ACE Vegetation Service Employee Reviews

All the reviews on here are falsified
Certified herbicide applicator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB2 June 2019
All the reviews from February 2019 are obviously fabricated and falsified by the management. February is when ace does all of the hiring of new employees. Working for ACE was one of the worst experiences of my life. Most of the people who worked with me would say the same. During orientation they hired 60+ new employees, with only about 5-10 return from previous seasons. Wonder why? Well the management is corrupt and they take money off of your pay cheque without a valid reason. All the equipment is old and breaks down constantly, is very stressful. They make you sign all these contracts so you are forced to stay there and have a miserable time and be treated like garbage. There are many other companies out there that have a way higher starting rate and great their employees with respect. Do yourself a favour and don’t fall for the fabricated reviews.
Great Outdoor job for diligent Students
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB24 February 2019
From my own personal experience I would say that Ace Vegetation is a great place to work for any students throughout the year. Being someone who loves to be outdoors, physically works hard, enjoys doing some easy math and putting neat notes together this job really suited me. If you put in the hard work and pay attention in training the rest of the summer will fly by!
Pros
Outdoors, traveling, navigating, loads of different experience
Cons
Could possibly be away from home for long stretches
Easy work with good people and good pay
Pesticide applicator (Former Employee) –  Leduc County, AB22 February 2019
Ace is an amazing place to work as long as you don't mind long days and working away from home for a summer. The managers and supervisors are very accommodating and understanding. The job offers a certain amount of freedom such as starting as early or as late as you want. They also take into consideration where you would like to work and will try to get you as close as they can. I would Highly recommend this job to anyone who enjoys outdoor work and keeping busy.
Pros
Outdoors, keeps you busy, nice people, great pay
Cons
long hours, weather dependent
Exciting job that gives a great life experience
Vegetation Control (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB20 February 2019
The job is great to get to know other people, to possibly travel around Western Canada and is a great job for university students looking for really good pay.
Typical days are long but rewarding as you get lots of overtime pay. It is only a four month job so more hours the better anyways.
My experience of management is great as the person was easy to reach and to help with any questions.
Pros
Food allowance each day.
Cons
away from home lots
Great Opportunity for Summer Students!
Lead Sprayer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB & Southern AB19 February 2019
This job is amazing if you are a student looking to stay out of debt or anyone wanting to get into the environmental or reclamation areas of work! I paid for 4.5 years of university plus all living expenses/rent and still had savings leftover well into the next summer of work. I then stayed on additional years to save for a down payment on a house. You give up your summer to work but you get extensive oilfield training and certifications that will benefit you at any future job and you can make some really good lifelong friends on the job. They have one of the best training programs in the industry and if you do a good job they'll ask you back for additional summers (saves the panic of looking for work mid school year). Yes this job can be hard work and you are away from home for the summer but, everything travel related is paid for and you get daily food allowances. You'll gain so many relevant life and job related skills and learn how to be independent in a working environment. Anyone commenting that the work is too hard or not what they were expecting were probably not listening when the job was explained to them in detail in every stage of the hiring and training process. I highly recommend working for this company!
Pros
Expenses (travel, meals) paid for, lots of money to be made and overtime hours, extensive training and certifications, learn a lot of skills that will only benefit you later in life!
Cons
Long hours, away from home.
Bad working environment
Herbicide Applicator (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan18 February 2019
Disorganized management and uncoordinated company. Constant long hours of tedious work. Job turned out to be very different than was described in the job interview. Never home, on the road the whole time. Old equipment constant breakdowns. Not paid well enough for the work you do. Company is bad at paying hotels and bed and breakfasts on time.
Pros
Cons
A lot
Good place to work and get your foot in the door for the oilfield
Pesticide applicator (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan12 February 2019
I worked for ace for two summers while going through college and it was a great place to make good money! The managers and co workers were easy going and could get along with them great. You do work long hours but the pay makes up for it. If you’re looking to get into the oilfield this looks great on a resume and can get you your basic oilfield certificates for you!
Pros
Good money, looks good on a resume
Cons
Long hours, away from home
Work hard and get rewarded
Assistant vegetation management tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2019
Working with ace vegetation was not easy but it taught me discipline and how to take pride in my work. The hours are very long but I'll never forget the people I met there or the work that I had done. You get paid well and they pay BLD as well as covering the cost of your hotels. You won't have much of a life outside of work but it helped me get through school without having a part time job during the semesters which was awesome.
Pros
Bld, great management, good wage
Cons
Long hours, no free time
fast paced environment that offers field experience and the ability to save money
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan & Manitoba11 February 2019
I was a VMT for ACE for 3 seasons, the main reason I did this job was to pay for my university expenses. I worked hard in the summer and didn't have to take out student loans. This was a huge motivation for me, I have friends 10 years later still paying off their student loans. This is a full time position and then some, you won't be home. I worked with family member each season and I really enjoyed the experience and work. I also made new friends each summer with the other crews and in a way you do give up your social life/friends from home but you gain new ones. ACE provided all the necessary training and tools for me to operate comfortably in the field. I had no previous experience prior, the two week training period along with in field training equipped me with the necessary skills. Accommodations and meal allowance was provided, plus we drove ACE's vehicle and each crew had a credit card for company related expenses. I had no out of pocket expenses which allowed me to save for tuition/rent.

