7-Eleven Employee Reviews

Horrible Place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 March 2018
The job itself is not a bad job nor is it hard but the company itself does not care about its employees. They make you feel like horrible if you are sick or if you miss work because a family emergency. When minimum wage went up anybody who made over the increase was basically flipped the bird because they didn't matter. Didn't matter that they worked hard that year they didn't deserve a raise. Didn't matter that they were management and did so much more work then a sales associate they didn't get a raise. Bottom line is its not worth advancing in the company. Don't give them anything because they won't give you anything in return.
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2018
Its a great job to gain fast paced customer service experience. Fellow coworkers were friendly and great team members. Free slurpees was a bonus. Would definitely work there again.
Stressful work environment.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2018
I was on the overnight shift, which totally screwed up my sleep schedule. I had to sleep all day, just so I could work an overnight shift, and my social life suffered, in that I wasn't able to see my friends as much as I would have liked, and my mental health also took a hit. Often, I would end up working the overnight shift by myself, which as a woman, is extremely dangerous, but management didn't care, and I was still expected to do everything, and make sure the store looked clean and organized and tidy!I would not recommend working here to anyone!
Pros
Free coffee for the length of your shift.
Cons
I often found myself working alone, on the overnights, which made me feel management didn't care about my safety.
a good experince as a customer service
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 February 2018
Dealing with customer everyday is a good chance to know on how to handled people with difference attitude and manner, Dealing with them is good exercise to meeting people and learned how to be independent at work,
Pros
discount on food
Cons
long standing
Fun workplace with lot of public interaction
Sales Associate (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC13 February 2018
You have a fresh start and interact with different kind of people everyday which enhanced my communication skills and confidence level along with my problem solving approach
TERRIBLE workplace!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC12 February 2018
This is a very unethical workplace with poor management and lack of job satisfaction. They treat their employees very poorly and management pawns off all their work to employees with no reward or even a thank you and they play favorites. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
there are pros and cons
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 February 2018
It's a typical retail environment, corporate, where staff are paid not much more than minimum wage and expected to do an incredible amount of work not in proportion to the pay given. There are long term health issues with sore feet and standing for long periods of time, carpal tunnel in the hands for some. Some tasks involve going outside and shoveling walk ways in the freezing cold, and cleaning and stocking supplies outside in the wintertime, shoveling snow to keep the gas tank openings visible where applicable. Cleaning inside the store involves a lot of food equipment and hot food cases, dishes are washed in the back sink area by hand, no dish washer. This is not just a cashier job. Employees are expected to do a lot of cleaning as well as baking for the morning rush and inventory tasks such as auditing some products on a shiftly or nightly basis and ordering product for delivery on a touch screen device. They will need to be knowledgeable with gasoline sales where applicable as well as cell phone sales, food safety knowledge, the rules with cigarette and tobacco and lottery sales. Employees are expected to follow a script of up-selling including a rewards program to all customers. Everything is always rushed because the company allows a very minimal staff to get the immense amount of necessary work done. Part of the informal culture of social acceptance is whether one can or cannot multi-task. When huge orders come in everything is scanned electronically with a hand-held electronic system and everything must match before the vendor leaves. If one is prone to  more... anxiety disorders this is not the job for them. However if one is very emotionally level-headed, and can deal with stress, is strong and energetic, they will enjoy this type of work. The trend lately has been to have just one person on the night shift in some stores, so there is sometimes the issue of feeling safe by yourself at night. The pay is minimal however there is a nice benefit package for full-time employees. The opportunity for advancement is touch and go. Sometimes the opportunity is there and people move up quickly because of issues with stores being short-staffed, however sometimes the opportunity is not there because the company sometimes makes an error of hiring too many upper management people to fill available positions, so employees have to wait patiently for opportunity, Each year is a different scenario. For those who like a challenge and don't want to be bored with nothing to do, this is the job for them.  less
Pros
full time benefits, extended health, dental, option for rrsp savings
Cons
they work you really hard, frequently you're exhausted, you have to learn to find a balance.
Typical job
Senior Sales Associate/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON5 February 2018
Work environment and coworkers were great, not horrible hours
Cleanliness is above par
Just a typical minimum wage job to work at and further experience
Typical Job with Some Bumps
Cashier/Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 February 2018
The job itself was fine for close to a year until we hired on some new workers.
One of them still hasn't learned how to multitask (keep in mind that I left months ago and this person was hired on five or so months before I left!) and the other person was transferred from another store with the utmost praise...which turned out to be a total lie cuz they couldn't stand him either.
Aside from these two employees the morale was great and people were the perfect balance of positive and exhausted.

