Abbott

Abbott: 75 Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews

Found 75 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,595 reviews

Decent salary and benefits

Worked as a medical sales in Abbott Vascular. Decent salary along with medical and dental benefits. Workplace culture is fast paced, with a lot of traveling.

Great workplace to learn

Hired right out of graduate school and have learned a lot. Management is always supportive and ready to help you gain new skill sets and grow in your career.

Insights into Abbott

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Great place to work if you can get your foot in the door

Great coworkers, meaningful work, challenging and lots of opportunities to learn, and mostly supportive managers. Lots of employee advancement depending on your department. BUT they tend to hire employees on contract first and can take up to 2 years to offer full time. The contract pay is good but no benefits in that time. Most people work very hard and are happy to do so but the work can be very stressful and overwhelming at times. Employee engagement is very good, good cafeteria and lots of resources available.

Pros

Free coffee, good cafeteria, teamwork, supportive management, good pay

Cons

you may be stuck on contract for up to 2 years, corporate decisions rule over all

Good pay, long hours, no advancement.

It's a decent place to work if you just need money but if you are looking to build a real career, you will struggle to move around in the company. Management is disorganized and make silly decisions. They hire through an agency so they have the flexibility to remove people when they need.

Pros

decent pay and easy work

Cons

Long hours, boring, can be laid off anytime, no ability to move around in the company.

Relaxing and friendly work environment

This only applies in my department, but as a student, it is one of the least stressful work environments that I've worked at. Managers and supervisors are always there to help and provide you with the necessary information for you to provide good service to the customer. They have a good workplace culture - everyone is courteous and friendly.

Pros

They provide free lunches during special occasions and gifts provided during the holidays

Cons

The job can be quite repetitive and monotonous & under contract thus meaning no social benefits

Great Coworkers, Interesting Work, Slimy/Two-faced Management

The coworkers are the best part of the company, they are generally friendly, helpful, and cooperative. The work was mainly data analysis, protocol authorization and execution, experiment troubleshooting, data integrity checks, blood requisition, and bench studies. The job hours were 8am-5pm with a 1 hour lunch (unpaid) and two 15 minute breaks (paid).The workload is fairly intense, there's stuff you'll have to do at home to finish on time. They'll tell you not to but realistically you have to for certain projects to stay on schedule. The salary was paid by a temporary agency and was ~$32/hour. Abbott doesn't really have an HR department so most of that of work is contracted out to temp agencies.Word of warning: IF YOU ARE CONTRACT YOU CAN BE LAID OFF AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE AND ABBOTT IS NOT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A REASON. I moved across the province to start work with the company at its Ottawa location. bout 3 months in I received a phone call after one of my shifts that I had been terminated. I was offered no explanation besides "it just doesn't seem like the right fit". I'm open to all kinds of criticism, I relish it because it is a learning opportunity and a chance to improve. However, at no point during my tenure was I ever informed about any dissatisfaction with my performance. Literally none. I worked my hardest for them, often during my own time at home and on weekends, in order to help the company achieve its goals as efficiently as possible. Not once was I ever approached or notified that my work failed to meet standards. I feel like I had a great repertoire with -

Pros

Develop and enhance skills

Cons

You are just another cog in the machine

Excellent experience

Excellent service and I’m willing to be a part of this company. I’ll be one of the asset.if you gonna hired me thank you for time and understanding.i can answer that box because I’m not hire yet hire me first thank you

Great cafeteria and lounge area, individual workers were great.

Great facilities and great pay. Great individual workers. Work wasn't what was advertised after nearly 4 months. Work is contracted and constantly renewed with no real promise of being taken on permanently. More and more is automated so no real job security for line workers

Pros

Great facilities

Cons

Long hours, cold managment.

A changé ma perception du domaine...

Abbott ne prends pas soin de ses employés, la gestion y est très mauvaises et leurs pratiques laissent à désirer. Life better..

Pros

Aucun

Cons

Beaucoup

Great prior to 2019

GM's come and go every few years. Great GM who left in Oct 2018. New GM - no comment!! The staff make the environment great. Benefits and perks are not great. HR very vague in the information they give you to make you come to work there, but once you sign on, you quickly figure out that HR were not truthful about bonuses and vacation.

Productive work and friendly environment

people are very friendly and co-operative. Work is repetitive and one can get tired of doing same work everyday and cannot learn any new thing. Very limited growth.

Repetitive work with no work advancement

Very repetitive work and not much opportunity for advancement. Office was very small and talking to other employees and chatting was actively frowded upon.

Create people to work with however currently understaffed.

Many ongoing projects but insufficient resources to complete them well in a timely manner. There is not enough focus on employee career development, all development meetings are more progress updates for projects for the company.

Pros

Good People

Cons

Insufficient Staffing

Productive and easy going work place.

Really good company to work for with a great workplace culture making it easy for new employees to integrate. The sites are well laid out, clean and very modern while being heavily geared towards employee health and safety.

Fast pace environment

Fast pace work environment, work life balance, patient focused, sales focused, strategic planning, strong emphasis of training, internal mentoring, process driven

abusive work environment

I was a contract worker with Adecco with no benefits, and the full time staff would take advantage of you. They would take extra long breaks while you had to operate their machine and your machine at the same time even though it was against FDA regulations. When we got inspected by the FDA we were told to only work on one machine. The management is not honest. The full time staff were bitter and would pick fights with the Adecco employees. We had no rights. I was assaulted by two full time staff members but of course they would say it was a joke because they had all the rights to do what they wanted with you. When you make a complaint about their behaviour the management whitewashing the incident and then turns the table on you by gaslighting and making you out to be the villain. The whole interview was about whether you can get along with difficult employees so they are not shy about saying it at the get go. It's a warning.

Pros

occasional free lunch

Cons

long hours and abusive staff and flaky management

If you can avoid working there

Abbott pays well, but there is no way you will grow in this company. You can have the same position for years and years. They will make promises they won't keep. AVOID AT ALL COST!

Productive and fun work place

Productive and fun work place, fair, offered competitive salary and benefits, room for career advancement. Vacation days dependent on years of stay with Abbott starting at 1 week paid vacation

productive

the people that i am working with are great* the manager and the management also the training is well updated, the wont let you hanging, the support is great

Pros

with incentives on too of salary

Cons

long hours, less time with family and travels a lot

Great Company Not so Great Division

From a Macro perspective Abbott is a Fortune 500 Company that has a stellar reputation as an excellent employer. From a Micro perspective the Diabetes Division in Canada had its challenges. Most years the division didn't hits it's sales goals and targets usually where adjusted down to try and retain talent (some years had an almost 50% turn over rate).

Productive and professional workplace

Company is very productive with lean team size and each individual is clear for their objective and goals. Also, the company has a very professional workplace where well organized and support respective teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abbott. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement