Character Animation Technical Director Position: (Sessional Hire)
This is a sessional contract position for nine months involving full-time work with Sheridan College's Screen Industries Research and Training Centre (SIRT). Work will include research leadership and support on multiple projects with industry partners, involving faculty, students and other SIRT staff, as well as technical support for Sheridan faculty and staff developing curriculum in related areas.
We are looking for someone with at least four years experience as a character animation technical director with experience on produced television, game and/or feature film projects. You will create, develop and refine all technical aspects of the animation production pipeline including character/facial/creature/mechanical animation rig set-ups, with main emphasis on the integration of motion capture/performance capture technologies within these pipelines both in real-time and as a post-processed data source. You are comfortable working autonomously and as part of an interdisciplinary team.
SIRT is an applied research centre established by Sheridan College in 2010 at Pinewood Toronto Studios in the east end of Toronto. It’s dedicated to fostering collaborative innovation in Ontario’s film, gaming and television industries. SIRT works with industry, academic, and government partners to conduct collaborative research and provide Ontario’s professionals the training needed to build the province’s competitive advantage in the screen-based entertainment industries.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or equivalent
- 4 years of experience in animation, with pipeline integration or other equivalent experience as a key aspect of responsibilities
- Excellent knowledge of animation software (eg. Maya, Houdini, MotionBuilder, character design/topology and rigging for animation)
- Knowledge of motion capture workflows and systems
- Strong independent contributor and team player in a multi-disciplinary environment
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of Vicon Blade software and its integration with MotionBuilder
- Python and Mel Scripting abilities
- Experience in developing tools to facilitate pipeline integration and quality of animation
- Ability to lead through example
This position will start beginning of January 2013. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the job is open until filled.