyable part of this job was that even though it was hard work i had got to create close bonds with my campers and leave them upset when it was the end of the summer. I was the best feeling knowing that i did a exceptional job.
Pros
Bus transportation, free lunch, close to home
Cons
Not paid for over time
Very fun but hard workplace
Youth Specialist/ Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  7015 Leslie Street, Markham, ON L3T 6L614 December 2014
- early mornings
- Children everywhere
- Always have to be cheerful
- Very hot weather
- Usually only one break a day
- Extremely nice co-workers
- The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing smiles everyday and being outside. Plus I love sports and teaching was just awesome
- Hardest part was knowing your getting paid minimum wage but you still have to do your job.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
A lot less then minimum wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Adventure Valley Day Camp. Our community is ready to answer.

Adventure Valley Day Camp Reviews by Job Title