Position Title: Children’s Settlement Practitioner
Program: Colour Our World
Posting Number: 12-021
The Centre for Newcomers is an Alberta leader in providing settlement and career services to immigrants. Our mission is to achieve the integration of newcomers in the community, through services and initiatives that promote diversity, participation and citizenship. We make a positive difference in the lives of all Calgarians
The Role: Reporting to the Children’s Settlement Program Co-ordinator, this position develops children’s program ideas and curriculum based on the objectives of the program. This is a full-time position starting immediately. Some evening/weekend work will be required.
Program Information: Colour Our World is an innovative settlement service for new immigrants and refugee children ages 2-12 years that assists them in adjusting to life in Canada.
- Developing children’s program ideas and curriculum based on the objectives of the program;
- Designing and implementing group and individual activities addressing settlement needs of children age 2-12;
- Facilitating the circle time, incorporating story reading and singing of rhymes into the session activities;
- Providing opportunities for children to acquire basic developmental skills which facilitate the transition to their new life in Canada:
- Collaborating with other team members in conducting continuous intake and assessment of children; gathering feedback from participants;
- Providing reports on program procedures and results to the Program Coordinator;
- Participating in regular program meetings;
- Active Participation in Professional developmental activities;
- Performing other related responsibilities as required by the Program Coordinator.
- Degree in child development or related field;
- Experience working with children’s programs;
- Demonstrated high levels of creativity and enthusiasm, with proven ability to interact with participating families;
- Cultural Sensitivity and experience related to multicultural service delivery;
- Demonstrated knowledge of lesson planning and use of assessment tools;
- Excellent communication and team work skills;
- Fluency in English and a second language such as, but not exclusive to, Mandarin, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi would be an asset;
- CPR and First Aid Training;
To apply, please forward your cover letter & resume quoting the posting # 12-021 to the below mentioned email:
Posting opened 19/12/2012 and closes 4/1/2013
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates short-listed will be contacted.
The Centre for Newcomers is a place where newcomers to Canada find connections in Calgary.
Making a positive difference in the lives of...