A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Found 1,617 reviews matching the search See all 2,074 reviews
Poorly managed
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 July 2018
Lack of guidance or organization by management as most of them are way too young also they are not trustworthy to go to in need of crisis, climate needs to be a lot more improved even thought nobody even uses it as model to learn and improve your work ethics.It does pay well as you get raises every 6 months depending on your review as well, as working with pleasant people whom are team member, team leader and supervisor.
Pros
Pay raise every 6 months, 50 % off meals for day and free meals on overnight, pleasant people
Cons
poor management, disorganized, climate meetings that are pointless as nothing ever changes..
Salary Manger
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2018
A&W has a very flexible schedule which allows me to work around my families schedules. it's a good place to work. good benefits, pay, perks.

Management has your back, understands if you have to switch things up at last minute. Not mandatory to work an 8 hour day just as long as you get your 40 hours a week. Which is nice
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
long hours in december
Good place to start
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC10 July 2018
Its a decent place to work. They'll hire you and have you starting instantly if you wish. A&W gives you such flexibility, which is really awesome, you can literally pick your hours. I find the staff and even management talk behind other employees backs and try to get other employees to talk bad about their coworkers. I worked there for a year and a half, was a great, hard worker and only got a 20 cent raise. Overall, its not a bad job just not a good job and not very enjoyable.
Pros
50% off, flexible hours
Cons
staff, bad pay
Busy and Productive Workplace
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK8 September 2018
My time at A&W was short but also needed. I was a hard worker, even when the restaurant wasn't busy. I learned a lot while working here, like how to be more efficient and work faster.

It was usually busy during the day and more calm at night. I would bag food and serve customers, while also cleaning the tables and changing the garbage.

I didn't get fired, I quit because of personal reasons.
Pros
Free drinks and 50% off of a meal
Wouldn't Recommend It
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 June 2018
My time at A&W was mostly alright when it came to teamwork. But it was a horrible time when it came to upper management not knowing what they were doing. Everything was micromanged, you were accountable for everything, not them, and it seemed like the manager had no idea what he was doing. Overall, the team was fine to work with, but the upper management (above me) knew little about their job, you didnt feel secure in your position as I heard people got fired if they complained about the management, and overall working at this location was just a bad experience.
Pros
40% off meals, team was fun to work with
Cons
Everything else
Fun
Frontline Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
Productive and fun workplace. We work as a team. Respect for each others culture and religion. Always see our mistake as a learning tool and praise each others success.
Career opportunity, positive work environment.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 April 2018
workplace environment was good, i enjoyed working there as a supervisor and being a part of such a great management team. In my 2 years of tenure with the organization has helped me enhance my customer service skills, i have learned cash management and how to run and manage a store and keep the employees encouraged about the work they do. Everyday brings something new and that is the most enjoyable part as you learn to deal with problems and how to solve them effectively.
Pros
Advance career opportunities
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON26 July 2018
The A&W I worked at had many difficulties. The management was lacking in the basic skills of communication. The advancement to management was based on time employed not on experience. I do not feel this was in any way the fault of the employees. The people I dealt with felt they were not given the necessary tools to effectively do the position they were advanced into.
Pros
Training was exceptional
Cons
Management was not properly trained for their positions.
Making food, doing dishes and cleaning the kitchen
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 September 2018
In the beginning i liked it however i found that the management was horrible, and that closing workers were working for very long hours from 5 to 2 am
Pros
Free drinks and 10% off food
Cons
Horrible management, not enough people working at night
It's a good place to work
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS27 September 2018
I worked at anw for 10 years if it wasnt for the location id still be there. The food is great but management wasnt the greatest place kinda went down when the old boss retired
Pros
Good food
Cons
Long hours never knew when you were getting off
Decent Work place
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2018
Supervisors of that particular location were awesome. Very supportive, however, no advancement and recognition happened by upper management. Regardless, great place to work in your teen years.
Not A Bad Place
Cook/Team Lead(Manager) (Current Employee) –  Renfrew, ON8 October 2018
For a fast food job. This job was not bad. The reason why this job is so hard for a lot of people is because in some areas of Ontario, we don't have very big towns meaning that we don't have a lot of staff that work with us. The night staffs are usually left by themselves whether the restaurant is very busy or completely dead. Whether they have everything they need to have done before they go or not they leave anyways. The environment is very relaxed and a very fun place to be especially in hectic times. I've had a great experience with A&W and would definitely work in one again if I happened to relocate.
Pros
Very Flexible
Cons
Long Hours, Lack of Staff
Fun and enjoyable
Supervisor/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chase, BC1 August 2018
Working for this company was very enjoyable and challenging at times. I worked the morning opening shift so in the morning I would make sure everything I required to start the day was prepped and ready to go. I was responsible for starting up all equipment cleaning the fryers and replacing with new oil I was also responsible for deposits to the bank and breaking coin if needed. I was responsible for keeping my team going and motivated to make sure that the next shift had everything they required o provide quality service to the customers with smiles on our faces. The work was hard some days but I am not afraid of a challenge and enjoy working greatly.

