7-Eleven Employee Reviews

Found 725 reviews matching the search See all 8,862 reviews
Run while you still can
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
This place is a joke, demand the world from you while paying as little as possible. I work nights and they don't even pay a night premium like they used too. Management is a joke and will constantly ride you to push hot food sales and their stupid 7 rewards on people that don't want it and all your hard work over the years may earn you a whole 0.20 cent raise. Run while you still can and avoid this company like the plague. Only positive i can mention is they have good benefits for full time but if you are part time they have no problem starting you out at 32 hours a week and then cutting you down to 6.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
hostile and caustic work environment
Great Job Ruined by Terrible Management
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB9 September 2018
Loved my time at the 7-11, they were very flexible with my hours and I actually felt like i was part of a team during my time there. The management staff was horrible undertrained though and that was the reason why i had ended up leaving, the store was never stocked and we were constantly understaffed and overworked. We had gotten a new manager after many complaints and he fired nearly the entire staff as he felt we were at fault for the stores previous failure.
Pros
Good Hours, Pay and Benefits, Family Atmosphere
Cons
Terrible Choice in Management, No Designated Breaks, Relative Danger of Working at a Convenience Store
Great!
Certified Senior Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 November 2018
Cycle count tobacco and food service products for accuracy of ordering. Order and ensured product to meet the needs of customers and attentive to be careful of any loss. Daily tasks entail of delegating duties to staff on shift and making sure coffee, food, and service is fresh and welcoming. Bonding with customers and supporting 7 eleven goals, challenges and app deals. I have learned a lot about democratics and the importance of knowing your area and products. I have learned to be a leader as an assistant manager and confident of bringing those skills to future careers. The hardest part of the job for me is giving feedback to staff if they mess up, it's a work in progress but I'm doing better everyday. The most enjoyable part is the job itself; I love having everything what a customer needs and helping out whenever I'm needed. I am very loyal, dedicated and hard-working and those traits make me the best employee at my current location.
Pros
Benefits, Sick Pay
Cons
On call breaks, too many tasks for two people per shift.
large corporation that doesn't value anyone
Field Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
if you're good at your job expect to be thrown into losing environment in hopes of turning it around. if you're unsuccessful you're just another casualty. the time dedicated to training was cut down by 40%. I was laughed at for asking if work is 40 hours a week. I have worked +70 hour weeks and of course no extra pay due to being on salary. benefits are good though. once they find out you're capable of making that effort they will expect it constantly. those getting paid by the hour never get overtime pay nor do they get their promised hours. put profits ahead of personal safety. Eg. only one night shift allowed to work even though it wouldn't put the store over their allocated labor hours. Have had knives pulled on me, death threats, assaults, etc. Guess it comes with the job. There is a reason why it's mostly immigrants and foreign students working these jobs, because it requires the most desperate of people to put up with this company and everything that comes with it.
Pros
benefits, friendships made with store clerks
Cons
everything else
Dysfunctional upper management ruins otherwise decent environment
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 May 2018
The job is basically standard fare for convenience/retail/QSR, but there is no stability at upper levels and they really do expect their managers to do it all. Staff are generally well supported until they have the manager title, at which point everyone from your field consultant up couldn't really care less about what it takes from you personally to succeed as long as you're succeeding. They are more than happy to let you work for 3 months straight with no days off and putting in 70+ hours a week if it makes them money.
Pros
The pay/benefits and the culture (on paper)
Cons
Lack of care for management's needs
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB2 September 2018
I am all around in this company, cook, cashier, pLacing order and receive it,sandwich maker,inventory and more. I learned how to be more productive every single day and I am always to this kind of job fast pace environment and communicating with the customers. The hardest part is when i am doing my inventory i have to stay longer inside the walk-in freezer but i am getting use to it. What i love most is i love the people i work with and I love what i am doing.
Pros
breaks with pay health and dental benefits
Don't work for 7-11 in Manitoba
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 August 2018
I worked at 7-11 in management for over 20 years. Over the past few years the corporation has done less and less for the employees. I experienced a climate that was full of bully tactics, and abusive behaviour. Hiring and Training practices have become lax or nonexistant and customer service and patronage has gone down accordingly.
benefits
Cons
no job/life balance
My Daily Routine in 7 Eleven
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2018
My few weeks, working at 7 eleven was very busy and at some points, not busy. The Customers I meet are very friendly and can be easily recognized due to their kindness. Although they are some that intend to be rude and impatience, but what can I do about that? When I work here its always work work work, when you finish a certain task that may have taken half an hour to do, they will always give out new task to keep you moving. However, the only problem with working like this is the fact that you cannot use your proper time for breaks (30 min breaks, which is mandatorily needed when an employer is working full-time). The store will allow you to eat your food, but you may only take 2 bites off from your lunch and then back to another 4 hour work. Overall, its been great working overnight at 7 Eleven. The store taught me how to run the tilt, process deliveries, gave me my first experience in customer service, taught me how to manage my time at work, and provided me with kind and friendly employers whom which I can talk to and give my trust to. This place just gives you hope and will help raise you up to your next level.
Pros
Kind workers, Full of task, Friendly Customers, Caring Store Leader and a good place to start your job.
Cons
Store lacks the safety materials needed, Rude Customers, High potential risk, and Disrespectful Store Leader.
Pros & Cons
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 June 2018
Duties include learning how to use a safe and handle and drop large amounts of money.
Helping you be extremely personable especially at the gas station locations because you have a high influx of various types of people - Travelers/tourists, immigrants, students, elderly ,ect.
High demanding job but usually pay you over mim. wage to start and easy to get promoted up with really good benefits for full-time employees..
Pros
Free slurpees and drinks excluding the ice coffees .
Cons
Graveyard shifts, Being called in for a gave yard as a day time worker Or vise versa.
Good Place - No Benefits for PT employees
Kitchen Staff - Fill in Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC30 November 2018
Benefits dont kick in for 1 year, or you do not have any at all.
Organization is alright but could use some work.
Employees blame others for making mistakes and cause others to be berated for no reason.
Pros
Good Work Environment. Good hours.
Cons
Bad Location. No Benefits for 1 year.
stressful and overworked, fast paced, understaffed
Kitchen manager/Senior Certified Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 April 2018
Learned many new skills out of necessity but was never actually trained how to complete tasks to company standards.
Inconsistent company that struggles to roll out new products or promotions smoothly and without customer inconvenience,
Too many chiefs not enough Indians, most employees make just over minimum wage, while the company employees more management that front line staff, with bloated salaries too worried about protecting themselves to make positive change in the work place.

