A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Not too bad to work
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC26 March 2018
Most load is on trainees. have to clean bathrooms lot of dishes. never gonna increase pay until government increases pay-scale. 50% off only in branch where you work and only valid from 30 mins before your shift to 30 mins after shift and then benefit goes away.
Pros
50% off
Cons
long hours, heavily pressurized
Do not recommend
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 March 2018
Employees fear management
Management doesn't care about personal space
Management manually clocks out employees at their desired times
Management doesn't care about rude employees
Management doesn't take off the days that you book off
Employees aren't asked if they want to be closers or openers
When asked for a piece of uniform, the employee should be able to get it asap ex: new pants, a new shirt
Morning staff doesn’t mop or sweep
Large amounts of favouritism towards morning staff, not fair
Management needs to do their job
Pros
Cons
40% discount on food
great place to work
CASHIER/COOK (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 March 2018
loved working there, management was great. it was overall a wonderful place to work. was busy, fast paced, and was able to advance quickly if showed true potential.
Very great place to work, have learned a lot.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC25 March 2018
A normal day at work for me consists of the opening shift so I have to get everything ready for the store to open which requires me to count money, clean up left messes from the night before, stocking, ect. I have learned how to use my time more wisely because working a full time job does not leave a lot of room for any other tasks. Since I have worked at A&W for over 2 years I know hot to fully work and deal with most things around the store so even though I am not a manager because I don't have time with school and basketball, I do managerial tasks.
Easy money
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 March 2018
As good as a fast food job can get

-Dealing with customers each day
-Cleaning the bathrooms
-Cleaning the front room
-Made some good friends however
-Deal with kitchen staff
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Not room for improvement
Not too great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON24 March 2018
Could not have had a worse first job experience. If i could give management 0 stars I would. The person I worked for was rude and disrespectful to his employees. The work environment was not safe, I have many burns up my arms. As a full-time student the hours were obnoxious and even though fellow co-workers were nice, the shift switching policy was very hard. As a part time worker, I would work a week straight, doing like 9 hour weekend days. I was constantly taking peoples shifts but never getting mine taken. Terrible experience and the worst part was the management. Only good take away was the customer service experience.
Pros
Half off Food
Cons
Long shifts, bad management, rude customers
A Fast Food Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC24 March 2018
It's what you'd expect from most fast food jobs, it's really fast paced so make sure you are keeping up with everyone it's ok if you start slow; everyone does. I
Pros
Discount off the food
Cons
Cahnging work hours
Good place.
Front Counter/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON23 March 2018
Moved up the ranks from front counter staff to assistant manager in a matter of months. Pay as a regular staff member is nice, I started at 13$ an hour before minimum wage went up. Can be a busy and challenging environment, but overall not a bad place to work. Time goes by generally quickly. There are no offered health care benefits, only for management. Staff gets 50% off food and free pop, management gets food and all drink for free. Uniforms are provided, and breaks are half hour and unpaid - at least at my store.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Can be stressful
Friendly work place and friendly co-workers.
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  New Sudbury Mall, ON20 March 2018
A&W restaurants are very famous for hamburgers. A&W is a good work place for everyone. Eco-friendly, providing good service, and very hygiene. Pleasant atmosphere, organized management and friendly co workers. I really enjoying the closing shifts. But, I didn't get enough hours. In every week I only get 7 to 8 hours. So, I can't meet my expenses. It's really hard to me.
Pros
Half price for all food items.
Cons
Didn't get enough hours.
Good place to develop customer service skills.
Team member (Former Employee) –  Metrotown, BC20 March 2018
Everything is awesome but lacks allotting of sufficient working hours.
Good place for short term working as a part time student but not a good place for earning handsome money
Pros
meal discounts
Cons
not enough hours
Fast pace work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC20 March 2018
The cashier is responsible for not only the front counter but drive thru, dinning room, and dishes as well. They are also responsible for taking out the garbage and cleaning the chutes where the food is kept before being bagged. The cashiers will also have to sweep and sometimes mop, as well as deal with the cleaning of all three bathrooms.
Pros
50% off on food 30 minutes before or after your shift as well as on your break.
Cons
Understaffed and very rarely get the days you need off.
upbeat and positive, all things in working order
A&W employee (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 March 2018
Days feel short, learned a lot about the business, and co-workers are very friendly. as long as there isn't an over abundance of work to be done you are allowed to sit and relax every now and then, pay is nice, boss isn't demanding
Pros
very understanding, and a good discount on meals
Cons
always understaffed
Horrible management, no grasp of control over staff. While there may be high school kids working there, there should not be all the drama with them.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 March 2018
Horrible management, no grasp of control over staff. While there may be high school kids working there, there should not be all the drama that comes with a high school soap opera.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
No staff room, no microwave or fridge for staff, cramped and loud environment, bad management
Great team to work with
Team Leader (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON19 March 2018
Amazing supervisors and staff to work with. Lots of valuable customer service experience. Need to work well under pressure and during busy situationss.
Pros
Amazing team and work environment
Cons
inconsistent schedule
Not bad, could improve
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Como Lake, BC19 March 2018
A typical day at work ranges from very busy to very relaxed. As a cashier I have multiple tasks to complete such as taking and giving out orders, doing dishes and cleaning the restaurant. Overall, this job helped me learn customer service and multitasking skills. However, the management is very disorganized and my manager does not comply to my hourly requests. It is not as flexible as A&W claims it is.
Pros
50% off food before, during and after shifts.
A&W Selkirk is very bad
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB17 March 2018
The Boss man was easily manipulated by one of the supervisors so he basically ran the show. Kids were forced to work till as late as 2am on school nights. They cut hours hard during winter so your lucky to get a shift a week.
Pros
1/2 off food
Cons
Very Poor Management
Good experience till now
Cashier/Garnisher (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2018
I have learned organization of material, resolved customers complaints professionally, learned to work in dynamic and fast paced environment. Got aware of the Canadian culture by spending time and communicating with new people.
Dont even think about it!
Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Qu'Appelle, SK17 March 2018
Dont waste your time. No career growth. Owners are cheap. Short staff so u gotta do all the work. Staff gossip alot. Overall its a very stressful environment not recomended. Look else where coz u deserve so much better.
Doesnt feel like you are working
Food Counter Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 March 2018
Yes the pressure is there for your daily goals such as meet the service time but when you are comfortable with people you are working with everything would just be like playing and you'll never notice that it was already the end of your shift.
Kitchen Staff (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 March 2018
Good teamwork learning, communication
speed, safety, quality, good, hot like everything are considered when to work in a day
Great Management
Sometimes of high-stressed environment
Pros
speed
Cons
work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.