Acadia University

Acadia University Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
looking back at Acadia, I realized I learned so much in a very short period of time. being a research assistant allowed me to experience the different methods of research and improved my both awareness and focus on issues that we need to address in the literature.
Being a teaching assistant at Acadia University is the perfect part-time job for students looking to make extra cash and build their resume while in school.
Learned lots about the history of the buildings and about old wiring codes. got to learn a bit on maintenance.Hard job and I appreciate anybody that works there in every department
A typical day at work is variable and a lot fun. My duties include prepare a barbecue for students or hiking in cape split. Might be some difficulties on get involved with students and create enjoyable events for them. it leads me to improve my organization and relation skills as well as empowers me to work with new programs for students.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
low paid
I was employed at Acadia as a masters student, and do not include as a job on my resume, but in order to highlight my time their on this website, I needed to list it as work experince.
I learned valuable time management skills, as I would be given a multitude of assignments and quizzes to mark while doing my course work. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharpening my older skills, and helping students pass the courses.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long Hours
You were a regular student who also had the responsibility of taking care of other students. Your door was open so residents could come and talk to you about anything and you had a team to back you up if you had to write people up or create a punishment. You were never alone and anything could happen. Covered my room and half of the food costs so it was a great way to make going to school away from home great and doable.
Pros
free room
Cons
You had to be able to handle yourself in any situation
I really enjoyed being able to switch into different postings throughout the whole entire building so that was really fun, one day was never the same really unless you were in a permanent position! most of the
Pros
lots of shifts avavilble in different areas
Cons
uniforms are a thick material whiwch can be very hot in the kitchen areas
Offered an opportunity to work as a contractor instructor for the music program teaching young adults the art of dance and movement of dance and history.
Pros
Easy Teaching Schedule
Cons
Lack of mentorship, leadership unavailability. First time instructor not given any guidance.
Shifts would be 12 hour shifts, 4 days on and 4 days off and 2 of those shifts would be days and the other 2 would be nights. This type of scheduled was tough on you but it was always nice to have 4 days off.

Shifts would always be different, one shift you might be driving around in the patrol car and be doing parking enforcement and handing out parking tickets, then the next shift you will be responding to a call of someone over dosing and you have to provide first aid. The main major issues that you will be dealing with has to do with intoxicated students. My co-workers on my platoon were amazing and I would trust my life with them, working along side local police, fire, and EMS was great as well. The main issue I had with the job was the pay was fairly low for what we were expect to deal with.
Pros
platoon members, rewarding work/felt like you made a difference
Cons
pay grade, dealing with the same drunken ignorant individuals on a weekly bases
I coached football after I was done playing. I did not get paid. It was not a job. It was fun coaching for my college team. I definitely would do it again.
Relaxed worked environment. Weekly tasks could be completed on your time schedule so long as the work quota was met/exceeded. Pay wasnt great, but then again what can you expect for a student job.
Working here was fun and stuff was nice. It is an undergraduate institution so doesn't have adequate research facilities. As I worked as a postdoc here, I could not progress much.
Every position is temporary but jobs are very secure for the year, and you are almost guaranteed to be rehired the next year. Training is long and tedious and while it is helpful, most of it is forgotten by employees and many mistakes happen and procedures do not get followed. Most of the job description is up in the air.
Pros
Very social job
Cons
poor organization
Volunteering for House Council has been very good. I help create and make events/fundraisers happen. The president of House council is excellent at communicating and being a well-rounded person. I really enjoy being creative when it comes to planning. I also like being involved in making a community for my residence building.
Pros
Creating unity within my residence building
Easy job for me.
Need patience with students.

Works averagely three to four hours per week.

Professors are kind. If having any problems, I could directly go talk to them.
Amazing opportunity of work during my studies. They give all the support that you need. An amazing place as my first actual job in Canada, with amazing people
Fantastic place to learn and grow as a student or graduated individual. I was able to transfer the skills I learned in my undergrad into real life situations to gain a better workplace knowledge.
It was a great starting job to get my feet wet in the teaching environment. Beautiful campus with lovely buildings. You get a free gym membership and access to the student chorus groups.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of Leadership
Working as a teacher's assistant at Acadia was a rewarding experience and a great way to flex your academic muscles while testing your knowledge of the subject matter. Any student looking for supplementary income should try to find a TA position
A low paying but simple job with relaxed scheduling and general ease when it came to finding covering for shifts, how ever not a wide range of hours available to work; many shifts were only one and a half hours long.
Cons
Short hours