very few staff required to do multiple jobs in various areas of the store while maintaining theft controls, monitoring gas pumps, and attempting to "up-sell" food.

Unregulated breaks that allow some to take advantage, and leave others without breaks.

Good benefits, yearly raises for some, minimal advancement.

Only some drinks free, no discounts or free food, harshly enforced
Pros
free slurpee or coffee
Cons
inconsistant, out of touch, unsupported frontline workers
long hours ,
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Canada9 October 2018
this company is up and coming, but hours are long and much resposiblility is put on the manager, the work is fun and with a great team much can be accomplished.
Pros
great benifits
Work overload, no life
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 April 2018
Worked at same store for a lot of years and in the past few years the FC and market managers put slot of extra work not only on staff but also managers. They continue to put on more and more work in an already stressful environment. Managers are expected to be on call 24/7 as well as fcs have no time constraints as to when they need to stop contacting managers via text. I have gotten texts at 9 pm from my FC telling me to get to the store immediately. Very stressful work environment.
Pros
Customers were great. Benefits are good
Cons
Long hours, no life
Assistant Store Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 May 2018
A good place to start your career if you are looking for a career in retail, work can get intense during summers, pretty steady through out the year. You need to brown nose your immediate supervisors to go up
Pros
Good for Freshers, Newcomers in Canada, People looking for survival jobs
Cons
No real growth opportunities, Low Wages, Benefits need to be applied for within 2 months or you need to wait 2 years
Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2018
I got a lot of training and experience and enjoyed the old manager and staff and can advance up there . But working graveyards was hard and the new manager was always target me and accusing me of things I would never do . I was loyal and honest
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Graveyard shift
Horrible Place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 March 2018
The job itself is not a bad job nor is it hard but the company itself does not care about its employees. They make you feel like horrible if you are sick or if you miss work because a family emergency. When minimum wage went up anybody who made over the increase was basically flipped the bird because they didn't matter. Didn't matter that they worked hard that year they didn't deserve a raise. Didn't matter that they were management and did so much more work then a sales associate they didn't get a raise. Bottom line is its not worth advancing in the company. Don't give them anything because they won't give you anything in return.
Cons
High work load compared to the pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC19 May 2018
Lots of work to do, but the compensation is not enough. You can easily earn more by doing less at other jobs. But if you work hard enough, upper management starts to notice and promotions are quick to come if you keep on working hard and proving yourself.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
high work load
Retail environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2018
Very low job security and virtually no worker benefits for part time workers. Very little room for further growth in the company, work is expected to be done in unrealistic time, No food is allowed at the front, and since breaks are not paid you are actively encouraged to skip them, and if you do take 10 minutes to eat, its as if you've murdered someone.
Fun, relaxing, easy but steady workplace.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB5 September 2018
Great company to work with. Company's policies and protocols are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. Atmosphere around the management team is always positive. Enhanced my customer service skills to the max. Had a chance to learn about management stuff such as payrolls, staff management, time management etc. Working at 7-Eleven, you have to make your time to take a break (as you go), as the store provides all basic needs to the people around which keeps the store busy, but hey, that make the day goes by even faster and you feel great after you are done.
Pros
You get deals on food. Manager buys you stuff from store.
Cons
Long hours sometimes, and no breaks. (You eat as you go).
Multitasking
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC15 August 2018
good workplace, nice customers, flexible shifts
the store sells pretty much everything from food, grocery, smokes, cold drinks etc. you have to give up your breaks in order to work there.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 7-Eleven. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K