A Bread Affair Employee Reviews

Would not work again
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC28 January 2019
I would not recommend this company to anyone. In fact, I would adamantly avoid it. There’s no work life balance, the owners are difficult to deal with (too emotionally volatile, biased, play favourites) there’s no work culture, it’s super filthy in the production area all of the time. It’s not an pleasant environment to work in - not one part of it. Don’t be fooled.
Cons
Long hours, no culture or friendly faces, monotonous work, not compensated well enough
Its your lifestyle
Pastry Chef (Current Employee) –  Granville, YT20 October 2018
I wanna say if you are a pastry chef you know that this is not an easy job! as someone who experienced working in this fields, i know that if you are in a good and famous place with a high volume of customers everyday you wont have fixed days off and you have to face lots of deadlines and fast days cause as much as you have the experience there will still be lots of days that you can not anticipate some factors in them in the pastry industry.
At the same time, the owners of these companies have to face a huge amount of stress and responsibilities and checking hard on staff doesn't mean that they dont value their staff, it means they need you to be as responsible as them self's. which is all you want from your staff.
as someone who is here, whenever i needed a day off i sent an email and i always got it.
I like they way of training at the beginning and i feel all the staff are lovely and polite and the whole character of being a Family Oriented style of this company is something that i really enjoy which gives me the time to hang out with the people that i worked with out of the job and in fun times too.
Beware -
Office Administration, Order Desk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC24 September 2018
Owners simply do not give a bleep about their employees. Employees are overworked and abused, walking on eggshells for 8 to 10 hours a day so as to not bring attention to themselves, since otherwise they'll get screamed at and loudly fired by the undiagnosed and unmedicated husband-and-wife owners. Just don't. It's not worth it.
Pros
free samples, lovely coworkers
Cons
literally everything else.
2 October 2018

Really? It is not a reasonable belief to build an organic artisan bakery without a great team to help make it happen. We pay for our staff team additional education, for health and first aid certificates, we facilitate registration for the Red Seal Training programmes and provide for time off to attend classes.
Your personal attacks on individuals will not be commented on.
Clearly it did not work out for you. Let's wish you the best of success at your next position.

You get pushed to the limits
Baker (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC21 August 2018
This is not a good place to work. You are not allowed to take any brakes even though you are working full time hours. Training is horrible. You get pushed to the limits, never a time to take water, heavy lifting and unreasonable demands. They don't even have a bun divider to cut buns. Expectations are too high for very little pay. Terrible hours. I don't recommend you to work in this place.
Pros
Good product
Cons
You are selling your soul to the upper management for little money.
2 October 2018

As a baker, I appreciate your comments about the great quality of the product. As to your comments about breaks, we have breaks and our staff team is expected to take them. There are times that the breaks are moved to deal with the dough. As a baker, you would know that time and temperature control the flow of our artisan products. It is not a machine operator but rather an artisan baker that has success in our bakery.

As to selling your soul, I can assure you that we have no trade in souls and if you have lost your soul, maybe some searching will help you find it.

Worst place I’ve ever worked.
Farmers market /delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 August 2018
Great products, I absolutely love the bread. I just cannot support such a horrible company. The owners wonder why they have so much turnover. But they fire people for work safe claims, for taking vacation and pretty much anyone who has a life outside working. They lie and there’s actually a whole website of people explaining their horrible stories of them working at the Bread Affair.
Pros
They have a great product.
Cons
Horrible management, crazy amount of turnover.
Terrible Management...revolving door of employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC27 July 2018
I liked the job and the people I was working with, management was just not ideal. I not only did Administrative duties, I also helped them managed their vehicles as well.
Pros
Awesome Co-Workers
Cons
Long Hours, Little Pay, Poor Management
2 October 2018

We did have an individual employed with A Bread Affair several years ago that "volunteered" to help with vehicle maintenance. And while it did not work out for that person, the contribution to vehicle maintenance was neither encouraged nor of use as the individual did not have the skill set to perform those tasks.
I am truly sorry things did not work out for you, but I am sure that you will achieve success in the future. Its been a couple of years now, but we still wish you the best of success.

Great product, poor company
Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2018
Warning for anybody thinking about applying:
Staff is very over worked and underappreciated. Overtime is not compensated- averaging agreement is in place but it is not followed properly. Hours are regularly missing (shorted) from pay cheques.
The owners/ managers are very hostile towards workers, especially if you dare ask for time off.

The only good things I can say is that they make the best bread in Vancouver, and they do pay a competitive wage.
Pros
Competitive wage, good discount, high quality products
Cons
Mismanaged, long hours, unfair compensation
2 October 2018

I am very concerned that you have stated overtime is not compensated. A Bread Affair literally pays thousands of hours of overtime each year. You would have signed an averaging agreement when you started and it was explained in detail the basis of the agreement.
Hours are logged on a time clock. If you believed hours were missing, you had access to the time clock records to see for yourself.
Owners are not involved in requesting time off. As you would have been aware, the Request for time off policy was included in your starting package. You need to send in a request for time off and it would have been dealt with by your Team Leader. Neither management or owners are team leaders. We have had, on many occasions individuals requesting time off outside of the process and they are consistently advised to follow procedure. This is likely the cause of your concern, as A Bread Affair grants over 90% of time off requests we receive!
I hope your next position works better for your lifestyle.

Organic Bakery heaven
baker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, bc16 June 2018
Im a huge fan of organic and non-gmo so this bakeshop was perfect fpr me. I ride my bike so no issues parking on GI. I usually worked the morning shift so i would enjoy getting off early. Good benefits, training, nice managers and staff. overall a very positive work experience.
Pros
amazing bread, staff
Cons
Give this place a chance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 June 2018
If you like the smell of baked goods all day long then you will love this place! Right from the start they provide training and ongoing support, managers and staff are super friendly. Lots of room to move up if you work for it, good salary, and fun location (granville island!).
Pros
discounts, hours, benefits
Cons
not a morning person so morning shift was hard for me
Do the work, get rewarded
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 June 2018
First, I really don't understand some of the bad reviews on here. Obviously if you are lazy, don't show up on time or don't get your work done things wont go so well for you. That's a JOB people!

I had a great experience working for a bread affair, I absolutely love their high quality products and it's a product I feel good about selling. Yes the atmosphere is fast paced (you're working on granville island afterall) and your co-workers are fast paced but if you're not used to that kind of an environment then don't apply in the first place. During my time I thought all the customers were awesome and the staff were even better. I enjoy fast paced day and I feel more productive that way. The managers are great and provide all the training you need. I loved the employee discount because honestly the breads and baked goods are to die for. Hope this helps.
Pros
discounts, room to advancement, training, nice staff
Cons
can be hard to find parking some days
2 October 2018

Thank you for your kind words. With your attitude, success in the future is virtually certain.

Not a place worth staying at
bakery clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 May 2018
The bakery has very, very high turnover and it's easy to see why once you work there. The management makes it clear they don't value their employees and are generally unpleasant to interact with. Getting time off is a nightmare. They try to squeeze as much work out of every staff member as possible so breaks are short and you're always on a time crunch. The whole interview process and training isn't very professional. All of the above contribute to a work culture that isn't the most positive/happy/supportive, saved only by some of my other cowokers that were there during my time. Also their clock in and clock out system definitely seems to round questionably, so independently logging hours is a must.

The positives were that the wages are decent, usually about average for any given position at a comparable bakery. The other bakery staff were great during my time, though many people will leave if you stay long enough. You can also feel good about the product, it is pretty high quality and the employee discount allows you to afford it. I got to work a few farmer's markets and those are pretty fun.
Pros
Employee Discount, Generally good product
Cons
Management, Poor Culture
The owners were not professional
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC12 May 2018
This company is all about taking advantage. They have the highest turn over because their management is poorly run. They only need you if it will benefit them. If their employee asks for a time off because they have their own life too, you will immediately be let go. Do not even think about applying here. They run ads for the same position every month. What a joke.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
2 October 2018

Thanks for the note. A Bread Affair is a growing organization and we are recruiting for additional staff. We work hard to find the right fit and our administration team has a responsibility to be accurate with the orders, formulas and distribution. We need to ensure individuals have the computer skills to work with our enterprise software.
As to time off, you would be aware of our request for time off policy and the process. It was part of your hire package. When our staff team request time off following that process, A Bread Affair grants it more than 90% of the time.

As an office Clerk in Langley, you would not have dealt with owners as part of your work at A Bread Affair. I do not understand how you would be able to make comments on their professionalism.

