A Bread Affair

A Bread Affair Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Please Avoid
The owner of the bakery is very unstable and distrustful of employees. Staff turnover is very high, and as a result bakers will often have to do the responsibilities of a kitchen helper as well as their own kitchen duties. Management is very strict about overtime, forcing staff to sign a document saying they would not be paid for overtime unless a supervisor signs off on it 30 minutes before the end of the shift, yet there is an expectation that you will stay overtime should the daily tasks not be completed. Communication among leadership is poor. This is not a supportive environment for someone new to the industry. The healthcare plan is very very bad, many medications are not covered.
Worst Job of My Life
If you do not want to be emotionally and mentally abused: do not work here. Multiple health code violations, multiple employment standards violations.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Great people to work with
A Bread Affair is a great place to work. It has awesome people and a fun working environment. Customers are great. And it has a great mission of promoting local and organic product.
Worst management ever
Management doesn't know how to train. Will never see what you do right always wrong. All employees are treated harshly, owners are rude and dont have any patience. Hours are cut from your pay, they expect you to stay and finish your work but your not paid for it. Mice run around every where and the management just laughs about it. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here.
A fast pace work environment with lots of room to expand
It was a fun place to work with lots of ways to grow in experience as a baker and as a warehouse employee. Good management and a fast pace environment.
Do Not Work Here if You Value Your Sanity! (Updated)
Firstly, they force an averaging agreement on you and do not adhere to the provincial labour code on how to do it. You will be frequently shorted hours on your paycheck, or you will be scheduled additional days off because they use the "averaging agreement" as a way to make people believe they should be paid less because they "signed something" of which they never actually did sign.

Advancement is non-existent if you are not on the owners favourite people list. Doesn't matter how skilled or talented you are or how hard you work, If they do not like you, you will get nothing. They do very noticeably play favorites here. Not only that, but during the hiring process, they promised regular performance reviews. I didn't have a single one in my time there. None after probation (3 months) and after 6 months (offered benefits).

They need to work on their maintenance and pest control, but they are too cheap to maintain equipment properly, or provide equipment to streamline certain processes. As for pest control, there were mice and rats in the bakery for months and they didn't do anything actively about it until the health authority showed up and told them to do it. You can look it up publicly on the health authority website for Langley city.

The management part of this company is absolutely silly. They seem to think they're a fortune500 megacompany and they bog everything down with unnecessary bureaucracy, policies and such. Let's get real here: it is a medium format bakery. They only hurt themselves by making everything more convoluted and it adds a huge amount of unnecessary
 - more...
Pros
Competitive wages for entry level jobs/labour, excellent product and ingredients
Cons
Everything else
Facepalm
Their Bread is very good (besides the baguettes)

But, they have(had) no Operations Manager. In my time at the company, the last one they had got fired, for quote "not doing his Job good enough". He also had a very, very shady past (Red Flag) and due to that he should not even been hired in the first place. But I guess he was one of there only options back then.

If you talk and try to get information about the things that go on in the company from Team Leaders you quickly realize that there is a lot of turnover and very much complaining from the owners. They hire people with 0 experience in baking/kitchen (let alone culinary training) and demand a great product. That doesn’t work like that. If a person that has years of education and previous work experience in baking/kitchen starts at the company, they get the same Starting wage as anybody else. I dont even know why they post 14-18$ per hour if everybody gets the same wage.

In my time at the Company the two Team Leaders were both people that had left the Bakery and then later called back because (the owners) found out magically that they were good employees. Based on this they don’t care about you. (Update: One of these re-hired team-leads has quit for the second time)

As the Bakery is operating 24/7 there is no in-depth cleaning going on. The Bakery is dirty, and the owners should take this matter more serious. There were Rats present for months and it wasn’t takin serious enough, Couche cloths hanging half in waste bins to later be used. Couche cloths with rat droppings, to name the more serious stuff.

Also
 - more...
Pros
Great Product, Fun People (when owners are not present)
Cons
Excessive hours Incorrect pay of overtime Filthy Bakery No Growthy in Company Incorrect wage pay
Would not work again
I would not recommend this company to anyone. In fact, I would adamantly avoid it. There’s no work life balance, the owners are difficult to deal with (too emotionally volatile, biased, play favourites) there’s no work culture, it’s super filthy in the production area all of the time. It’s not an pleasant environment to work in - not one part of it. Don’t be fooled.
Cons
Long hours, no culture or friendly faces, monotonous work, not compensated well enough
good people to your face,but behind your back is another story
over work their employees, they dont care about your health and safety as long as the job gets done the way they want it, they dont care what happens to you. if you have any health problems, specially long term they will find any way to get rid of you, they will even lie to your face making you think their doing good but really their doing it just to get rid of you faster. they dont care about your well being as long as you do what your told.
Pros
employee discount on bread
Cons
everything else
Its your lifestyle
I wanna say if you are a pastry chef you know that this is not an easy job! as someone who experienced working in this fields, i know that if you are in a good and famous place with a high volume of customers everyday you wont have fixed days off and you have to face lots of deadlines and fast days cause as much as you have the experience there will still be lots of days that you can not anticipate some factors in them in the pastry industry.
At the same time, the owners of these companies have to face a huge amount of stress and responsibilities and checking hard on staff doesn't mean that they dont value their staff, it means they need you to be as responsible as them self's. which is all you want from your staff.

as someone who is here, whenever i needed a day off i sent an email and i always got it.

I like they way of training at the beginning and i feel all the staff are lovely and polite and the whole character of being a Family Oriented style of this company is something that i really enjoy which gives me the time to hang out with the people that i worked with out of the job and in fun times too.
Beware -
Owners simply do not give a bleep about their employees. Employees are overworked and abused, walking on eggshells for 8 to 10 hours a day so as to not bring attention to themselves, since otherwise they'll get screamed at and loudly fired by the undiagnosed and unmedicated husband-and-wife owners. Just don't. It's not worth it.
Pros
free samples, lovely coworkers
Cons
literally everything else.
2 October 2018
Really? It is not a reasonable belief to build an organic artisan bakery without a great team to help make it happen. We pay for our staff team additional education, for health and first aid certificates, we facilitate registration for the Red Seal Training programmes and provide for time off to attend classes.
Your personal attacks on individuals will not be commented on.

Clearly it did not work out for you. Let's wish you the best of success at your next position.
You get pushed to the limits
This is not a good place to work. You are not allowed to take any brakes even though you are working full time hours. Training is horrible. You get pushed to the limits, never a time to take water, heavy lifting and unreasonable demands. They don't even have a bun divider to cut buns. Expectations are too high for very little pay. Terrible hours. I don't recommend you to work in this place.
Pros
Good product
Cons
You are selling your soul to the upper management for little money.
2 October 2018
As a baker, I appreciate your comments about the great quality of the product. As to your comments about breaks, we have breaks and our staff team is expected to take them. There are times that the breaks are moved to deal with the dough. As a baker, you would know that time and temperature control the flow of our artisan products. It is not a machine operator but rather an artisan baker that has success in our bakery.

As to selling your soul, I can assure you that we have no trade in souls and if you have lost your soul, maybe some searching will help you find it.
Worst place I’ve ever worked.
Great products, I absolutely love the bread. I just cannot support such a horrible company. The owners wonder why they have so much turnover. But they fire people for work safe claims, for taking vacation and pretty much anyone who has a life outside working. They lie and there’s actually a whole website of people explaining their horrible stories of them working at the Bread Affair.
Pros
They have a great product.
Cons
Horrible management, crazy amount of turnover.
Terrible Management...revolving door of employees
I liked the job and the people I was working with, management was just not ideal. I not only did Administrative duties, I also helped them managed their vehicles as well.
Pros
Awesome Co-Workers
Cons
Long Hours, Little Pay, Poor Management
2 October 2018
We did have an individual employed with A Bread Affair several years ago that "volunteered" to help with vehicle maintenance. And while it did not work out for that person, the contribution to vehicle maintenance was neither encouraged nor of use as the individual did not have the skill set to perform those tasks.
I am truly sorry things did not work out for you, but I am sure that you will achieve success in the future. Its been a couple of years now, but we still wish you the best of success.
Great product, poor company
Warning for anybody thinking about applying:
Staff is very over worked and underappreciated. Overtime is not compensated- averaging agreement is in place but it is not followed properly. Hours are regularly missing (shorted) from pay cheques.

The owners/ managers are very hostile towards workers, especially if you dare ask for time off.

