1-800-GOT-JUNK? Employee Reviews

Unreliable fulltime workplace
Field team member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
At 1-800-GOT-JUNK? You got a lot of great guys to work with in the field. Hard working great and nice personalities, the truck team guys are the only positive other then that, when you first start the management looks nice but once you finish probabtion its a different story. You get paid $11-12/hr (which should not be allowed) depending on you're position with profit share which sometimes isn't much and does not bring your hourly wage that much higher. Management doesn't listen to you. You work 4 days a week with hard hours and long hours and sometimes you have non-paid on call shifts more times in a week then shifts you actually work, even if you are full-time you may not get the hours you should get for full-time work.
Can't make money on slow days. And have to deal with things such as bed bugs and working in bad weather, holidays and all trucks are just dirty old trucks.
You find out a day before what hours you work and never know what time you will finish. Schedule is random and rotating.
No benefits until after 1 year.
Pros
Great group of truck workers
Cons
Long hours, bad management, bad scheduling and set up.
Fun, Energetic, Great Culture, Professional Development
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2018
I have worked here for 7 years. I will work here another 7 if I can. Best company I have worked for. Lots of professional development opportunities, lots of support from leadership. Goals are high but you are provided the tools to hit your goals. Highly recommend this workplace.
Pros
Professional Development, Mentoring, Benefits
Cons
Some long hours and aggressive deadlines.
Great culture, great opportunities and great people!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2018
I started as a sales agent 12 years ago. I love coming to work and love the people I work with. I've had the opportunity to develop my career over the last 12 years and I'm constantly learning everyday.

I love developing my team and watching them grow and develop their careers.

As an organization, we work hard and at a fast pace environment. We celebrate small and big wins everyday!

This is a great place to grow and develop your career as long as you put in the time, effort and engaged, you will go far.
Pros
People are great, fun culture, always being fed
Amazing Company to work for
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 June 2018
Base wage with incentives and bonuses, great benefits, awesome location in Vancouver with great company culture and room to grow. Great for a start in sales as well as room to advance in the brands.
Great Place to work for someone motivated
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
Great culture, fun people to work with. Compensation is excellent. Lots of hours but if you're putting in the work, you will be making tons of income.
Great work environment
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2018
I’ve been working at 1-800-Got Junk since June 2016; In the two years that I’ve worked here, I had seen first hand how the management is interested in keeping its employees motivated and in a pleasant and comfortable work environment. Since day one you get the feeling on belonging to a team.

I was surprised to notice that even though it is a medium-sized company, there are opportunities to grow and develop a career as long as you aim for it. In general, I feel that 1-800-Got Junk has a great culture as well as its flexible with your schedules.
Pros
Flexible Schedules and great work environment
Amazing corporate culture and job
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2018
Prior to working here, I wasn't looking for a career, but definitely see myself growing and progressing here. Most of my day consists of pretty variable work, which is great because it allows me to interact with various departments and people, but I can't say the same for everyone's experience. The culture definitely encourages work-life balance, which is a stark contrast to what I'm used to. Unity within the organization is a great perk as it's promoted through various company events and daily company-wide meetings.
Bad
Truck team member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2018
Probably the most under-payed job I have done. Would not recommend unless you want to do backbreaking work for next to nothing for a salary. They tell you to try to up sell the customer and the whole business model is shady.
Pros
driving a truck i guess
Cons
hard work for little pay - no scheduled breaks at all
Not a career, horrible management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2018
Do you like being treated like a number, taking on liability such as parking tickets, broken down trucks and anything else the company can blame you for and also having management talk to you like a 7 year old constantly? Then this is the job for you. The guys that work here are the only saving grace, other than that be prepared to have terrible management blame you for everything that goes wrong, trucks constantly breaking down which eats into your commission based pay and having to still lift fridges and pull-out couches out of basements all day. Long hours too! Highly not recommended at least for the Toronto franchise. Also in the slow months which is 30% of the year they will cut your days from 4 to 2 almost on a weekly basis!!!
Pros
Decent pay some weeks, nice employees
Cons
Terrible management, high liability ($100 parking tickets), bad company culture
Great place to start your career if you're a go-getter
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 May 2018
It's a great place to start your career at the bottom. Very easy to advance - just follow the training and set goals. Unfortunately, the space on the top (general manager position, operations manager positions) is limited but you can get some great resume out of your experience there.

Great culture, good management though varies by location. You meet many people, your day is never the same, very adventure-like job.

