A&B Rail Services Ltd

A&B Rail Services Ltd Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews
it was some good old fashion hard labor work, all hand tools, the kind of work that when you rub the old ladys back she gettin a good back scratchin...
Working with A&B I gained the knowledge and skills to advance into a new position with my career. I was paid very fairly and they stood by me when i needed to go through a few things for my job, the biggest downfall and in which is no way shape or form is on A&B to blame is sometimes the seasons are very busy sometimes there is nothing which then causes jobs to be lost. I would recommend A&B to anybody looking for a start in the company.
Pros
Good money, good job, good friends.
Cons
Very iffy work life.
Great experience overall was a tough transition at first all work for 7/8 months was at night in some tough weather conditions in some of the most remote parts of northern Alberta Tough men in tough country.
Cons
Night shift 6 on 1 off
TERRIBLE management and scheduling. They lie constantly to employees and they'll lie to your face right from the hiring process. They make promises they cant keep to keep you doing what they desire. Employees are expected to be at the companies beck and call 24/7. Youll be just a number for they do not care about their on the ground workers as long as they get the coverage they desire, unless you are well liked for favoritism is very present. Youll be expected to work weekends and nights so don't expect to have a social life. I didn't come across 1 employee who was happy for everyone complained so its a very toxic environment. Good pay and company vehicle is all this place is good for so if that's all you value then this place is for you. They'll also get rid of you for no reason so be sure not to do anything against their beliefs. You have to be a robot to work there. I would give 0 stars if I could for I wouldn't recommend this company to my enemy
ab was good company to work for , management and lifestyle is great . safey is good overal ab was great place to nwork they have alot of quality employees
they over work the ground workers the operators don't get out and help at all and everyone drinks too much.. foremens dont see the real workers
that grind everyday
Job work/Life balance can be very hard to achieve because the work isn't always near home, shifts can be tough 10-12 hour days 6 days on 1 day off. for me i find it hard to be away from home as much as I am. But if you are looking for solid, hard well paying work, and you don't mind being out of town this is a great place to work.
the Job itself is really hard. Lots of overtime though. Foremen will work you like a donkey...well, it’s literally a donkey job so... coworkers will snitch and talk behind your back. Careful who you chat with. After all, the pay was good..not really equivalent to the hard work but still... it could be worse, right?
Pay is great considering zero qualifications are required and the only restriction is the clean drug test. However, as a labourer, it is very physically demanding and the work/life balance is poor. You will be sent to all kinds of different areas in the western provinces to work, staying in hotels and camps. You'll most likely get paid LOA too. If you need the money and are willing to do physical work, then this job is for you. Hopefully you'll get a good crew and foreman but that can be a crapshoot.
This is a real love it or hate it kinda place. This place will consume you and become your life in no time. No room to have a life outside. You live pretty much as an “on call employee”. Schedule is given daily, roughly 24 hours notice. There is absolutely no gratification in this job. No room for “thinkers”. While there is work and overtime, you can easily make 110k plus a year. It is a regular thing for people to work 14 “days” straight. There are definitely lots of perks and pros to the job if you list them. But depending on how you “weigh” or value the pros and cons, this job is either your dream job or your worst nightmare. On top of everything else, 90% of the work load is on nights. Unless you have a doctors note, nights is where you will end up. If you do have a note, it is hard to get hours at all, let alone consistency throughout the week. Proceed with caution!
Pros
Great money, company car, company phone, gas card, travel pay
Cons
Horrible work life balance. EXPECTED to work EVERY weekend without breaks
loved every min on the machines the ground managment was great to deal with
office staff seem a little lost

no longer about family only numbers and bottom line
long hours, good pay with overtime. accommodation in hotels. two in one room. everywhere in Canada. seasonal. heavy lifting and intense labour work. drug and alcohol testing. work starts in April and ends in November with some possibilities of winter work.
Pros
loa, free living
Cons
away from home relocation necessary for season time
Enjoyed my time there until the last couple of years. Started as Manager of Track protection for Go Transit exciting and challenging. Grew from 28 flagman to 110. Set up all procedures and scheduling.
They’ll work you like a slave, make good cash while working 6&1. Perfect job for those that are single or just want to escape the wife and life for 3/4’s of the year.
Pros
Live out allowance
Cons
No life/ long ways from home.
I've worked with Universal Rail Systems, the head office for all of the sub companies such as A&B Rail. I worked with the company's major departments such as Human Resources, Accounts Payable's, Payroll, etc. The staff were very friendly, & extremely helpful. There is a lot to learn & great learning opportunities within the company. The staff are more than willing to help you & teach you. I ended up learning so much with all the different tasks/duties I ended up doing. They have random lunches where you get to interact with each other & learn more about what each person does within this company. I highly enjoyed my time here.

The only con is that the company is a bit disorganised but but that's mostly due to the A&B company itself & not as much as Universal Rail.
Pros
Friendly staff, lots of learning opportunites
Cons
Disorganized
Worked there for a couple months, very hard work and long hours I enjoyed that aspect, but when it comes to management it's a joke, as well as supervisors a lot of lying and back stabbing. It would be a good job for somebody who likes a "high school" environment.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Management, supervisors, formen
A chance to travel across Canada while learning a new trade that can branch off to various careers within the Railway industry or it could lead you down a parallel path.
I worked with A&B rail for about 5 years its a great place to work,good salary,benefits are good,and management is fair and great to work with,just a good team to work with
its a good place to make money with a lot of hours and over time
day can start with briefing and then travel on the track and there will b everything u need to know about the day will be at the briefing
Pros
free water
Cons
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. They worked their labourers like dogs. No breaks, was told by the crew not to bring a lunch. After doing their orientation you would think you're joining a good company but just like every other railway contractor they only care about themselves.
Pros
Cons
6-1 work cycle out of town, No breaks, No lunch, highschool mentality amongst the crew.
By hands on owner, I mean someone who expected professional results from his team and was not microscopic in seeking out those results. His door was always open and it was rarely required as the team he compiled relied on each other -- still. . . his door was open.