Successful Applicants will be required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
The Medical Laboratory Technologist performs analytical tests and procedures offered by the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine using appropriate methodologies and quality assurance techniques. The Medical Laboratory Technologist possesses the technical ability and problem-solving skills to perform all tests (both manual & automated) in the clinical laboratories. Performs laboratory tests with a network of steps and variables according to established protocols and works with little or no supervision in emergency and weekend/night situations. Operates instruments that are often computer integrated and networked and uses computerized information systems. Compares test results to pre-established criteria (reference intervals) and makes decisions regarding the reportability of results, thus exercising independent judgement. Stressful working conditions require the Medical Laboratory Technologist to be tactful, sensitive and able to communicate effectively and professionally. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times as deemed essential by the Medical Laboratory Technologist Code of Conduct.
- Must be a graduate from an approved program in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Must be licensed with NSCMLT
- Laboratory Technologist experience in core setting is an asset
- Previous experience with LIS (Cerner Millennium) preferred
- Previous phlebotomy experience an asset
- Good judgement required in solving technical problems and assessing validity of results before reporting
- Considerable mental and visual demands in decision making, calculations using complex instruments and microscopy
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Hours of Work
- Long assignment full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
- Beginning January 31, 2011 with an expected end date of February 6, 2012
- Shift work required
Medical Lab Tech A:
$24.5512 - $29.8923 Hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position.
This is a NSGEU Bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions.
We will contact you should you be selected for an interview. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Capital Health is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment that promotes our vision - Healthy people, healthy communities.
Capital District Health Authority - 2 years ago