Abbott Laboratories Employee Reviews

As long as you are not on CONTRACT
Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa8 December 2017
Good people to work with. Very poor management. Very hiarchy oriented. Lots of problems for every solution. They hire a lot of contract workers since they don't really care about their front line employees. Let them go as needed after using their services. You are just a number.
Pros
Great cafeteria space
Cons
Contract workers are treated very poorly
Abbott made sure that employees were treated well.
Manager, Business Systems (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 November 2017
Abbott had many interesting projects on the go. I enjoyed working with the people in Canada as well as those at HO in Chicago who were always interested in contributing to our projects in Canada and not dictating what had to be done.
Abbott is an illusion.
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2017
The Abbott brand, is nothing but an illusion. What they say they value and what they actually value is completely different. Quality, safety, innovation, opportunity, loyalty is all trumped by one thing and that's their bottom line and maintaining the status quo. The more profits they make, greedier they get. They value their shareholders more than their own employees. They let go hard working dedicated veterans to hire unexperienced contractors for half the cost and if you are hired through an agency, you will be treated as third class. If you are night shift, you might as well be invisible. They do not value anyones opinion unless you are part of the management team or a highly educated engineer even if you do have the right answers. Half the management team is incompetent and only care about making themselves look good no matter who they have to throw under the bus. The other half have no choice but to follow what is asked of them and spend to much time defending the bad ones. They will never admit fault or take responsibility for their own actions. They like to start new projects but no one ever follows through anything.

If you just want a steady paycheck and and go home after your shift, this might be a good place to work. But if you want to make something of yourself and value integrity and honesty, this isn't for you.
Pros
Decent salary, good benefits, stock options and valuable education for those who qualify.
Cons
Horrible management, poor moral, and very greedy.
Productive and fun place to work
Operator I- R&D, Barcoding, Final Packaging (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 September 2017
It was a great place to work at , it was professional and secure. Job security is very low. Nice clean and friendly environment to work.in. Co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
free meals and little gifts
Cons
Job security is low
Rewarding work with decent promotion potential
Lab Operator III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2017
Abbott is a great place to work in general, the managers are competent and appreciate their team members. The workload was well-balanced and there are opportunities for overtime in most positions. The culture is mostly positive, with the ability to learn from specialists in a variety of fields.

There are issues with them using temporary staffing agencies and those do not provide good benefits. They also tend to move staff around between departments, especially if you are in the lower positions, so the job you are hired for is not necessarily what you will be doing day-to-day. Also, you may be required to move to a different department/job in order to get hired officially by Abbott (and getting benefits) as opposed to working as a temp.
Super projet
Coordonnateur, développement des emballages (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 September 2017
Rédiger et implanter la procédure de développement des emballages pharmaceutiques et former les employés concernés
• Créé un service interne de coordination et de production d’emballages
Expérience de travail enrichissante
Nutrition Communication Agent (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC10 September 2017
Cette expérience de travail m'a permis de voir et de vivre ce qu'est que de travailler dans une compagnie stable et très axée sur la réussite.
Decline over the last 2 years
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2017
Over the last 2 years, the common theme around the the office is "you never thought it could get worse but it does". Bringing in people from other Abbott sites to manage departments, yet they have no idea how to manage, lead or let alone understand the topic (example:production planning). The management that remains (not from other Abbott sites) have no back bone to stand up to do what is right for the employees.

They all lead by fear of perpetual layoffs. They lay off all of the experienced resources to bring in younger cheaper resources, that take years to come up to the same level as the people they laid off.

If you are not a "yes" person to everything, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Pay is competitive, benefits are decent (not great)
Cons
Management (Plant Manager, Slt, Managers)
Worse job ever.
IT Site Support (Network, Voice, Workstation) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2017
They laid off their IT department just to hire us, contractors for half the money.
They expected us to be on call, without being paid and without telling us up front.
We, contractors were treated like second hand (not to say third hand employees)

I will return there only if I starve (and even than I will give a second thought)
Good company
Senior Medical Representative (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 April 2017
Good company with great employee support. Great products with strong pipeline. Great training. Good opportunity for career advancement. Average job security.
Pros
Strong pipeline
Cons
Average job security
Great company if you have no life
SOLUTIONS SALES SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Canada3 April 2017
It is a big company, and it has some amazing directors and managers. On the other side, it lacks teamwork and requires improvement in team communication.
This produces one of the highest turnovers I have ever seen. I saw people leaving after just one week of work.
Cons
No work life balance
professional evironment and a wide scope of learning new things with supporting management.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2017
one of the best places to work. Hard work is the secret of this company's success. very supportive co-workers and management is up to date. there is nothing hard about this job because the staff believes in working as a team.
Great Workplace
Quebec - Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QC12 February 2017
The position was very interesting and I learned so much about hospital contracts and paying out of extra feature if customer met their quotas.
Also, I worked closely with the V.P. of Marketing who taught me how to run statistics in order for him to make decisions on prices.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Was let go as company cut 15% of employees by time served.
Life Balance
Sales and Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2017
Comfortable place to work.
Limited in careers opportunities because of size.
Paid above average but the demand quality.
Productive and enjoyable working scenario.
Pharmaceutical Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2016
My passion of being a pharmaceutical sales representative. Talking about the benefits and features of my products to health professional for me is an art. Applying my skills in communication.
Steady work, great envoironment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON28 October 2016
Very structured day, always something to do. Always working on continuous improvement to better working environment and cost savings.
Long term employees, most over 20 year service.
Pros
good pay
Cons
sometimes under appreciated
Great company
Documentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wolseley, SK24 October 2016
Was able to utilize my education and skills. Was able to advance. It was a very team oriented company. I would probably still be there if they hadn't closed the Wolseley Plant.
Pros
Very dynamic company
Cons
Closed the plant in Wolseley
Great international pharma company
SALES BUSINESS AND INVENTORY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 July 2016
Co-workers are friendly, with multi-culture background. Small team in Canada but with great support from global peers located in Europe and America.
Pros
Free cellphone, ipad, and good benefit package
Cons
long hours and intensive workload
Bad Work life balance - mgmt takes advantage
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 July 2016
In Field Service, ideally someone ought to balance home and work life. At Abbott Labs, the mentality is that your work is your family. Although the company annual retreats were fun and rewarding, the constant phone calls from MGMT and their minions made the experience very stressful.

Management takes advantage of naive immigrants in Toronto who aren't aware of their rights not to be harrassed, not to be named-called, and not to have overtime removed from their pay.

Worst of all, these internal failures within the company are apparent to the clients and they see this through the high turnover rate, continuous change in policies, and general complacency among the "team".
Pros
Work from home during standby
Cons
Harrassment from management
I worked with minimal supervision. Productive in my area. Good learning experience.
Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philippines9 June 2016
I usually work 8 hours a day but got service calls during wee hours. I learned the value of hard-work and patience in my job . The management is accommodating and have an open communication. My co-workers are friendly and open. The hardest part of my job is when I cannot fix the instrument on time. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I fix the instrument the quickest time possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abbott Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K