Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre

Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
Better than some jobs out there, not a lot of room for advancement. Below average pay for trades, government reduced wages. Budget constraints means making do with less than nothing sometimes. Some job security, benefits are worth a lot but that doesn't put food on the table.
Pros
Public sector, long term employment
Cons
I enjoy chatting with the different patients and trying to help brighten their day a little. When I was a patient at the hospital I remember chatting with the people collecting my blood and they left a positive impression with me and I want to do the same. Because I was a patient for 3 months I can really relate to those patients who have had enough of being in the hospital and are tired of being poked. I don't want the patients who I see think they are just a number on my list of draws to do during the day. They need to feel important, listened to and cared about.
Have gained a lot of experience and practical knowledge. Have worked well within a team of multiple disciplines. Opportunity to impact the lives of others exists on a day to day basis.
A typical day consist of showing up to not having enough cleaning supply’s like garbage bags, cloths, paper towel, chemicals for cleaning to start your day. Then as the shift progresses being pulled away from your posted position to do other people’s work and expectations for you to complete your work as well. Being worked off your feet everyday. Management talks to your coworkers about you and if they decide they don’t like you, you go on there hit list. They make new rules up every week and make you sign a paper saying you will follow the new rules even if it contradicts your collective agreement. Work place culture is a Authoritarian that encourages backstabbing and bulling.
Pros
Cons
Heavy workload, understaffed, poor management.
A typical work day usually starts off as it normally does each day. However what happens in the work day is always different especially since it comes with dealing with the public and the patience in the hospital. The management is wonderful, friendly but as well retains a professional and management relationship. The hardest part of the job is the people who you may come across that behave in a difficult manner (patience and even the public). And the most enjoyable part of my job is the team I work with, always fun, collaborative and supportive.
Pros
The wonderful people you get to work with
Cons
Slow and quite days
The centre is relatively new (under 10 years old) and nicely appointed with plenty of space. The staff are all very friendly. There are many opportunities for advancing research ideas.
It was ok but I didn't have job security despite of my hard work/loyalty and pride of my job.My disability manager told me to find job in walmart I felt so devastated and dwell it.I've work hard in favor of the health care system,but this is what I get in return.
Pros
I work with pride in a tertiary hospital
Cons
long and shifting hours drain individuals health
great co-workers with lots of autonomy among the team. Great team approach to healthcare.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7