Operate the plant’s turbo-generator sets, heat recovery steam generator and all auxiliaries through a distributed control system in a safe & efficient manner.
Operate equipment and perform repairs as needed, maintaining facility equipment at the highest possible standard maximizing availability, reliability, and minimizing losses and penalties.
Ensuring compliance with the Facility’s Environmental Management Program taking all reasonable precautions to prevent incidents of noncompliance as well as performing preventative environmental tasks as assigned.
Ensuring compliance with the Facility’s Health and Safety Management Program taking all reasonable precautions and following established procedures to prevent accidents and incidents.
Shift work and rotation between shift engineer and floor operator positions. There will also be maintenance relief or vacation coverage rotation.
Assure conformity with Power Purchase and Steam Sales Agreements with emphasis on maximizing profits and minimizing penalties.
Perform routine and preventative maintenance on plant equipment and recommend operational and/or maintenance changes that enhance performance and availability.
Responsible for creating, hanging, verifying and removing lock out tag out work protection permits.
Responsible for proper and safe creation and utilization of confined space and hot work permits.
Coordinate the work activities of vendors and subcontractor personnel when required.
Skillful with computer software programs that utilize word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
Perform the housekeeping functions and equipment cleaning necessary to maintain the facility in neat condition.
Support maintenance personnel by assisting with maintenance during weekend and outage work, troubleshooting assistance during plant outages, or as requested.
Act as a team member with all employees of West Windsor Power staff and complies with all company policies and procedures.
Participate in all mandatory safety & environmental training
Willing to participate and engage in taking ownership as the point person for specific plant equipment, areas or functions.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities assigned by the immediate supervisor to this position, whether or not specifically stated in this description.
- Set and achieve SMART objectives each year to maintain the culture of continuous improvement for both the organization & stakeholders.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Ability to work at heights and with adverse conditions during operation and when participating in fire and emergency activities.
- Ability to work rotating shift work with occasional durations spent on dayshift assignments
- Ability to enter and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test.
- Ability to lift 50lbs of weight
- Must have eyesight corrected to 20/40 to accurately read and interpret instruments and gauges
- Ability to hear and understand audible alarms, and detect changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and portable radio communication.
- Ability to make significant independent judgements.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to be depended on to report to work as scheduled. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Ability to use personal computer, calculator, etc.
- Able to pass security check that is equivalent to Government of Canada "Reliable"
- Possess or be significantly complete in the requirements for a Second Class Operating Engineer Certification recognized in Ontario.
- Minimum of a high school education or equivalent
- