Can you imagine being isolated for months with no visits from family or friends? This is unfortunately the reality for many seniors and adults with physical disabilities living independently in Toronto. Just 2 hours out of your week would make all the difference to one of our clients! Friendly Visitors are matched with a client to visit for two hours in the client’s home or community to provide companionship, emotional support and socialization.
Society of Sharing: Inner-City Volunteers provides services to help at-risk seniors remain connected to the community and continue to live independently in their own home for as long as possible. For 33 years the agency has provided clients with volunteers who give emotional support, community access, and friendship to lonely and isolated seniors and adults with physical disabilities.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
- Improve the quality of life for a person in need!
- Eligible for a reference letter after 6 months of service
- Gain experience and learn about issues facing seniors and people with disabilities through on-going training and workshops
- Pump up your resume
HOW YOU’LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Help clients feel secure and independent
- Assist by helping to minimize illness, hospitalization and premature institution
- Provide friendly companionship while reducing loneliness and isolation
- Minimum 18 years old
- Must consent to a Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Minimum one year commitment -2 hours per week
- A genuine interest in helping others
To learn more visit:
http://www.societyofsharing.org/volunteer.html to fill out an application form
or contact reception(at)societyofsharing.org /416-413-0380 x221
We are a non-profit that helps to reduce isolation among seniors, and adults with physical disabilities,in downtown Toronto, by recruiting...