-Clinical Research Associate-
BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE)
Gender and Sexual Health Initiative (GSHI)
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.
STATUS: A casual position
JOB START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
LOCATION: BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE)
JOB: Working within the HIV/AIDS research team under the Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator of the GSHI Project to perform patient care and participate in the management of education, pre/post-test counseling, and follow-up outreach with marginalized women (e.g. women living with HIV, refugee/immigrant women, women working in sex work, both on and off the street). Collects, transcribes and organizes study-related data.
ORGANIZATION: The BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS currently employs a team of Statisticians, Programmers, Data Managers, Clinical Research Assistants, Data Analysts and Data Entry Clerks who work collaboratively on cohort-based epidemiological and clinical studies. The BC-CfE is a world-renowned HIV/AIDS research centre including Research Laboratory, Clinical Trials, Drug Treatment Program, Epidemiology and Professional Education Programs.
- Collects specimens.
- Conducts interviews for the purpose to fulfill study protocol requirements.
- Collects research related data from participants, medical records, client charts, etc.
- Transcribes data from medical records onto clinic or research charts and case report forms.
- Collects back-up source documentation as required.
- Confers with study participants to explain purpose of study and obtain informed consent.
- Conducts HIV/STI testing and pre/-post-test counseling.
- Explains procedures and/or treatment plans to alleviate patient and/or family concerns.
- Initiates/coordinates laboratory procedures and treatments.
- Inquires by phone or in person regarding new symptoms and provides guidance, referring to clinic and community physicians, as necessary.
- Maintains appropriate record keeping and research charts.
- Confers with other health care professionals as necessary (i.e. HIV providers, general practitioners).
- Contributes to ongoing research participant recruitment and outreach efforts.
- Assists in tracking efforts to bring participants back for follow-up interviews or testing.
- Ensures potential participants meet criteria for study entry.
- Maintains strict confidentiality related to participant identification and release of research data.
- Keeps the Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator informed of any study related problems or trends in research data.
- Other related duties as required.
- RN (BScN preferred)
- Two years minimum experience working in a busy academic, clinical healthcare setting preferred
- Knowledge of and participation in community-based research considered an asset
- Current registration with CRNBC
- Current CPR Certificate
- HIV Pre/Post Test Counseling training and CRNBC STI Management Certification
- Knowledge of current research regulatory guidelines and standards is preferred
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with study participants, including strong interviewing skills, and ability to establish rapport, and assess situations and respond accordingly.
- Knowledge and skill in recruiting and screening potential study participants.
- Knowledge and skill in the techniques, procedures and principles for the collection of blood and urine samples, e.g. HIV/STI.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, completing research questionnaires, reviewing and collecting data from charts and maintaining related records
- Ability to manage multiple duties, work independently and within a team
- Class 5 BC Driver’s License is an asset
ASSETS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience working in gender, sexual health, and HIV/AIDS and marginalized populations, including sex workers, Indigenous and new immigrant/migrant communities.
- Experience working in community-based organizations/community based research.
- Knowledge of current sex work policy issues and broader gender, sexual health and HIV/AIDS.
- We encourage those living with HIV, of Aboriginal ancestry and with sex work experience to apply.
- The BC-CfE is an equal opportunity employer: GSHI is committed to GIWA/MIWA principles.
Please include in your letter of submission:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter – applications submitted without a Cover Letter will not be considered.
- Salary Expectation and Availability
CONTACT: c/o Andrea Simmonds-Coleman, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: August 10, 2014