Reporting to the Supervisor Health Information Management, the HIM Clerk II provides clerical support for the Health Records department by processing patient records for filing, storage and scanning. Maintains filing systems in accordance with AHS policies and procedures.
- Retrieves, prepares and files patient charts
- Updating record locator routine
- Retrieving incomplete charts for physicians, health record staff, units, or other hospital departments
- Sorting, delivering and filing reports as per departmental policies and procedures
- Maintaining and organizing filing areas
- Retrieving and preparing files to be scanned according to departmental policies and procedures
- Scanning of chart information
- Verifying images for quality and accuracy
- Preparing charts for storage by filing and organizing original records
Performs clerical tasks for the department such as:
- Sorting and stamping typed reports
- Ordering and storing office supplies
- Emptying telelift carts and sorting and distributing incoming charts and/or documents
- Assisting co-workers with workloads as required
Completes and distributes the necessary forms for the registration of vital statistics:
- Maintaining birth records
- Entering names of newborn children in the computer system
- Completing death registrations and transmitting to the Department of Vital Statistics
Assembles and performs Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis in standard order patient charts, such as:
- Sorting and attaching copies of inpatient and outpatient reports to appropriate patient chart in accordance with chart assembly list
- Ensuring the patient chart number is recorded on all loose sections of the file
- Performing Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis and processing incomplete discharges according to department procedures
Performs other related duties, such as, but not limited to:
- Preparing and updating orientation manual for HIM Clerks
- Preparing chart folders, tabs and admission dividers
- Printing and updating incomplete record and record locator lists during scheduled computer downtime
- Providing training and orientation to staff and physicians
- Participating on HIM related committees and projects
- Adhering to Safe Work practices
- Participating in educational sessions and in-services
- Displaying a commitment to regional mission, values and vision
In addition to a competitive rate of pay, Alberta Health Services currently has a Remote Retention Allowance in place to an annual maximum of $3,000. This allowance is non-pensionable and is payable on an hourly basis for all hours paid at the basic rate of pay.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology preferred.
- Experience in health records, client registration, and accounts receivable.
- Experience in clerical duties, preferably in a health care environment.
- Ability to deal with high volumes of workload within definite time constraints.
- Ability to operate a computer with speed and accuracy and type 50 net w.p.m and other office equipment (fax, photocopier, scanner).
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to function as a team member in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to explain procedures, obtain and document accurate information.
- Ability to perform duties both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to respond quickly under pressure.
- Ability to train new staff, as required.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to control stressful situations in a calm and assertive manner.
- Evidence of superior communication and customer service skills.
- Evidence of good judgment in the application of procedures.
- Evidence of maturity, thoroughness, accuracy and attention to detail in performing duties.
- Evidence of patience, tact, and pleasant manner in dealing with clients.
- Evidence of good understanding of the need for confidentiality and the necessity to maintain the right to privacy.
Alberta Health Services - 30+ days ago
We are the skilled and dedicated health professionals, support staff, volunteers and physicians who promote wellness and provide health care...