Adventure Valley Day Camp

Adventure Valley Day Camp Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
Fun place to work
I worked at AVDC for 2 summers and it was the best summer camp experience I had since I went to summer camp. Everyone is so welcoming and supportive - you really become part of the work family when you start. They are super flexible if you have a sudden doctors appointment pop up, and if you are having a tough day everyone tries to help it go smoothly to take some stress off. I loved working at AVDC and I am going to miss everyone this summer.
27 February 2020
Thank you! <3 Not sure who is posting but I'm sure we will miss you this summer :)
Big oof
To be honest, camp culture at AV can be seen as either a positive or a negative depending on how "campy" you are. Positive, if you buy into the your upper staff are ur friends and love to participate in the activities and Friday Fun Day (which is often unorganized). Negative, if you see how the head staff treat employees who don't live up to certain expectations especially for returning staff, if little pay gets you down, if you find constant peppiness obnoxious. Tbh, a fine place to work for ur first year. As the years go on though, you start to see layers unfold or get treated poorly, unappreciated. There was an incident in August 2018 with a lot of staff getting food poisoning, and getting very sick that was never apologized for by the head staff responsible for it (in fact they were laughed at for still being sick halfway through the day, when they were sick all day. Many had to participate in rigorous physical acitivity while barely functioning, or were too incapacitated to be able to. This was during colour wars, which is often a mess.).
There is also a culture of "you have to return" with disregard for many people's lives outside of camp.

Honestly, hit or miss. Only work here if you're campy, like children, dont need a lot of money, and get along with head staff.

A good first job, after my 2018 experience I wouldn't return there though.
fun workplace you meet a lot of great people and have a memorable expierence
fun workplace you meet a lot of great people and have a memorable experience. i learned, how too problem solve, how to be proactive, and got a better understanding of my co workers, and children.
27 February 2020
Thanks for the kind words! We strive to have each staff member learn and grow and it feels great to see we were successful :)
Learning opportunity
Great place to work as a first experience. Other employees are very welcoming, and the same with head staff members. You need to be energetic enough to handle happy kids.
Good
Its summer camp so you can't really expect good wages, you get paid like $1 an hour and they find ways to fire people 3/4 of the way through their contracts so that they don't have to pay them in full.
9 December 2019
Hi friend,
I'm so sorry you feel like we go out of our way to find reasons to fire people. I'm not sure where you got that impression from - I just double checked and there have been 0 firings over the past two summers. If you have any concerns you wish to discuss, I'd be happy to hear your feedback - we always want to make camp a better and better place for our staff.

Cheers

- AV Team
Warning:do not work here
I worked here for march break a few years back.
Not only was I under payed (6 dollars per hour) but I was under-qualified for the tasks they had me do.

The manager at the time had me do one on one supervision of a boy with down-syndrome.

My main duty the entire time was to take care of the boy with down-syndrome. This in itself wasn't bad as he was a great child....

However, I was 17, with little experience with children, no camp experience and no experience with differently-abled children.

Even though normally a specialized camp counselor with the sole responsibility of caring for a child with down-syndrome SHOULD get paid more...I was not.

I feel as though I was taken advantage of due to my young age and inexperience.

However, since this was years ago, I never thought of reporting this job before.

This job experience ruined wanting to work at camps with children.

However, I have recently been looking for jobs working with children and often still see ADVENTURE VALLEY postings.

Figured I would inform others not to EVER apply here.
Pros
Experience with differently-abled children. Free food. Atmosphere. Free transportation.
Cons
Pay. Work responsibilities. Distance. Management. lack of teamwork. Long hours.
30 April 2019
Hi friend
We are so sorry that you had a negative experience working with us at camp. We always try to incorporate feedback from our staff to improve, learn, and grow. I'm not sure when you worked here, since in my memory (2015 forwards) the above has not happened. I encourage you to reach out to us privately to share detailed feedback, so we can make sure that other staff do not have negative experiences. I encourage all potential staff to take this review with a grain of salt, as it is definitely outdated :)

