To oversee and direct the seamless running of the kitchen, by providing a highly efficient and effective service whilst ensuring that all financial and statutory requirements are met, and supporting the delivery of outstanding customer service. To implement delivery of the business strategy in conjunction with the General Manager. Reporting to the General Manager.
Objectives & goals
- Seek and maximize revenue opportunities and minimise costs without compromising standards.
- Effectively oversee and direct the kitchen department in a smooth and operational manner.
- Guide and lead by example in all areas of kitchen conduct.
- Create a motivated and high performing team, committed to delivering high standards of food production and presentation.
- Flawless reputation for the kitchen on health and safety issues.
- Respond to any changes in the kitchen as dictated by the needs of the operations and the company working closely with the General Manager to ensure a seamless operation.
- Protect the health, safety and well being of our guests and colleagues.
- Establish and maintain clear communication to the brigade, which is both positive and direct.
- Be an agent of change, constantly reviewing service delivery and pushing the standards limits.
Responsibilities & job activities
- Develop, implement, train and monitor all menus.
- Create and implement appropriate menus across all departments, which are seasonally inspired and updated as, required.
- Responsible for the operation of the kitchen, ensuring the effective flow of work through the kitchen in preparation and for service.
- Discuss all food complaints with the kitchen brigade and take remedial action to avoid further customer dissatisfaction.
- Build relations with the restaurant service team to enable constructive feedback on service, food quality, drive and motivation in order to continually raise guest expectations.
- Ensure that food quality is maintained at the highest standard at all times and taking action as required.
- Plan daily specials, menu compilation, dish and recipe development, in line with the periodical menu changes.
- Supervise the daily procedure of receiving food and related supplies to the kitchen, rejecting and returning as and when necessary.
- Oversee the daily completion of kitchen market lists to ensure all orders are placed efficiently and on time.
- Ensure that all section files and recipes are maintained and updated and in addition that they are adhered to on all sections, at all times.
- Co-ordinate with PDR administrator and Reservations Manager, to deliver menus for private and group functions respectively.
- Operate the pass service of food from the kitchen to the restaurant, liaising with the restaurant service staff and ensuring the food is consistently to the standard required.
- Oversee menu engineering, taking seasonal availability and cost effectiveness into account.
- Manage employees ensuring that the correct standards of and methods of service are maintained.
- Sets an example of cleanliness and correct work practices to all kitchen personnel.
- Demonstrate a high standard of personal appearance, ensuring good personal hygiene for self and team.
- Ensure the kitchen’s operational budgets are strictly adhered to, all food costs are controlled and expenditure approved in line with anticipated sales.
- Deliver food cost within budget by ensuring competitiveness of suppliers.
- Management of monthly stocktake.
- Ensure that the kitchen’s labour costs are strictly adhered to and match the needs of the business, completing labor forecasting in a timely fashion, driving profitability and reducing staffing cost base.
- Manage the completion of all administrative documentation including requisitions and internal transfers relevant to the departments accountability.
- Control wastage by managing the maintenance of the correct stock levels and rotation from dry stores and avoidance of the over ordering or production of food and mise en place.
- Be aware of, and make your team aware of the required food cost percentages as set down by the budget and to manage the department within these guidelines at all times.
- Manage the prevention of pilferage from the dry stores and refrigeration within the department, by keeping all areas locked, and relevant keys safe where necessary.
- Provide a clear handover during shift changes and ensure each shift is reviewed and handovers / briefings are carried out.
- Management of bi-weekly meetings ensuring the team are fully briefed.
- Remain aware and notify your team of any menu changes, special requirements (including menu items and dishes), and outstanding orders or work tasks required prior to the commencement of service.
- Ensure all staff are well briefed on their responsibilities and are given constant supervision and motivation on all aspects of their work.
- Supervise the daily morning meetings with all senior chefs to brief on the day’s activities, menus and events.
- Supervise the daily briefing sessions with the restaurant service staff to inform them of menus, specials, shortages and timing schedules.
- Attend meetings as required, taking the opportunity to enter into discussions and present ideas and solutions in a positive fashion.
- Build and maintain an efficient team of employees, driving the team towards the objectives of the business.
- Recruit and select employees to the agreed staffing levels using cost effective recruitment methods.
- Ensure professional departmental induction is completed consistently and its effectiveness reviewed with HR.
- Develop a calendar of all key training with the HR Officer, identifying training needs and capability gaps within the brigade.
- Manage all employees’ performance in line with job descriptions, giving regular feedback and appraisals.
- Manage all disciplinary and grievance issues within the department in consultation with the Human Resources team, giving particular focus to the kitchen / restaurant relationship.
- Audit holiday and sickness administration to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Ensure all staff completes an exit interview.
- Support staff committees, ensuring consistent representation from the kitchen.
Health and safety
- Remain updated on H&S legislation, taking action as required.
- Ensure all working areas of the kitchen, dry stores and refrigeration are maintained in a clean and hygienic condition at all times.
- Ensure all departmental staff works hygienically and productively.
- Ensure the standards, reports and controls for health and safety, food hygiene, risk assessments, COSHH, manual handling and produce are maintained as prescribed by legislation, the company and independent auditors.
- Review and communicate health and safety audit reports and initiate required action as required.
- Ensure that all kitchen personnel strictly adhere to manufacturers instructions of use of all machinery and equipment.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment is maintained to operating specifications and to complete weekly maintenance lists where necessary which are forwarded to a designated supplier or contractor.
- Action and respond to alleged food hygiene issues, deploying all necessary resources to protect reputation and brand integrity.
- Ensure a safe workplace by identifying and reporting hazards and taking corrective action.
- Be fully aware of fire, bomb and evacuation procedures for your department and your colleagues.
Making it happen
- Stimulate change, challenge assumption and ways of working to move the business forward.
- Develop and encourage positive, direct and open relationships amongst all colleagues.
- Within the department, support a culture of pride, ownership and desire to exceed expectation.
- Foster a culture of flexibility. Responding quickly and positively to changing requirements whether within the department or outside in order to meet business demands.
- Facilitate the creation of business strategies and conduct regular strategy update meetings.
- Instill a culture of pride and ownership, ensuring a seamless operation at all times.
- Degree/certificate from renowned culinary institute or hotel management school.
- Minimum 5 years experience in similar role, preferably with conveyor belt management.
- Strong knowledge of Asian cuisine.
- High volume experience managing teams of 10 plus cooks.
- Must have legal permission to work in Canada.
Additional job skills desired
- Personable, intelligent and well spoken with the ability to connect with guests and provide information when requested.
- Great supplier and vendor relationships.
- Effective communicator.
- High standards of personal performance.
- Professional "whatever it takes" attitude.
- Strong sense of urgency.
- Experience with cost control, labour and food cost and inventory software systems.
Benefits & compensation
Negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience. This is an excellent opportunity for career growth and to put your name on the culinary map of Montreal!
Indeed - 23 months ago