Addiction Canada

Addiction Canada Employee Reviews

My experience as an employee
Overall, I liked my job. It has so much potential to be a great facility, topping all others. However, those high up do not manage the money adequately, causing paychecks to come in late, and for some, never. Some workers have been owed for over a year and were fired for minor things when they complained. Others just quit. Staff rotates often, due to fear of the facility not offereing any kind of job security. If they got their act together and treated employees like valued staff, it would go a long way.
Pros
Helping people find a better life, free from addiction.
Cons
Lack of job security; salary seems optional to those in charge.
No longer around
Always worried if you will get paid or if you have a job. Very stressful work place. Management worked hard on keeping the place going. Ownership also worked hard to many outside interference
Pros
Team
Cons
Stress
Not recommended
I love my job but there's many reasons not to stay: i never received my salary on time, policies are not being followed,expired medications are being kept, it's part of my job to call the client's family and update them everyday but phone is not provided and we use our own,admin can easily kick staff out anytime they want to,poor management.
It's fulfilling being a part of the client's success.
Pros
Helping the clients
Cons
Salary, management, policy
A wonderful and fulfilling job knowing your helping those in need.
A wonderful experience helping those in need, It is a wonderful feeling when those who want help receive it and are able to move on with their lives in a healthy way of living.
Pros
seeing people get well
Cons
The way clients pay for treatment
horrible
nothing good to say, it was a bad experience, the days were long and we were not paid overtime nor were we paid for worked holidays and were not allowed to book our vacation days, they were assigned.
Pros
Excellent work environment, excellent management
A typical day at work would be to clean all facilities including detox rooms, washrooms, living facilities, kitchen and dining room, and maintenance such as painting. I also worked part time doing front desk receptionist, answering incoming phone calls about the facility as well as any questions potential clients may have had.
The skills i learned was to always treat the clients with the utmost respect and never judge a book by its cover. The management was excellent and always willing to assist when needed, as well as provide clarity if needed as well.

The hardest part of the job was the long commute to and from work everyday, as it was a 2 hour drive each way.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the clients and learning their stories and about their lives as well as being around my excellent co-workers.
Bon travail d'equipe
Personnel engagé, un beau endroit pour la clientèle. Pas de considération au niveau salarial.
Pros
Bon travail d'équipe
Cons
salaires
Not paid, just like hundreds of others who have worked here
Everything was decent until around May, then pay checks started bouncing. By July everyone was quitting because everyone was owed bounced pays. No vendors ever paid, clients going missing on a daily due to little to no staff. Employees at work in tears because they are broke. I myself and still owed 4 pay checks. I was an accountant so I saw it all unfold.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Bounced/missing pay checks
Due to management, a toxic work environment
Staff not being paid on time, or at all; and replacement cheques issued, bounced; vendors not being paid; dictatorship and micromanagement; any wages at the low end of the scale; no benefits; no retirement plan.
Worst corrupt company yet.
Worst place ever if you are a honest person.Money went missing lots,and lack of boundaies with client and workers.If you got paid you were one of few.Management always misleading clients and families.Clients put in vunerable situations,including forest fires.
Pros
setting beautiful
Cons
Management terrible
Great new restructuring
I have been at the Alberta facility since it opened in 2015 and I can say we have had some changes as in upgrades and service levels provided. Our location recently saw an all new restructuring raising the level of therapeutic staff being replaced by more qualified and professional staff to included those with years of experience and the highest levels of education to provide the best care for all the clients no matter what addictions or disorders they are suffering from. The recent change in staffing and restructuring has left a few that were let go quite disgruntled in a small community due to the recent year's economy being effected. This is very unfortunate that the former staff did not understand the need for change to raise the level of care in the face of the growing needs here in Alberta for solutions in addiction treatment as so many deaths have been reported in our province due to fentanyl. Our full medical detox is 2nd to none with some great new health care staff experienced with the medical needs of those detoxing from drugs or alcohol.
Pros
Fullfilling position, knowing saving people's lives
Cons
long hours but fullfilling
Terrible company to work for
At times there were some very good caring employees who were there for the right reasons. But bounced or late pay cheques became routine. As staff left for whatever reason final paycheques not paid some times upwards of 5-10 thousand dollars despite roe stating monies were paid. Alberta labour standards claims when they request paper work it is never forthcoming. Court orders in Ontario ignored which I'm sure is the same thing that will happen in Alberta.
Pros
knowing a difference was made on occasion
Cons
Wondering each pay day if you were getting paid
A terrible place to work
This company does NOT pay it's staff... Routinely pay cheques are returned NSF final pay cheques are never provided despite orders from the labour board
Outstanding individual treatment plans
I have been employed with Addiction Canada since April 2015 in our Alberta location. I have the pleasure to work with an outstanding diverse team of medial, counselling, security, cooks, housekeeping and matenience staff that support our facility and clients needs.
Our medical detox allows our clients to detox with as little discomfort as possible. Our facility provides individual one on one counselling sessions, family counselling, group meetings, and a full daily program schedule for all clients. We also have daily activities, weekly outings, on site gym, dry sauna and also provide massage therapy, and meditation as well.

