A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Not bad, could improve
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Como Lake, BC19 March 2018
A typical day at work ranges from very busy to very relaxed. As a cashier I have multiple tasks to complete such as taking and giving out orders, doing dishes and cleaning the restaurant. Overall, this job helped me learn customer service and multitasking skills. However, the management is very disorganized and my manager does not comply to my hourly requests. It is not as flexible as A&W claims it is.
Pros
50% off food before, during and after shifts.
A&W Selkirk is very bad
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB17 March 2018
The Boss man was easily manipulated by one of the supervisors so he basically ran the show. Kids were forced to work till as late as 2am on school nights. They cut hours hard during winter so your lucky to get a shift a week.
Pros
1/2 off food
Cons
Very Poor Management
Good experience till now
Cashier/Garnisher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2018
I have learned organization of material, resolved customers complaints professionally, learned to work in dynamic and fast paced environment. Got aware of the Canadian culture by spending time and communicating with new people.
Dont even think about it!
Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Qu'Appelle, SK17 March 2018
Dont waste your time. No career growth. Owners are cheap. Short staff so u gotta do all the work. Staff gossip alot. Overall its a very stressful environment not recomended. Look else where coz u deserve so much better.
Doesnt feel like you are working
Food Counter Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 March 2018
Yes the pressure is there for your daily goals such as meet the service time but when you are comfortable with people you are working with everything would just be like playing and you'll never notice that it was already the end of your shift.
Kitchen Staff (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 March 2018
Good teamwork learning, communication
speed, safety, quality, good, hot like everything are considered when to work in a day
Great Management
Sometimes of high-stressed environment
Pros
speed
Cons
work load
Was a great environment to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC14 March 2018
Was a great environment to work for staff were kind and respectful also General manager was nice Area manager was reason for leaving insulted me to my face called me liar to my face didn't care about staff at all or there opinions also seemed to think reviews were not needed either
Pros
Was a great environment to work for
Cons
Area manager worst to work for
Enjoyable work experience
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Moosomin, SK13 March 2018
I worked as a general manager and i loved my work. A&W is a really enjoyable work place. I had a really awesome staff and everyone were passionate about their work.
Pros
Free meals
Great Job But Terrible Management
Cook (Former Employee) –  4140 Walker Rd.13 March 2018
I had an amazing time working with everyone in the restaurant. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming and I fit right in. I learned tons including being a more informed team player, social skills and learned the ability to handle stressful situations accordingly.
Productive and fun workplace
Supervisor/Cook (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL12 March 2018
Learned how to work in a fast pasted environment, work well with others. the hardest part of the job is being left there alone for hours upon hours with no help. The most enjoyable part were my fellow employees and prep work. Overall if they had more employees the job itself would be amazing.
A great company. Used to be Canada's Best 50 Companies to work for
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC12 March 2018
A&W is still a great company to work for. Very lean and generally not that mean. Worked closely with all departments including senior executives in providing technology solutions to their business needs.

The IS department is very small and there is very little back-up or job overlap. A typical day is filled with all sort of challenges and support issues. Sometime a little too much and time fly so quickly.
productive
casher and kitchen associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2018
management was good
people are helping
good communication
team work
learning creativity
making burgers
learn how to work in rush hours
learn how to communicate with different kinds of people
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough shifts
fun but high pressure
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland8 March 2018
busy yet entertaining. i personally found it was simply about one's mindset. because you're dealing with customers all day, it is potentially stressful because of the service time standard. What ,makes the biggest difference in this job, is if you have a supportive manager.
Pros
make friends
Cons
long hours - not the best work/life balance
Mixed Review
Supervisor/Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2018
As a Supervisor at A&W I was actually quite good at it.
I excelled quickly and made myself quite reliable to by management team and staff.
However the franchisee took the job more casually, focusing on his relationships with the staff and the amount of money he was making. Understandable from the standpoint of a business owner. But the unprofessionalism extended to his staff. People who were favorited slacked off whilst people who weren't favorited were yelled at for the dip in workflow quality. So as a supervisor I would see the inconsistency in how I ran the ship vs my fellow managerial staff. I stress in no way do I possess some sort of elitism in comparison to my team. It just saddened me that the harder working staff members appreciated the days I was in because they felt that they went unappreciated otherwise.
I Happily quit in pursuit of a different Job.
I do not blame A&W, I feel the fault belongs to the people who are comfortable with division and Zero Accountability
Pros
easy job
Cons
Inconsistant Franchisee
decent place
cook/shift co. (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK7 March 2018
worked there for a few years got along with most people except the last manager if you aren't having fun at work there isn't any point in showing up which wasn't for me s
Overall a good first job
COOK (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC6 March 2018
Working as a cook in the kitchen, within a team environment. · Responsible of executing customer’s orders with quality and speed. Mainly, I have learned how to work and communicate with others.
horrible place
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 March 2018
this is the worst job you can get. they could care less about their employees, they only care about making money. everyone is very poorly trained even management
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Great "job" experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 March 2018
Although it was a learning experience balancing work, school, sports and a social life, I learned so many important lessons that you need in the work force.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS5 March 2018
there is nothing to review about this place it was the worse mistake of my life to work as store manger... they took advantage of me used me then just let me go out of the blue for no reason..
Summary for my every day working at A&W
Front counter Attendant/Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 March 2018
My typical day is biking to work and getting started for the day usually takes me about 1 hour to bike there, sometimes they don't give me time to get a drink or use the washroom, people tend to leave at random times leaving me alone to go for a smoke or go talk to people at the drive-through or upfront abandoning there position and having me pick up the slack and I usually close the kitchen at night leaving me alone for 3 hours making the food and cleaning. the Supervisors tend to rush to go home at night they don't want to clean late night so i have to clean the grill sooner and my station 30 mins sooner because they always say i'm too slow but if you factor in i work the nights and close the kitchen alone then of course i get slow and stressed easily.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Long hours, Some bad days, Angry customers, People tend to leave at random times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.