A & R TRANSPORT Employee Reviews

Lowest pay I ever made driving trucks
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA22 March 2019
I was hired at A&R in Philadelphia,PA I Was told the money was good and assumed the equipment was nice. The money I made was so low I had to leave after 1 month before I lost my house. The trucks I had to choose from were all beat up and very dirty. Also you can not stand up in their trucks if you do over night trips. Lower roof trucks not even mid roof trucks. Overall my experience was very disappointing and I had dry bulk experience hauling plastic prior to being hired. Everybody is nice there but that doesn’t pay the bills. Also trucks do not have APUs and you are not allowed to install one. Overall bad experience
Pros
NIce people
Cons
Low pay. Dirty old bad equipment
Great company to work for.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA23 July 2018
This was just a great experience for me. I loved the company and would go back in a heartbeat if I didn’t want to drive over the road. Good money great benefits. Good people.
Pros
No foolishness from the company.
Cons
They will keep you on the road if that is the life you want.
The company drivers had it better
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pearlington, MS3 April 2018
I worked for a O/O who had 30 trucks signed on to A@ R.. over all it was a fairly good job. It’s just. We were subjected to all A @ R policies. But we didn’t get the extra stuff. Like layover break down vacation holiday. Etc.
There is quite a bit expected.
For example. Most loads are vacuum loads. So you had to load your self off a rail car. Which really wasn’t that hard. Just some of the plants we went in were a real pain. Some didn’t have scales onsite. So when you thought you had a load. You would have to unhook all you hoses. Pick up all your stuff. Go 8 mikes to a scale. Then if you didn’t have enough product then you have to go back hook all back up put some more go back to scale. Or if too much. Go blow some off go Bach yo scale. This process could take several hours. (Which I was only paid 25 dollars. To do. The company driver. Get more. I think 40 or 50.) Then if weight ok still go back to plant to get BOL. Then after all that. Go drive 600-700 miles. I was mostly on a dedicated run. But sometimes I Have to be out in the “System “. Which most A and R Drivers were. You would. Just go here. Unload. Get trailer washed. Get loaded near as possible. Go somewhere else’s. Never knew where you might be.
I did a lot of running on recap. When you got ready to go home they would get you home. And they did have some local jobs. The leadership. Was all real nice. And they didn’t. Bug you much.
Pros
Probably better to be company driver.
Cons
If you don’t mind working. They were ok.
Nice people
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA20 September 2017
Start early you can finish early. learned pneumatic tanking. Management was pretty fair and consistent. hardest part was plugging the trailer, or over filling the trailer.
Pros
Home nightly
Cons
Plugging up
nothing
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA22 February 2016
nothing to tell its a job with more downs than ups you can make money when they want you to. they pay in a lot of but it base on how your terminal manager feels about if u get paid or not
Good time working there
Driver (Former Employee) –  Morris, IL2 December 2015
Loading plastics and sugar from rail cars. Finish loading and head for the customers. The dispatchers left you alone as long as you did your job. Coworkers were good to each other.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Not home enough
Keeping truck drivers safe with an even load while traveling
Pre-Loader (Former Employee) –  Morris, IL19 November 2014
My day would consist of driving a semi tractor and bulk trailer in a rail yard with hooking up to rail cars and loading plastic pellets, a very intense job with some of the product moving at One Thousand Pounds a minute.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
One wrong Load could make for a Long Day
driver
driver (Former Employee) –  Joliet, IL27 July 2014
its was a living not enough hours to keep me there I have a family to take care of
Hard work for decent pay
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX9 June 2014
I was there for a while and what I experienced was long frantic days because the supervisor would walk around and curse and shout and try to show everyone how upset he was. Which was bogus because he did nothing all day. Pushed work onto everyone else even when he was told by his boss to do it. Dealing with drivers attitudes didn't help. They were to busy being upset by the dispatcher. Pay was decent but the insurance and benefits for warehouse workers were expensive.
didnt like it
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Highlands, TX15 April 2014
i didnt stay long enough to get started in a typical day was do to being told and taught in away that i need to learn to cheat my log so i could run 24 to 48 hrs straight before taking a break.
Team player organization and people who love to laugh
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Highlands, TX16 December 2013
I have learned that laughter in a workplace makes everyone keep on smiling throughout the day and when talking on the phone it helps to smile so the person on the other end can hear it in voice.
Pros
Paid vacations and holidays!
Cons
No one being a team player!
Hard work and long hours are ok with me.
Scale House Attendant (Former Employee) –  Morris, IL5 November 2012
A typical day at the office was very busy. I had a lot of paper work to go through as well as many reports I was responsible for putting together. One of the most important parts of my job was catching other peoples mistakes. Along with my many tasks, I was also responsible for scaling truck drivers in and out. I would then either call someone to verify the driver is in the correct location, with needed material, properly and safely ready to start loading his truck, or I would do it myself. I learned a lot about different machines that would be useful to me in future jobs, and also a little something about the corporate world. I learned the proper ways to act and communicate around and with my coworkers and superiors. I learned that 12 hours of work everyday is manageable, and that 60 hour weeks are on honorable way to earn a living no matter what the profession. Management was strict, but when a mistake can cost that much it is easy to see why. My coworkers, many of them, were hard working. They didn't come in to pick up a paycheck on Friday, they came in to earn their paychecks. That is something I value and will take with me to future employment opportunities.