Terrible management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2018
They have high turn over, poor training and the work is generally underpaid. I get the feeling that management doesnt value their workers and would not recommend.
Pros
Cons
bad management
2 October 2018

I am truly sorry you feel that way. With a minimum wage for any position in the bakery at $14./hour, and a $15.00 an hour minimum wage for our retail bakery clerks, perhaps working a retail position is not really something you want to do. Our wages are significantly above virtually every competitor.
I hope you will be able to find a better position for yourself.

Working at A Bread Affair
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC21 March 2017
Great atmosphere, fun co-workers, and always busy. Lots of room for advancement within the company and they will give you a chance to do so as you express interest.
Pros
Discounted bread
Cons
short breaks
Fun and friendly work
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC27 September 2016
A Bread Affair is an environment with fresh happy faces and a good aroma to be around for your shift. There are many different aspects to the bakery so your night is never boring. If you like to move around and work with your hands this is a job for you. I love my job and don't mind getting a little dirty (if you bake at home you already know with baking comes flour and with flour comes mess) managers are easy to talk to and they allow your schedual to be flexible. Sometimes shifts go a little past 12 pm on Langley location so living close or having a ride home will relieve stress about needing to find a ride home after work. I didn't know how to do any baking before this job and I have learnt a lot through it.
Pros
Stress free environment and not boring, have whole day to enjoy before work
Creative, fun, and inspirational work place!
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 August 2016
I really enjoy working for A Bread Affair! The co-workers are very easy to get along with and the owners are easy going and fair. I don't know why there are so many bad reviews about these guys but I have been working for ABA for almost 2 years now and I just don't get it. The Granville Island location is beautiful and there is always so many fun things going on. It is never a dull day here! The customers are pleasant and it is always busy which makes the time fly by! I am new to the city so working for ABA has helped me make so many new friends. The breads and pastries are delicious and I love that anything we don't sell gets donated. There is true heart behind this bakery and I want others to know that as well.
Pros
Great location, meet lots of new people, good hours
The Company That You'll Be Happy To Be A Part Of
Baker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 August 2016
Browsing through the current Indeed reviews for this company, I can only see that information here is being very, very misconstrued. Not only does A Bread Affair provide genuinely delicious baked goods, but also offers a fantastic work environment full of smiling faces and good people.

First things first, one of the most difficult aspects of this job for me revolves around the early starts... as I am not a morning person, having to deal with shifts that begin in the wee hours of the day is something that takes a lot of getting used to. For anyone looking to get into the baking industry though, this is simply a fact of life. The mornings are honestly made a whole lot better by the friendly and encouraging staff. Everyone who works here is just incredibly upbeat and down to Earth, making sure the job gets done but having an absolute blast while doing it. Many of the customers that come in start to become regulars, something that occurs as a result of the loving workers as well as the fantastic food offerings.

In terms of pay, the hourly wage is quite respectable. For someone new to the industry I was not expecting a large sum of money, but can definitely see there being room for growth as the business continues to expand. If you are someone with previous baking experience there could certainly be a bright future for you here.

Another fantastic aspect of working (or simply stopping by for a bite) here revolves around the location. Granville Island is truly a beautiful place, and being able to roam around here is a phenomenal part of the job. On my days off I am finding
  more... myself stopping by the shop more and more frequently, greeting my co-workers, eating some of my favourite foccacia, and enjoying the splendours that downtown Vancouver has to offer. The workspace itself is also very nice as the kitchen is clean and well maintained, with state of the art equipment. We also regularly get to participate in a farmer's market, which is a great change of scenery and pace. This post is intended to iterate the best parts of the job, and not serve as an advertisement of any kind, but I must say that it is gratifying to see the faces of strangers light up upon trying our products.

If you're looking for a fun, fast paced place to work, definitely come check us out!
Pros
Friendly Staff, Delicious Food
Cons
Early Starts
A Bread Affair Granville Island
Pastry (Former Employee) –  Granville Island18 June 2014
I hope others have a better experience with there Job interview. The original person was to busy when I arrived for my appointment so I was passed off to someone else. They set a table and two chairs in front of the washroom door for the interview. After my interview...I was told I would have a second working interview. I was contacted by email with a days short notice to come in the morning at 11. I had to say no, as I work in the mornings. I suggested other times but I was never offered another option for the working interview but a week later I was contacted and asked my availability (I was available anyday, any shift, anytime)--- they took my references of which none were ever contacted. It's was a strange process for an interview "professionally" speaking at that point they should at least follow up but that never happened. They still have the ad in for the same position.