The only good things I can say is that they make the best bread in Vancouver, and they do pay a competitive wage.
Pros
Competitive wage, good discount, high quality products
Cons
Mismanaged, long hours, unfair compensation
2 October 2018
I am very concerned that you have stated overtime is not compensated. A Bread Affair literally pays thousands of hours of overtime each year. You would have signed an averaging agreement when you started and it was explained in detail the basis of the agreement.
Hours are logged on a time clock. If you believed hours were missing, you had access to the time clock records to see for yourself.

Owners are not involved in requesting time off. As you would have been aware, the Request for time off policy was included in your starting package. You need to send in a request for time off and it would have been dealt with by your Team Leader. Neither management or owners are team leaders. We have had, on many occasions individuals requesting time off outside of the process and they are consistently advised to follow procedure. This is likely the cause of your concern, as A Bread Affair grants over 90% of time off requests we receive!

I hope your next position works better for your lifestyle.
Organic Bakery heaven
Im a huge fan of organic and non-gmo so this bakeshop was perfect fpr me. I ride my bike so no issues parking on GI. I usually worked the morning shift so i would enjoy getting off early. Good benefits, training, nice managers and staff. overall a very positive work experience.
Pros
amazing bread, staff
Cons
Give this place a chance
If you like the smell of baked goods all day long then you will love this place! Right from the start they provide training and ongoing support, managers and staff are super friendly. Lots of room to move up if you work for it, good salary, and fun location (granville island!).
Pros
discounts, hours, benefits
Cons
not a morning person so morning shift was hard for me
Do the work, get rewarded
First, I really don't understand some of the bad reviews on here. Obviously if you are lazy, don't show up on time or don't get your work done things wont go so well for you. That's a JOB people!

I had a great experience working for a bread affair, I absolutely love their high quality products and it's a product I feel good about selling. Yes the atmosphere is fast paced (you're working on granville island afterall) and your co-workers are fast paced but if you're not used to that kind of an environment then don't apply in the first place. During my time I thought all the customers were awesome and the staff were even better. I enjoy fast paced day and I feel more productive that way. The managers are great and provide all the training you need. I loved the employee discount because honestly the breads and baked goods are to die for. Hope this helps.
Pros
discounts, room to advancement, training, nice staff
Cons
can be hard to find parking some days
2 October 2018
Thank you for your kind words. With your attitude, success in the future is virtually certain.
Not a place worth staying at
The bakery has very, very high turnover and it's easy to see why once you work there. The management makes it clear they don't value their employees and are generally unpleasant to interact with. Getting time off is a nightmare. They try to squeeze as much work out of every staff member as possible so breaks are short and you're always on a time crunch. The whole interview process and training isn't very professional. All of the above contribute to a work culture that isn't the most positive/happy/supportive, saved only by some of my other cowokers that were there during my time. Also their clock in and clock out system definitely seems to round questionably, so independently logging hours is a must.

The positives were that the wages are decent, usually about average for any given position at a comparable bakery. The other bakery staff were great during my time, though many people will leave if you stay long enough. You can also feel good about the product, it is pretty high quality and the employee discount allows you to afford it. I got to work a few farmer's markets and those are pretty fun.
Pros
Employee Discount, Generally good product
Cons
Management, Poor Culture
The owners were not professional
This company is all about taking advantage. They have the highest turn over because their management is poorly run. They only need you if it will benefit them. If their employee asks for a time off because they have their own life too, you will immediately be let go. Do not even think about applying here. They run ads for the same position every month. What a joke.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
2 October 2018
Thanks for the note. A Bread Affair is a growing organization and we are recruiting for additional staff. We work hard to find the right fit and our administration team has a responsibility to be accurate with the orders, formulas and distribution. We need to ensure individuals have the computer skills to work with our enterprise software.
As to time off, you would be aware of our request for time off policy and the process. It was part of your hire package. When our staff team request time off following that process, A Bread Affair grants it more than 90% of the time.

As an office Clerk in Langley, you would not have dealt with owners as part of your work at A Bread Affair. I do not understand how you would be able to make comments on their professionalism.
Terrible management
They have high turn over, poor training and the work is generally underpaid. I get the feeling that management doesnt value their workers and would not recommend.
Pros
Cons
bad management
2 October 2018
I am truly sorry you feel that way. With a minimum wage for any position in the bakery at $14./hour, and a $15.00 an hour minimum wage for our retail bakery clerks, perhaps working a retail position is not really something you want to do. Our wages are significantly above virtually every competitor.
I hope you will be able to find a better position for yourself.