In the grand scheme the store manager was too pushy and demanded 200%, constantly reminding us that our job wasn't that hard but never actually DOING our job to see our complaints and concerns from our side.
Believing one person should be able to handle a line twelve people long and complete all the transactions in under 3 minutes collectively.
Pros
nice atmosphere, customers were mostly polite, job was easy enough to keep busy but hard enough to stay interesting
Cons
store manager was too high on herself, hours went to undeserving and inefficient employees first, getting full time is more hassle than its worth
Very Risky Job
7-11 Gas Station Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 February 2018
This job is anything but typical. Being a worker mainly overnight, you come across hundreds of challenges during the night shifts. The type of people, workload, nothing was really ever the same coming into each shift. This job taught me about adaptation, thinking on the spot, being reflective and finding the best and most beneficial solution to every problem I encountered. Very good job and highly recommendable. The only downside of the job is the safety of a 24 hour gas station can get a bit suspicious for workers over night with little to no supervision.
Pros
Free drinks, bonus pay for overnight shifts.
Cons
Safety is questionable at times, have to be aware at all times for thieves and drug users.
It is a convenience store.
Certified Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 February 2018
It is a convenience store. I learned here how to stocking, ordering, block and face. cash dealings, customer greetings and also make foods. Management always help us to learn any new items.
7- eleven
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC30 January 2018
7-eleven is great starter company for someone who is starting in customer service the have quick advancements and strong training they are flexible for parents.
Not bad.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB28 January 2018
7-Eleven was an alright place to work at. The only problem I had was having to be put on rotation shifts every now and then. I am not sure how they work it now but back then it was not fun.
Not great to employees
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB27 January 2018
The management at my particular location saw it's employees as expendable with simple dissatisfaction of management leading to loss of hours and abuse of passive employees who wont stand up for themselves.
Nice place to work
Post office Manager/Store Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC26 January 2018
Nice place to work, meet different kinds of people and enjoy helping people to send their mail and packages on time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with shop lifters.
Pros
free drinks- coffee/pop
Good and growiing employer & Opportunity for advancement
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
Always on a fast pace environment that will challenge you in many different ways. The 24 hrs. format certainly adds complexity to an already fast pace and the nature of entry level position at minimum wage is always a challenge as employee rotation is high.
You will have the ability to create your own working culture in individual groups/ stores to maximize your contributions with in the corporate directions and systems.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
24 Hrs. format
decent
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC25 January 2018
7-eleven is a decent place to work a long as you can be flexible it is pretty easy to move up in this company but it can be a stressful job
working for this company is good because they do not dock you lunch break and because they are an American company the pay over time
Good to learn new things
Cashier and customer service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2018
you get to meet so many new peoples
the management was poor
the hardest part about the job was the management and some rude customers
the enjoyable part was the best people I met during my time
Pros
meting new people
Cons
poor management
Poor management facility
Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2018
Need to have good management system to provide better service to customer and treat them properly and also manage human resource more effectively and treat every employee equally.
Pros
free Drinks
Cons
Poor management
fun and entertaining
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
Overnights were easy and mostly cleaning. But trying to advance is hard, training was always put off for something else. And when I was stressed and needed time off, a tactic to get you to come in to work was, 'Well I have to work at 6am so I'd be there all day.' they would make you feel guilty.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 7-Eleven. Our community is ready to answer.

52K