BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
Gender & Sexual Health Initiative (GSHI)
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.
STATUS: Casual position - 1-year term with potential for renewal
JOB START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
LOCATION: BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, BC
JOB: Works with HIV/AIDS research team under the direction of the BC-CfE Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator, will be responsible for screening interviews and follow-up with marginalized women (e.g. women living with HIV, refugee/immigrant women, women working in sex work, both on and off the street).
ORGANIZATION: The BC-CfE currently employs a team of Statisticians, Programmers, Data Managers, Clinical Research Assistants, Data Analysts and Data Entry Clerks who work collaboratively on cohort-based epidemiological and clinical studies. The BC-CfE is a world-renowned HIV/AIDS Research Centre including Research Laboratory, Clinical Trials, Drug Treatment Program, Epidemiology and Professional Education Programs.
- Following up on clients who have consented to being contacted for research studies, provides information and answers questions about protocol process.
- Prescreens clients via the telephone or in person using standardized questionnaire or other data collection tool(s).
- Schedules appointments for interviews with eligible clients and conducts interviews.
- Travels to other facilities or locations with varying environments to conduct interviews.
- Keeps detailed records of client contact and interview information.
- Follows appropriate informed consent procedures and adheres to guidelines for research with human subjects.
- Participates in training to ensure data confidentiality and integrity.
- Reviews questionnaires / surveys etc. for completeness and accuracy before submitting to supervisor.
- Responds in a timely manner to supervisors should problems occur with questionnaires / surveys or interviewing techniques.
- Conduct screening, baseline and 6-monthly follow-up interviews using standardized questionnaires.
- Provide information and answer questions about protocol process. Conduct screening visits using standardized questionnaires.
- Connect with women for baseline and 6-monthly interview appointments at the project office or other research sites as needed.
- Facilitate brief mapping of health assets and access to services.
- Participate in recruitment activities on and off street.
- Participate in training and on-going efforts to ensure data integrity.
- Have flexibility in working hours for both day and night time work to connect with outreach population.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School diploma or equivalency required.
- Bachelor's degree in health care, social services or social sciences preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Prior experience working in a health care setting an asset.
- Ability to work autonomously without direct day-to-day supervision.
- Must be self-motivated to set work schedule and interviews with clients.
- Prior interviewing experience an asset.
- Excellent Computer Skills.
- Class 5 BC Driver’s License is an asset.
ASSETS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience working in gender, sexual health, and HIV/AIDS and marginalized populations, including sex workers, Indigenous and new immigrant/migrant communities.
- Experience working in community-based organizations/community based research.
- Knowledge of current sex work policy issues and broader gender, sexual health and HIV/AIDS.
- We encourage those living with HIV, of Aboriginal ancestry and with sex work experience to apply.
- The BC-CfE is an equal opportunity employer: GSHI is committed to GIWA/MIWA principles.
Included in your letter of submission:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Experience and interests
Note: Applications received without a cover letter will NOT be considered.
c/o Andrea Simmonds-Coleman, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, BC
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 10, 2014