I am still with ACE, I moved into a full time position after school. I enjoy the diversity and the fast paced environment. We still work hard in the summer months, we have our downtime in the late fall/winter months. I have the ability to work from home and set my own schedule when things are slower which is a great thing to have. After working at ACE I wouldn't be able to settle in to a 9-5 job 5 days a week. I would be too bored. I have enjoyed my experience with ACE, I wouldn't be here this long if it wasn't a good place to work.
Great Way to Make Money and Not Spend
Vegetation Management Technician/Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 February 2019
I have now worked multiple seasons for Ace Vegetation, mostly to get myself through university. I can't say that I loved every minute of it, but I am happy to have worked there.

The job can be physically and emotionally challenging. You need to go into it with your eyes wide open. It involves 12 hour work days, in the summer heat, with bugs, and in the field. You can be away from home for months. You are at the mercy of the weather, if it's to wet or hot or windy you won't be able to work. You have to be outside in full PPE and physically working. You usually work with one person primarily for the summer.

However, if you can learn to make the best of those situations the job is really good! The hourly wage is dependent on passing licensing exams that the company pays for you to take. You get paid overtime for anything over 44 hours in a week. Your accommodations are covered on the road. You get paid a living allowance to help with meals unless you are in a camp, which has all your meal covered. The company provides a truck and a credit card to cover work-related expenses such as gas. No, you won't have much of social life, but that just means all the money you are making for working all those hours is being saved!

If you are not averse to hard work, being on the road and not having a major social life then I recommend Ace wholeheartedly!
Pros
Accomodations and meal included, seeing new places
Cons
On the road a lot
Great summer job opportunity
Weed sprayer/ crew supervisor (Former Employee) –  Western Canada9 February 2019
I worked for ACE for 3 years as a university student and had a great time and made some life long friends. If you are willing to put time and work hard ACE is a great opportunity and you will advance as you return each year. You will get the opportunity to see a lot of western Canada, earn a good salary and learn a lot.

If you expect this job to be 8-5 and have every weekend off it is likely not the position for you. It is however, a great position for a student or someone who is interested in earning a good salary over the summer. ACE gives you a huge number of certificates and training that can be used for future jobs as well as giving you a huge amount of responsibility and the opportunity to advance. Equipment is generally in good condition and supervisors are reasonable and flexible.
Great summer job!
Pesticide Applicator (summer student) (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 February 2019
Working for ACE as a summer student was a great experience. The staff is friendly and helpful and go to great lengths to make sure you are safe and comfortable doing your job. The hours are long and you live out of hotels for the summer, but the experience and wage makes it well worth it. Crews are sent out with a new truck, equipment, phone, and credit card and have audits done by staff throughout the summer. Almost all expenses are paid for while you are on the road so saving for school is a breeze. One of the best parts of the job is getting to explore Western Canada!
Pros
Staff, wage, travel
Great Job and Perfect for Summer Student
Herbicide Applicator (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan, Manitoba8 February 2019
I had a great time with this company and it had a lot of opportunity for overtime which was perfect as I was a summer student. Worked with some great people in the Saskatchewan and Manitoba provinces with a great supportive supervisor.

Good job for people who have drive and want a summer job working outdoors earning money. Be prepared to work hard but have an enjoyable summer with good people travelling around the provinces!
Pros
Travel and hotels paid for
Great full time summer job
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
If you want to work hard and make a lot of money, work for ACE. Pay is good but the real money comes in during overtime, so expect to work lots of hours. This is a FULL time summer job (6 days a week) and you can be working a province or two away so don’t expect to be home every weekend, but again you make a LOT of money. They provide you with all the skills and knowledge for the job and if you study and pass your herbicide applicator exam you are paid more which adds up with the overtime. Get used to living in hotels or in camps and living out of a suitcase and meals are paid for. Expect to drive many miles and spray for many hours in the sun but the amount of money in your account at the end of the summer is completely worth it.
Pros
Money, meals and hotel paid for
Cons
Working in the heat
Great Company- Educational, Supportive & Great Experience
Vegetation Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
They provide you with great educational opportunity in Pesticide Application and ensure that you are covered with the proper safety training. They cover your hotel stays as well as meal allowance. They provide you with nice trucks and equipment.
The hours are long and it is away from home- as expected with a job in an oilfield but they make it worth it. If you aren't ready to do a days work and make your money honestly, this probably is not the job for you. If you want to work and make great money- especially as a University student with limited summer time. If you are a student and don't want debt with school- do this job. It is better to spend a short summer working hard than long years in debt. I loved working at Ace and I loved all the great friends that I made with the job and I would have never expected such an amazing experience working on the oil field. Loved it.
Pros
Training, environment, coworkers, good pay
Cons
Overall great place to work and you make alot of money in a single summer.
Industrial Pesticides Applicator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
My experience at ace vegetation was great overall. The first few weeks of training are slow and rather boring. However, once training is done you get to go out and be outside for the entire summer and you get paid very well doing so. You are away from home for the majority of the summer but the money you make in the end is 100% worth it. Everyone I dealt with on the management side of Ace Vegetation was pleasant for the most part and I had no issues. Most of the summer is spent with just your crew members so you make great friends and have a good time as well.