The hardest part of my job is seeing the damage addiction causes to an individual and their families.

I feel blessed and privileged to be apart of the transformation that takes place with each individual that completes our program. Addiction Canada is a very caring, and compassionate company that goes above and beyond for clients, their families and employees
******Leaves You Feeling Good******
A fast pace environment that keeps you busy and on your feet, everyday is different which is what I love about my job here, we have a great management team that works well together, as well as amazing staff!!!! I find the hardest part of the job is watching all our successful clients leave and wonder where they go? how are they doing? The most enjoyable part you ask...... is watching the changes they go through pushing themselves to be the best they can be!!Working their program.... The Addiction Canada Program!!!!!!
Overall great place to work and love the idea of conquering Addictions
I am an Addiction Counselor at the Glendon location and we have a great team headed by a very good clinical director. We work great together and see so many great stories and success in those stories evolve. Men and women truly evolve into someone new who no longer is in the stranglehold of their addiction no matter what it is. We have an awesome medical team that helps our clients through some of the worse withdrawal imaginable. The food served and the kitchen staff headed by our chef serve up some great dishes for all to enjoy. We are proud of our centre and what we do.
Pros
Loving your job and seeing success walk out to the world
Cons
So many still suffer from addictions in Alberta that dont reach out.
Really good place for work and helping addictions
I have been employed since the facility ion Alberta opened and it has grown to be the very best Addiction facility in Alberta. We work with others in the same fields of expertise with support by management that is great. I can say that the medical and detox staff are second to none and every patient that goes through detox is very happy with coming through with as little discomfort as possible. The facility mandates that we counseling staff provide, document and sign off on 3-4 one on ones with each of our primary clients/patients. The clients also see the psychologist and social workers weekly as well.
Many of the clients over the past 7 months have raved about their treatment and continue to stay in touch through our and the organizations aftercare program. This organization further impresses me by the way they work with the community as I am from the local area myself and we have helped many of our locals and their families with all the addiction needs in many times of crisis. Overall Addiction Canada is a good company to work for and as witnessed by working for them since the 2nd location in Alberta opened I hope to stay with them for a very long time.
Pros
top notch medical detox, great therapy team, great caring management
Cons
gossip and rumors and past employees with hidden agendas
unethical work place which is understaffed
I've worked there thinking it was going to be an amazing place to be as I absolutely love my career path and choice in life which is being able to help individuals on many levels. The facility was brand new and opened its doors way too early. Clients rooms were not even ready. There was no teaching materials or anything in the facility for counsellors to use. The facility is so understaffed. There are way too many clients per staff numbers and Clients are not given their minimum of three daily one on one counselling sessions as is promised to families and clients who are paying a lot for treatment. I found out over time that not everyone was qualified or licensed or skilled enough as the website states so clients unfortunately we're not given proper professional care that they all evenly deserved. Also, there were so many boundaries crossed with both staff and clients and staff with other staff members who were below them. The unethical situations I had witnessed in that facility were so wrong on so many levels so therefore I had to leave, especially after bringing issues to the management team and nobody caring to fix the wrong.
Pros
Some amazing medical staff as well as housekeeping and security employees
Cons
No benefits
A huge house with many rooms for clients
We were implementing the 12 steps of Alcoholic Anonymous , by reading the 12 steps books then every patient talks about himself and I provided scientific knowledge about addiction, causes of relapse etc..
Also there was one-on-one sessions for every patient to discuss their problems and provide guidance through the recovery phase and thereafter when they go back to their normal lives.

The facility where I was working was closed shortly after I was hired because of serious damage in the house from water leak (the Newmarket location).

I learned much about the work setting in Canada. Manager was excellent . Co-workers were cooperative and seeked the best outcome for the patients. The hardest part of the job was driving 40 km to go to work and 40 km to go home. the most enjoyable part was the success in helping patients to go back to their normal life.
Pros
Free coffee and lunch
Cons
No benefits
Great staff, nice environment.
On a typical day at work I feel comfortable and relieved to go in, I am in a great and comforting environment with people that are really relatable. I learn how to deal with clients that do not have our traditions or rules in their best interest and I have much help with our great management and amazing staff. the hardest part of the job is to be able to go home at the end of the day and not be exhausted (what job isn't like that?). The best part about my job is being close to a field I would love to be in, and being able to react to people that have experience where I would like to be in the future.
Pros
Soemtimes we get meals, the chef is amazing!
Cons
sometimes we are given long hours
12 step based residential treatment facility
This company is an excellent company to work for. With all it's locations it provides a network of treatment for those suffering from addiction issues. With it's wide range of services including detox, residential treatment and aftercare programs it allows for a lot of experience to be gained.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Addiction Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8