-Clinical Research Associate-
BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE)
Urban Health Research Initiative (UHRI) - ARYS STUDY
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.
STATUS: A part-time position (20 hours per week), 1-year contract with pootential of extension
JOB START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
LOCATION: BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE)
JOB: Works within the HIV/AIDS research team under the Principal Investigator and Project Coordinators in multiple large-scale prospective cohort studies following youth and adults who use illicit drugs. Is responsible for collecting data, conducting venipuncture, providing support in education, pre and post test counseling, follow up and out reach with study participants. Assists the research group in the implementation, and execution of research and research related activities.
ORGANIZATION: The BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS currently employs a team of Statisticians, Programmers, Data Managers, Clinical Research Assistants, Data Analysts and Data Entry Clerks who work collaboratively on cohort-based epidemiological and clinical studies. The BC-CfE is a world-renowned HIV/AIDS research centre including Research Laboratory, Clinical Trials, Drug Treatment Program, Epidemiology and Professional Education Programs.
- Collects specimens.
- Conducts interviews for the purpose to fulfill study protocol requirements.
- Collects research related data from participants, medical records, client charts, etc.
- Transcribes data from medical records onto clinic or research charts and case report forms.
- Collects back-up source documentation as required.
- Confers with study participants to explain purpose of study and obtain informed consent.
- Photocopies documentation as required.
- Conducts HIV/STI testing and pre/-post-test counseling
- Explains procedures and/or treatment plans to alleviate patient and/or family concerns
- Initiates/coordinates laboratory procedures and treatments
- Inquires by phone or in person regarding new symptoms and provides guidance, referring to clinic and community physicians, as necessary
- Maintains appropriate record keeping and research charts
- Confers with other health care professionals as necessary (i.e. HIV providers, general practitioners)
- Contributes to ongoing research participant recruitment and outreach efforts.
- Assists in tracking efforts to bring participants back for follow-up interviews or testing.
- Ensures potential participants meet criteria for study entry
- Maintains strict confidentiality related to participant identification and release of research data.
- Keeps the Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator informed of any study related problems or trends in research data
- Other related duties as required
- Current RN (CRNBC) registration
- Experience working with at-risk populations, including the homeless, street-involved
youth, drug users, and commercial sex trade workers
- Experience working with study participants
- Knowledge and skill in recruiting and screening potential study participants
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Meticulous record keeper
- Computer skills including database use, data entry, report retrieval
- HIV Pre/Post Test Counseling training an asset
- STI Management an asset
- Knowledge of the Downtown Eastside and/or Downtown South community an asset
- Knowledge of harm reduction and HIV/HCV related resources
- Works well in a team setting
- Ability to work in unstructured flexible environment
Please include in your letter of submission:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter – applications submitted without a Cover Letter will not be considered.
- Salary Expectation and Availability
CONTACT: c/o Andrea Simmonds-Coleman, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: July 18, 2014