I loved working for this company and the only reason I no longer do is because I made the choice to move to another province and just never tried again. The management was good and the team awesome I miss you all so much.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
my experinece with this restaurant was unpleasant
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 August 2018
management was very un professional, no ethics, no work balance nothing to appreciate there since the new management was appointed at fleetwood location.
Pros
i must say the staff was awesome
Cons
bad salary, no appreciation, no fairness, away from work ethics
When a private frachisee took over, standers went to rock bottom.
Fast Food Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2018
Not great. Revolving door attitude here, even by franchise owners. Ive never seen someone get a actual raise at my store, even when taking on harder roles.
Hardworking Atmosphere
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC23 October 2018
A typical day at work consisted of cleaning, cooking and frying products, making the products equal to each incoming customer, and assuring that they received hot and fresh food. I learned how to make and clean with safety requirements, as well as creating a excellent experience for the customers. The management was good other than favouritism. It was not always welcoming. The hardest part of the job was keeping up to pace when a rush of customers came in. The most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends and making people happy when they come in.
Pros
Staff parties
Cons
Non-negotiable hours
Workplace
Team member (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 September 2018
The work environment is alright can be improved with better management, other than that everyone their is nice and the goof is great. flexible hours .
Pros
discounts on food
Good start
Coop student at A&W (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
A&W was a good start for a job but I have many complaint such as their horrible bathroom situation and them trying to over work new employees to get prep done faster.

From the beginning I new I was not going to like this restaurant I walked into loud childish music played to loud and cashier's mean muggin me, this place did not seem like the place for me. Finally once I was brought in the restaurant was treated like a joke with managers and employees making sexual jokes and no work for me to do.

Thank for reading.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extremely long hours
Good short term job, gather experience but don’t stay
Supervisor/Cook (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 February 2018
I went in with zero experience but leaving with a resume that’s helping me look a lot better. Wouldn’t recommend working there if you want something long term. At times I was doing anywhere from 10-40hours of OT/2wks which made my bank account smile but at the end of the day the stress was not worth it. Overall management was good, my district manager and operation specialist were awesome. If you do your job and work hard going above and beyond you’ll have a good experience. Unfortunately our store manager was everything but, causing me to loss hours randomly and giving them to others as giving little to no reasoning to me.

Obviously each store will be different but just remember you’re easily replaced and they have no troubles doing so.
Pros
Work days go fast, good coworkers, decent pay, regular customers that get to know you
Cons
Stressful atmosphere, no job security, had to fight for days off and vacation time
fun and friendly environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 August 2018
Working at A&W was always a great place to work. the staff as well as the customers were friendly; especially morning customers. You are always doing something, not a boring job. Easy system to learn on.
Pros
pay raises
Cons
always busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.