Abbotsford School District

Abbotsford School District Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
I am lucky enough I have a very supportive Boss. They leave and trust me with the job. I am able to deliver more than their expectation. It's convenient because it's close to home. Fixed schedule.
They're pretty relaxed if you're casual and need time off but that's also because they pay so much less than every other district that they're hurting for employees
Good overall workplace culture. Work alone, generally, so you can pace yourself. Supervisors are informative and available. Equipment and supplies are in good condition and eco-friendly.
Pros
work close to home
Cons
work at night
Be careful! You might get hurt by the international program management style. Hope this constructive feedback help you find a healthy work place. If you want to build your work experience, go a head.
Being on call as a casual EA is pretty chaotic. Sometimes hardly getting 30 mins notice to get to a school.
SD #34 pays the lowest hourly rate for EAs out of all school districts in BC due to the Teamsters union contract.
Since I was only there for 6 months, and I TOC at several locations, might be hard to give an accurate review but each school had very committed and dedicated team of professionals
Pros
small school district
Cons
not enough TOC's
Great place to work, however, the salary makes it hard to advance. Sometimes get called into work for a 2-4 hour shift. This makes it difficult if you are commuting out of the city.
You get to work in a busy and active environment. Intense, stressful, full filling and rewarding. Many opportunities for support with fellow CYCW's and outside agencies.
Working as an Education Assistant is a very rewarding career. To be able to help a child progress to another level of understanding no matter how long it takes is the one of the highlights of my career. Working with a team filled with caring individual is what I look forward to every day on my way to work. The hardest part of my day is when another person is in distress for whatever reason. My goal every day is let others know just how valuable they are as a person and that things will get better. I have always had the utmost respect for management. They have worked hard to get where they are today and I always respect all sound decisions they make .
Pros
Caring team members
Cons
people in distress
Assist students in completing school work
Helping them reach their learning outcomes

Providing strategies to overcome difficult situations

Assisting in behavioural challenges

Working with at-risk youth

Providing a safe environment for the students
Love working here, with the kids and teachers, to see how everyone is different in the teaching ways! Being able to go to different schools every day is nice. But being a casual with kids and getting called in 15 minutes before a shift starts is really hard most times
Pros
you get proper breaks
Cons
being on casual last minute
I love working with the children and the school district. The staff are all supportive and care about all their students.
Cons
not enough hours
I loved working here. the atmosphere and the staff made it great. it was an opportunity to facilitate change and guide troubled youth to better choices and direction
A varied day where you learn, help, assist and relate with co-workers, teachers, administrators and students.

The hardest part of the day is dealing with behavior issues and waiting for opportunities to help students, and not knowing how to help a student.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when kids are in a good mood and are friendly and desire your help.

Management, teachers and co-workers generally supportive and quite friendly. Lots of appreciation and fun times throughout the year!
Pros
Free lunches/snacks, good pay, professional development days, great hours.
Cons
Hours are not full time. No opportunity to rise above salary.
Everyday of work is different and challenging

I've learned how to work with many different types of people successfully

Awesome co workers who love their jobs

Hardest part of the job is working in a different environment everyday not knowing what to expect ( from being on call)

Most enjoyable part of the job is everyday is something new and the work is rewarding
Pros
Awesome hours
Cons
Start On call
Abbotsford School district is cutting edge in curriculum design, technology and the quality of its teachers and leaders.

For an institutional organization, it is progressive and somewhat flat in organizational design.

With a team-based focus with a dream of 100% graduation, Abbotsford School District is an employer of choice.
Pros
Open to ideas and change. Progressive
Cons
Public Education has a heavy workload