But some jobs are back breaking.
Pros
good management, great culture, positive athmosphere, pay
Cons
Takes a toll on your body, risk of injuries
Real opportunities for growth, if you are motivated
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 September 2018
-Very friendly work environment
-Positive management that encourage you to move up
-they abolished their training wage two months early bumping me up to full pay unexpectedly, going above and beyond my contract
-twice a month the office hosts a catered event for staff to mingle, with local brews from Red Truck
-progressive work culture
-diverse, equal opportunity employer
Pros
Free food, office beer, team outings, staff discount
Cons
Challenging schedule
Fast-paced, challenging and very rewarding.
Director (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2018
A company that truly values fit and culture. This is a place that breaks down silos and ensures people from all areas of the business get to interact and work together. There are always opportunities to collaborate and build something better together than you could do alone.

Highly transparent on how the company is doing and where they are going, with an approachable group of senior leaders who are passionate about the success of the business and the individuals within it.
Pros
Great culture of working together and celebrating success
Cons
Work/life balance can be challenging
Amazing workplace culture
Navigator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
I started working at 1-800-Got-Junk? Toronto 4 months ago and the experience has been nothing short of amazing! The culture at the Toronto franchise is awesome... It feels like one big family.

Management does a great job of communicating with employees and leading them, rather than having the typical "Boss" attitude.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with a really cool group of people, it really makes the days go by fast. Another cool part of the job is the cash tips and coming across some good finds in the field, TV's, sports memorabilia etc.

I'd recommend a Filed/Truck Team Position for anyone looking for a low stress job with some flexibility.

I'd also recommend that Management continues to organize the free monthly outings for the employees.
Pros
Free Events, Flexible Hours, Good Earning Potential, Great Training, Free Breakfast & Snacks daily, Nice Staff
Cons
None at the moment
Didn't know I could love the junk world as much as I do. :)
General Manager & FP (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2018
I started off as an employee and worked my way up to the position of Franchise Partner many years ago.

I have been with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? now for almost 15 years and still totally love what I do for a living. Until that day comes (that I no longer love what I'm doing)... I plan on continuing to be a part of 1-800-GOT-JUNK? team. The culture and friends that I have meet at 1-800-GOT-JUNK? continues (including friendships with people that have moved on to other jobs).

Love this company.
Pros
The people and culture.
Engaging, Challenging and Rewarding
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
I have been working with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? Toronto since 2010, and although this is the only "real job" I've had, I really can't imagine another workplace that checks so many boxes on the Great Place to Work list.

I started in the trucks as a driver, and after 4 years on the ground, transitioned into a sales position in the franchise office. Since then I have developed a number of skills, challenged myself with rigorous goal setting and review and have been afforded the opportunity to celebrate my successes with a great leadership team.

Whether it's a summer job or the first step in a long career in Junk Removal, 1-800-GOT-JUNK? provides a great setting for its employees to flourish.
Best company I've ever worked for!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 May 2018
I've worked at this company for many years, doing all jobs from starting as a truck team member to various roles in management. This company is one of the very few companies out there who I believe truly care about and for their employees. It's certainly not just a place where you're a number or a means for the owners to make more money. They truly care about you. Granted the work in the field is hard, but when a manager comes around in the summer as the Gatorade Fairy bringing cold drinks to a hot job, you know they actually care about you!
Pros
Amazing culture, managers who care
Cons
Truck team jos is a hard, physically demanding job
Great place to work!
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2018
Best company I have ever worked for. The culture is great, people work hard and management listens. The people are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Culture, work-life balance, management, people
Fun place to work and learn.
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 July 2018
A good job for those looking to expand their skills into the area of commercial transport and analyzing the logistics of day to day tasks to perform them in an efficient and cost effective manner. It's also fun to interact with customers and sometimes take away some really cool things from their sites. Like the show Canadian Pickers but the only difference being you get paid for this.
Pros
You can keep whatever you find.
Cons
Long hours at times but not often.
Greatest Place & People to work with!
Sales Manager, National Accounts (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2018
I have worked for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? for over 4 years and have had an unbelievable time here. I work for an extremely dedicated management team who values the contributions of everyone in the organization and truly lives the motto "its all about people".

The celebrations of success are endless and always trying to do your best radiates throughout the organization.

If you are adept to change and enjoy a fast paced life style where each day is new and exciting I believe this i the place for you!
Pros
Great people, new challenges and very rewarding
hard work driven business
Navigator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 December 2018
Small but mighty team. they work hard and it shows. great employer. great experience and good cabin mates. if you're a hard worker, you'll do just fine here.
Pros
good hours, and good money if you work hard.
Cons
Reduces hours without notice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1-800-GOT-JUNK?. Our community is ready to answer.