1-800-GOT-JUNK? Employee Reviews

each day is different
Truck Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 September 2018
each day you do something different
lots of driving down time
hourly plus tips is always a plus
decent people to work with
plenty of overtime
long days
6 days a week
Pros
decent pay checks, tips
Cons
6 days a week
Great place to make money in between school
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 August 2018
I love working here because it's no day is the same. It keeps you fresh! You're always outside instead of being stuck in the office. You get to meet a lot of people, make good money, and have fun while working. Sometimes you find cool stuff on the job and our manager never minds you keeping it. Most customers are pretty chill. We get an occasional difficult job or customer.

Oh, and you'll save on gym membership fees.
Pros
Good culture, great coworkers, fun job
Cons
Working in the rain or extreme heat sucks (thank god for A/C)
Unreliable hours, bad pay and management create an unfulfilling job experience.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2018
After working at 1800-GOT-JUNK for a substantial amount of time I can confidently tell you to look elsewhere for employment.

Your average day will consist of intense manual labour in extreme heat (at least in the summer), potentially dangerous jobs in which you will be pressured by higher ups to “get the job done” for the revenue (of which you won’t see a penny of), and no scheduled breaks (and your schedule will often be jam packed with ridiculous routes) and with the little free time you get you’re expected to advertise for the company, whether that be door hangers, signs or waves. You will only be making 14 an hour base wage which the boss thinks is too much and is always looking for opportunities to pay you less (cutting shifts, hiring a manager who’s main job is streamlining “overtime management”). Many other similar junk companies start at 16 (what you cap out at with 1800) and go upwards into the 20’s. You make profit share but it’s hard to get on it and it’s mostly negligible. Workers have been there for 8 months without profit share. Most of your extra money comes from tips which are unreliable.

Your shifts are routinely cut often without even a few hours notice. Despite being scheduled for 4-5 days a week you can often expect to work more like 3. The management sees you simply as disposable “contractors” and don’t care if you need to pay rent or make money for school. Most of the higher ups in the company wouldn’t last one day on the job but find it easy to tell you what to do (ie keep your polo tucked in after a 4 hour disgusting job in a tiny shed) on your
  more... route while lounging on a comfortable chair in the air conditioned office, eating fast food.

The company is also very reluctant to fire the bad workers despite having overhired and instead will cut the shifts of the good workers. The best part of the job is the guys you work with and the off chance that you get a relaxing day with good tips. Overall you’re much better off finding a job at another junk company such as 505-JUNK.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Management, pay, and intense manual labour.
Probably the best place you can work at. Lots of new faces everyday and nothing’s the same! Everybody is super positive and supporting
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2018
I personally love working for 1800 got junk! we are all a big family and we always have some great stories to share and everyone is super chill. Fun and loud as we are. Some days are a little slow but the big ones is what I really look forward for. Always moving and working hard.
Pros
Endless supply of water bottles
Cons
Working like a dog some days.
Fun place to work and learn.
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 July 2018
A good job for those looking to expand their skills into the area of commercial transport and analyzing the logistics of day to day tasks to perform them in an efficient and cost effective manner. It's also fun to interact with customers and sometimes take away some really cool things from their sites. Like the show Canadian Pickers but the only difference being you get paid for this.
Pros
You can keep whatever you find.
Cons
Long hours at times but not often.
great job with great people
Truck Team Partner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 July 2018
1800 got junk was a very beneficial job. I gained great customer service skills and even a bit of sales knowledge. I would recommend this job to many people.
Pros
great tips
Cons
inconsistent hours
Badly Managed, Dangerous Working Conditions, Unrealistic Expectations
Truck Lead / Driver / Health and Safety Rep (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 July 2018
Start work at 8am on average. Truck inspection takes 20-15 min.s and yet you are expected to pull the trucks out and be on the road by 8am. Two people in each truck. Each night you find out if there are enough jobs for you to work the next morning and when you get to work you never know what time you will be finishing. It could be just a few hours or it could turn into an 18 hour day.

Customers are to be called 30 mins before their appointment window starts and appointments start at 8am. We don't even start work until 8am. And who wants a call at 7:30 am?

There are no lunch breaks and no 15min breaks. You are expected to eat in the trucks while driving to the next job. Your truck partner may not have a licence so you could be doing all the driving all day long trying to eat and drive.

The managers track the trucks by GPS and call you about everything. I was called by a manager for pulling over at a gas station to use the washroom and was interrogated on the phone being asked why I didn't use the washroom at the customer's house!

Management has a difficult job of trying to oversee 15 or so trucks in the franchise everyday with appointments coming and going all day long, and looking at travel time between destinations. They never know how long an appointment will take and all they have to go on is the truck team's estimate when they get on site. With that being said there is no need for a manager to be swearing at you on the job or call you for 36min. after clock out at the end of the day at 10pm at night driving home, just to tell you what a terrible job
  more... you did. I just stayed pulled over for another 20 min. trying to wipe away the tears to drive again.

The turnover rate at this job is so bad I didn't know anyone that made it 2 years working in the trucks unless they were management. Hardly anyone makes it past 3 months and because of this there is no one with experience to train the new hires. So you have newbies training the newbies so no one knows what they are doing. When lifting pianos and hot tubs by hand you have to know what you are doing. Or when completing a truck inspection to make sure your rig is safe, that only comes from proper training.

Promotions are a joke.

Putting Management Aside...
The job its self was great. I really enjoyed meeting new customers, seeing old customers again and catching up, seeing the relief on customer's faces when the junk is gone and they have their space back, enjoying good music in the truck, finding treasures to bring home, tips from customers when we have done a good job and they want to say thank you, the variety of being outside/inside lifting heavy stuff, to sitting and driving.

