ACORN Canada Employee Reviews

Volunteer for community
Tax and Benefits Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 May 2019
Great place to learn about taxes and to help those in need.
Management was disorganized.
Friendly people and fellow volunteers.
You do things and learn on your own.
Good advocacy training bu with uncomfortable tactics
Social Justice Organizer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2019
This organization has a great goal: to lower the barriers that low-income people often face in participating in civic life and give them a politically powerful voice.

But I was often uncomfortable with their tactics with regard to their membership. There were a lot of ethical lines being skirted here.
Pros
Great training in advocating for good causes
Cons
Can offer little immediate help to people you meet who desperately need it; emotionally draining.
Challenging but rewarding work
Organizer (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC17 July 2018
Was employed with ACORN in BC for over 5 years. You have to want to do the work and be able to see how it is important and different from most (if not all) non profits.

Results aren't experienced overnight, but if you stick with it you'll be on a team that is effective in its goal of making real changes for our low income communities.

The job also provides great experience that is applicable to a variety of fields.
Pros
Empowering
Cons
At times you can feel pulled in multiple directions
$15 per hour to start - raises, benefits, paid travel to cool places
Regional Head Organizer (Current Employee) –  GHTA17 May 2018
I work at ACORN. It has allowed me to be constructive in making the changes I want to see in the world.. Over the years have been trained up from a young field organizer to running large campaigns and managing the significant organizational power we have amassed. Getting organized working people into a room with the mayor, or the CEO, or the Minister of Housing, and forcing the powers that be to treat them with respect, is awesome. Where else can you do this?

Pay has gone up since I started in 2005. $15 per hour for PT and equivalent for the full time organizers. I have not calculated my hourly wage but I make $52,000 a year. The executive director / head organizer makes a bit more than that, but not much more. It's a reasonable salary scale that ACORN's low and moderate income members determines.
Pros
They pay you to learn how to do real organizing work; Travel; not mundane, benefits
Cons
You have to work hard - but what good comes from not working hard?
Real social justice work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa and Quebec1 November 2017
ACORN is amazing and I loved working for them for over a decade. I gained so many skills and built many relationships. Working with low income people directly to build their skills to organize is so unique and rewarding, nothing else like it!

If you care about social justice and real grassroots work- this is for you. You can really make a difference for the lowest income people, and it’s extremely rewarding.
Pros
Real grassroots work, not bureaucratic, room for advancement early on
Cons
There’s a lot of injustice to fight!
Difficult Work, Great Idea
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2017
It takes a certain type of personality to be a canvasser and I just wasn't cut out for that kind of work. The boss was also super stressed all the time which trickled down to staff.
Pros
great idea
Social justice
Community organizer, (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2013
in ACORN we were dedicated to empowering the less fortunate, and to get their voices heard
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACORN Canada. Our community is ready to answer.