Name of Organization: C/S Construction Specialties Company
Date: June 3, 2013
Job Title: Senior Estimator
Conditions of Employment: Full time
Start Date: ASAP
Reports to: Director of sales
Reporting to the Director of Sales & Marketing, the Senior Estimator is a working supervisor of the estimating team, providing accurate and timely estimating support to sales team/customers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Continuous development of estimating team members and implementation of standardized procedures and systems to improve accuracy, consistency and productivity of estimating, quoting, follow-up and order processing.
- Assist sales manager in establishing pricing policies and procedures to insure target margins are maintained.
- Hire, train and supervise estimating personnel under guidelines of the National Sales Manager
- Develop and maintain cost variance reporting system and monitor production & project costs.
- Make adjustments to costing variables and procedures as required.
- Special initiatives as required on an ongoing basis.
- Development and continuous improvement of take-off and estimating programs/procedures for use of estimating and sales staff.
- Direct and supervise estimating personnel and sales administration staff in regards to estimating, pricing, quote systems, follow-up and order processing.
- Maintain historical database of competitive pricing feedback utilized to establish current price positioning.
- Determination of accurate scope of work by directly performing material take-offs from tender documents or by utilizing outside take-off services.
- Prepare project estimates of all probable costs including but not limited to materials, labour, finishing, drafting, freight, installation, other outside services.
- Directly produce written quotations and proposals and/or coordinate with sales personnel to insure completeness of quote detail and qualifications.
- Maintain an accuracy checking system against take-off and estimating with necessary sign offs.
- Provide detailed estimate and cost summary to CBU sales personnel.
- Develop/maintain methods for recording of quotation and sales performance data.
- Maintain and publish up to date price lists on a regular basis.
- Provide consultative support and/or design assistance to design professionals and other customers directly or in support of sales team when necessary. This may consist of assistance in product selection, detailing, specification writing and budget pricing.
- Organize job file with pertinent estimating and quote history and up to date cost summary against awarded contract price for order processing.
- Develop and maintain cost variance reporting system and monitor production & project costs. Make adjustments to costing variables and procedures as required.
- Monitor and maintain current and potential future costs of commodities, currency exchange and labour rates.
- Direct and assist in value engineering of awarded projects to maximize both profitability and customer satisfaction.
- Establish purchasing breakeven levels and guidelines.
- Liaison with production and purchasing to insure purchases of materials and services are within estimated budget.
- Investigate cost failures and make recommendations to avoid future occurrences.
- Administration of awarded projects as required.
Management Support / Quality Control:
- Develop and maintain program for provision of customer LEED documentation including development of necessary templates.
- Establish and maintain control systems to insure sales are made at minimum target margins.
- Tracking of estimating workload for personnel.
- Develop awareness of potential unforeseen risks and advise management on potential policies and procedures to maximize profitability and customer satisfaction.
- Assist sales manager in reviewing functionality of departmental teams and advise on potential policies and procedures to maximize profitability and customer satisfaction.
Must have 5-10 years’ experience in a similar Senior Estimator role
Experience in the building materials industry would be an asset
Supervisory experience would be an asset
Advanced knowledge of MS EXCEL is a requirement
Proven Time Management and Multi-tasking Skills
Excellent organizational skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Advanced computer skills are required