Cheers

- AVDC Team
Good Camp but could be even greater.
I knew the original Director of this camp. So I was kinda shocked that management had changed but all in all still a well run camp. Should think of a 3-5 year capital plan to update the site.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
poor site condition
Fun Environment and Excellent staff
The camp is so much Fun, has very Good management and provides excellent opportunities to grow. The staff is supper friendly and fun. However, like other private camps the pay is very low.
Pros
free weekly pizza
Cons
inefficient break times for some staff
Great community and many support groups
The salary may not be very high, especially if you just start working there but the people and staff are extremely approachable and easy to get along with. There are tons of activities and easy way to gain communication and leadership experience. The staff are also trained in counselling and can be approached with almost any issues that are bothering you.
Pros
Free Lunch on Friday
Cons
Tiresome hours working with kids for so long.
Fun and exciting environment
The management, staff, and fellow counselors made this a safe space to work, play, and spend time ins for all - children and staff alike. Everyone was friendly and approachable and the children's safety and fun came first
Pros
Great lunch options
Cons
Not enough staff at times
had lots of fun working there
it was fun working at Adventure Valley Day Camp.i had a lot of experience working with kids. Working with kids is a little stressful that was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
job security
Cons
An okay place to work, if you don't need money
Best for high school students, as they don't pay minimum wage and don't seem to appreciate employees too much. No benefits and the management isn't the best, as they don't tend to keep employees on for more than a year.
Fun Place
Adventure Valley Day Camp was a very good first job for me. My co-workers were always nice and respectful to others and put everyone else before them.
Fun Environment
Learned a lot about how to talk to customers and staff.
A typical day consisted of rounding up the kids off the bus, taking attendance, making sure everyone is where they need to be. Then giving kids their schedule and taking them to their activities. Once my group was handled, I went to my scheduled period where I ran an activity. If my activity wasn't scheduled, I would go assist another coach. Then take kids to lunch and swimming, then at the end of the day, I would take them to their bus.

The people were amazing it was always a fun environment.

Most enjoyable part was making connections with co workers and campers.

Hardest part was dealing with the extreme heat, and long hours everyday out in the sun.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
long days, no real breaks
A lot of work for little pay
since this is a camp, they don't pay hourly rates. We worked from 7:30 - 4:30 on weekdays for 8 weeks and were only paid $1500. During the day we would teach 6 instructional programs and lifeguarded for the rest of the day.
Pros
Experience
Cons
low pay
Fun if you love working with kids
A typical day at work would be following your schedule, taking your kids to the different activities and making sure they eat their lunches, making sure they swim, and making sure you know what bus they go on at the end of the day.

I learned patience, organizational skills, and time management

Times were rough, management wasn't that smooth, seeing as though it's a summer camp

I loved my co-workers! They, (other than the kids) were one of the best parts of going to camp! They were fun, friendly, funny, and all very outgoing and accepting.

The hardest part of the job was making sure you don't miss your bus in the morning and waking up really early every single day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the weekends off, having free lunches, and getting time to relax (sometimes)
Pros
Free lunches, and fun working with kids
Cons
Fun if you're only doing it for experience
Poor management - It was better before the new owners came, Terrible lunches, MOST counsellors don't have their CPR or Criminal background checked. Long hours. Activities are ran by counsellors, which is fun, but if a cabin counsellor does not want to teach the kids then your kids are missing out. LOW pay $200 a week basically if you are 18 and over.
Pros
Being around great kids
Cons
Long hours, Management, Food, Salary, co-workers
A private company that allowed me to be with children independently without supervision.
I have been working with his camp for a few years now, I love this company. A typical day of work would start off at 8:30 in the morning and end at 4:00pm. These days are packed with activities and helping assist my campers will anything they need as well as making each day the best it can be. I've learned how to deal with all types of campers and their personal needs as well as being able to talk to their parents if need be. Additionally i've learned a lot of professional skills and be able to give a good example to everyone around me. My co-workers were very kind and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be adapting to new ages of children. The most enjoyable part of this job was that even though it was hard work i had got to create close bonds with my campers and leave them upset when it was the end of the summer. I was the best feeling knowing that i did a exceptional job.
Pros
Bus transportation, free lunch, close to home
Cons
Not paid for over time
Very fun but hard workplace
- early mornings
- Children everywhere

- Always have to be cheerful

- Very hot weather

- Usually only one break a day

- Extremely nice co-workers

- The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing smiles everyday and being outside. Plus I love sports and teaching was just awesome

- Hardest part was knowing your getting paid minimum wage but you still have to do your job.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
A lot less then minimum wage