Another great part about the job is that all of your expenses are essentially paid for through the meal allowance they give you everyday. This is good because it allows you to save all your money and you end up with a large sum in your pocket at the end of the summer.
Pros
Meal allowance, accomodations covered, get to be outside all summer, make tons of money in overtime.
Cons
Long days, can be tough in the heat of the summer
Good hard work, really good field experience
Pesticide Applicator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
This is excellent for students looking to make as much money as possible over a summer. The pay is good, and the amount of overtime a person can accumulate is astounding. Things are generally fast paced, so the risk of getting bored is very low.That is one of the main reasons I loved this job. And it was good physical work, which was a nice change from school.
It also really helped me develop time, money and situational management skills, as well as problem solving skills.
Another bonus is, you get to work with teams quite a bit of the time, which means meeting new cool people. And because you live and work with a partner, bringing a friend could make it one heck of a summer!
Pros
$$$, Cool people, Travel/see much of western Canada
Cons
Strong wind and rain may cause delays in work
Great workplace with many opportunities
Vegetation Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
ACE is a great company to work for, after 4 summers with them I have learned so many new skills that will help me through life and I got to experience things I never thought I would, remote location spraying from a helicopter is just one example. They pay for food($42/day) and hotels and give you a brand new truck and cell phone for the summer. Good pay(automatic raise if you pass the pesticide exams), hard work and up to 84 hours a week(time and a half after 44) makes for an amazing summer income for any student or adult. Being on the road away from home you get to travel and see different parts of Canada, you’re free to do whatever on your days off, find a beach to lounge around or go to the amusement park! Supervisors are very helpful and always available if you have questions or are unsure of anything. Safe work environment with audits done throughout the summer on crews. Best of all you get to work outside all summer, and make some lifelong friends while at ACE.
Pros
Good pay, helpful supervisors, great experience
Cons
Away from home, long hours
Productive place, teaches you responsibility, and work ethic among other beneficial attributes
Vegetation management technician (Former Employee) –  Western Canada (operated out of Nisku, Alberta)8 February 2019
Very enjoyable job. The only part that wasn't fantastic was living out of a hotel all summer, but with the 12 hour days, it's not much of a problem. The staff, and management I found were fantastic. You meet a lot of excellent people. The best part for me was the experience that I got. Prior to starting work, you are put through 2 weeks of training, in which you receive multiple tickets that help you with future job prospects. The company invests roughly 3500$ per person to make sure you know safety, and how to do your job. The work is not demanding at all, the days are just long. But longer days I find are better. You're always busy which makes the day go by faster. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are paid for too which is a huge bonus, so you get to save your money quite well. The pay, with overtime, is excellent. You're only working for 4 months during the summer, so these long hours are certainly doable, the summer goes by fast. As a student, I made more than enough money to cover tuition and housing. Overall, this job was an excellent opportunity to develop skills, and experience for future endeavors. I highly recommend working here, as it will ultimately be beneficial to your future, and it is very enjoyable as far as work goes.
Pros
Bld, management, staff, job in general
Cons
Live in hotels
Great summer job for students
Sprayer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB8 February 2019
If you’re a student looking for a summer job that has no expenses then look no further. Being away from home for four months teaches you independence and the job itself teaches you how to handle major responsibility. By working there for three summers I’ve saved enough to travel and pay my student loans, so people, the pay is GREAT. You won’t find another summer job that pays that well, trust me I’ve looked. Every summer they give you an incentive to come back by offering a raise, and every summer you move up in the ranks of spraying as you get more comfortable with the job. The management that I have experienced is awesome, most supervisors really care about the job and their sprayers which makes work enjoyable. You get to be really close friends with your coworkers as we are all in the same boat, which is usually some small town in Saskatchewan. The work is hard and hot but the overall experience makes it all worth it!
Pros
Bld, Get to work outdoors, great pay, great work atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, pretty rad farmers tan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ACE Vegetation Service. Our community is ready to answer.

ACE Vegetation Service Reviews by Location