Acadia University Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS19 February 2019
I really enjoyed being able to switch into different postings throughout the whole entire building so that was really fun, one day was never the same really unless you were in a permanent position! most of the
Pros
lots of shifts avavilble in different areas
Cons
uniforms are a thick material whiwch can be very hot in the kitchen areas
Great place to work & gain first responder experience
Safety & Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS19 December 2018
Shifts would be 12 hour shifts, 4 days on and 4 days off and 2 of those shifts would be days and the other 2 would be nights. This type of scheduled was tough on you but it was always nice to have 4 days off.

Shifts would always be different, one shift you might be driving around in the patrol car and be doing parking enforcement and handing out parking tickets, then the next shift you will be responding to a call of someone over dosing and you have to provide first aid. The main major issues that you will be dealing with has to do with intoxicated students. My co-workers on my platoon were amazing and I would trust my life with them, working along side local police, fire, and EMS was great as well. The main issue I had with the job was the pay was fairly low for what we were expect to deal with.
Pros
platoon members, rewarding work/felt like you made a difference
Cons
pay grade, dealing with the same drunken ignorant individuals on a weekly bases
Coaching
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS23 September 2018
I coached football after I was done playing. I did not get paid. It was not a job. It was fun coaching for my college team. I definitely would do it again.
Student research job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS26 August 2018
Relaxed worked environment. Weekly tasks could be completed on your time schedule so long as the work quota was met/exceeded. Pay wasnt great, but then again what can you expect for a student job.
It is good place to work
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS12 August 2018
Working here was fun and stuff was nice. It is an undergraduate institution so doesn't have adequate research facilities. As I worked as a postdoc here, I could not progress much.
Varies between each academic year, no set job description
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS4 August 2018
Every position is temporary but jobs are very secure for the year, and you are almost guaranteed to be rehired the next year. Training is long and tedious and while it is helpful, most of it is forgotten by employees and many mistakes happen and procedures do not get followed. Most of the job description is up in the air.
Pros
Very social job
Cons
poor organization
Health and Wellness Representative
University Intermural Referee and Social Convener (Current Employee) –  Wolfville, NS9 March 2018
Volunteering for House Council has been very good. I help create and make events/fundraisers happen. The president of House council is excellent at communicating and being a well-rounded person. I really enjoy being creative when it comes to planning. I also like being involved in making a community for my residence building.
Pros
Creating unity within my residence building
Good and peaceful
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS5 March 2018
Easy job for me.
Need patience with students.
Works averagely three to four hours per week.
Professors are kind. If having any problems, I could directly go talk to them.
Great Company
Safety and Security (Current Employee) –  Wolfville, NS29 January 2018
Amazing opportunity of work during my studies. They give all the support that you need. An amazing place as my first actual job in Canada, with amazing people
Great experiences making memories that will last a lifetime
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS21 December 2017
Fantastic place to learn and grow as a student or graduated individual. I was able to transfer the skills I learned in my undergrad into real life situations to gain a better workplace knowledge.
Great Learning Experience
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS16 November 2017
It was a great starting job to get my feet wet in the teaching environment. Beautiful campus with lovely buildings. You get a free gym membership and access to the student chorus groups.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of Leadership
TA ing was a rewarding experience
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS11 November 2017
Working as a teacher's assistant at Acadia was a rewarding experience and a great way to flex your academic muscles while testing your knowledge of the subject matter. Any student looking for supplementary income should try to find a TA position
Simple, Low Paying, Short Hours.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS4 July 2017
A low paying but simple job with relaxed scheduling and general ease when it came to finding covering for shifts, how ever not a wide range of hours available to work; many shifts were only one and a half hours long.
Cons
Short hours
Fun Work Place
Event Security and Campus Patrol (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS22 April 2017
On a daily basis, its our responsibility to enforce the rules. I've lean a lot about the school itself and managing my time. The culture is diverse which is a good thing because it makes students feel comfortable.
Pros
Meet students
Cons
standing at all times
Fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS17 January 2017
Typical marking assignments, helping out with lab teachings, feedback to the prof. Would definitely recommend if you have the free time and would like to make some money on the side
Friendly and enjoyable
Box Office Technician (Current Employee) –  Box Office15 December 2016
Working at the Acadia Box Office has been the best part of my Acadia experience. Meeting patrons and promoting events have been the two most enjoyable parts of the job.
Good experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 October 2016
I liked it overall. I did a masters degree and was employed as a research assistant. I could have had a better experience if the school was bigger and had more interesting projects
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Low compensation
Special Events Agent
Special Events Agent, Safety and Security (Former Employee) –  Wolfvi26 April 2016
Since it was a part time job that I did while I was in school, one could chose the shifts, according to their studying schedule. The shifts lasted from 2 to 7 hours.
Employees were required to patrol the premises as a team, and constantly communicate with one another. My team members were easy to work with, even if we did not agree on issues, we were extremely amicable with one another.
The hardest part of the job, was standing for long hours, or being presented with an incident, where the police had to be contacted.
The most enjoyable part of the job, was feeling fulfilled, knowing that you are working hard to keep the school safe.
Pros
Several Breaks
Cons
Long hour standing periods
Amazing University
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS3 November 2015
This School was the highlight of my University Career, amazing professors and worked at gym and it was an amazing job. Really do recommend working there or going to school there.
Pros
Very Liberal as long as you get the work done.
Cons
Low Hours of Training
A small university
Lecturer, Faculty of Business (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia20 September 2014
LECTURER, FACULTY OF BUSINESS

Taught a variety of business courses (mainly finance) to undergrduate students.