On the rare occasion a manager was too busy to pay attention to us in the trucks working, we were as happy as could be working away doing our jobs but there was still the nagging fear in my gut that a manager might call any moment to pressure us, and tell us we aren't doing enough. It has been 8 months since I stopped working their and still, every time I hear the same ringtone as the work phone at 1-800-Got-Junk, my anxiety spikes.

Loved the job, could not stand the management.
Pros
You can take treasures you fined home.
Cons
Your basic human rights will be violated at some point.
Great culture, great opportunities and great people!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 July 2018
I started as a sales agent 12 years ago. I love coming to work and love the people I work with. I've had the opportunity to develop my career over the last 12 years and I'm constantly learning everyday.

I love developing my team and watching them grow and develop their careers.

As an organization, we work hard and at a fast pace environment. We celebrate small and big wins everyday!

This is a great place to grow and develop your career as long as you put in the time, effort and engaged, you will go far.
Pros
People are great, fun culture, always being fed
Truck Team Member (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 July 2018
Best Job I ever had
AMAZING FOR STUDENT, you can do 10-12 hours a day amazing tip and profit share.
Learned how to navigate the city and how to avoid traffic at certain times of the day.
Great staff. Management and Owner want the best out of you.
Very flexible schedule
The hardest part of the job is stairs.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Stairs
Fun jamais la meme job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Montérégie, QC4 July 2018
Place le fun pour travailler en équipe et pouvoir trouver des objet rare
Pros
Belle place a tracailer
Cons
Rien
Great place to work!
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2018
Best company I have ever worked for. The culture is great, people work hard and management listens. The people are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Culture, work-life balance, management, people
Great place to learn, develop skills and build a career
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2018
I started as a Customer Service Agent several years ago and now manage a team with a significant contribution to the direction and performance of the company. The job is hard work, but we rally behind each other and celebrate wins big or small. It's incredible to be part of something that makes a difference down to each local Truck Team across North America and Australia. We're given the opportunity to learn and develop along the way -- with internal programs and mentorship as well as whole/partially funded external courses.
Pros
Professional development, opportunities to travel, trust and autonomy
Greatest Place & People to work with!
Sales Manager, National Accounts (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2018
I have worked for 1-800-GOT-JUNK? for over 4 years and have had an unbelievable time here. I work for an extremely dedicated management team who values the contributions of everyone in the organization and truly lives the motto "its all about people".

The celebrations of success are endless and always trying to do your best radiates throughout the organization.

If you are adept to change and enjoy a fast paced life style where each day is new and exciting I believe this i the place for you!
Pros
Great people, new challenges and very rewarding
Fast-paced, challenging and very rewarding.
Director (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 June 2018
A company that truly values fit and culture. This is a place that breaks down silos and ensures people from all areas of the business get to interact and work together. There are always opportunities to collaborate and build something better together than you could do alone.

Highly transparent on how the company is doing and where they are going, with an approachable group of senior leaders who are passionate about the success of the business and the individuals within it.
Pros
Great culture of working together and celebrating success
Cons
Work/life balance can be challenging
Great work environment
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2018
I’ve been working at 1-800-Got Junk since June 2016; In the two years that I’ve worked here, I had seen first hand how the management is interested in keeping its employees motivated and in a pleasant and comfortable work environment. Since day one you get the feeling on belonging to a team.

I was surprised to notice that even though it is a medium-sized company, there are opportunities to grow and develop a career as long as you aim for it. In general, I feel that 1-800-Got Junk has a great culture as well as its flexible with your schedules.
Pros
Flexible Schedules and great work environment
Engaging, Challenging and Rewarding
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
I have been working with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? Toronto since 2010, and although this is the only "real job" I've had, I really can't imagine another workplace that checks so many boxes on the Great Place to Work list.

I started in the trucks as a driver, and after 4 years on the ground, transitioned into a sales position in the franchise office. Since then I have developed a number of skills, challenged myself with rigorous goal setting and review and have been afforded the opportunity to celebrate my successes with a great leadership team.

Whether it's a summer job or the first step in a long career in Junk Removal, 1-800-GOT-JUNK? provides a great setting for its employees to flourish.
Great Place to work for someone motivated
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2018
Great culture, fun people to work with. Compensation is excellent. Lots of hours but if you're putting in the work, you will be making tons of income.
Amazing corporate culture and job
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2018
Prior to working here, I wasn't looking for a career, but definitely see myself growing and progressing here. Most of my day consists of pretty variable work, which is great because it allows me to interact with various departments and people, but I can't say the same for everyone's experience. The culture definitely encourages work-life balance, which is a stark contrast to what I'm used to. Unity within the organization is a great perk as it's promoted through various company events and daily company-wide meetings.
Fun, Energetic, Great Culture, Professional Development
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2018
I have worked here for 7 years. I will work here another 7 if I can. Best company I have worked for. Lots of professional development opportunities, lots of support from leadership. Goals are high but you are provided the tools to hit your goals. Highly recommend this workplace.
Pros
Professional Development, Mentoring, Benefits
Cons
Some long hours and aggressive deadlines.
Great culture and development opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2018
It's amazing to see the deep focus on culture and development at 1-800-GOT-JUNK?. The culture runs through all levels of the organization and you feel it from the moment you start. There are tons of opportunities for development as well with well-organized performance reviews and engagement and development plans to help employee achieve their personal and professional goals. The blue is also a great colour to wear!
Pros
101 Life Goals program. Awesome culture, team and energy. Focus on professional development and pushing you to achieve your goals.
Cons
Video conferencing functionality between offices. But does this really work perfectly anywhere?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1-800-GOT-JUNK?. Our community is ready to answer.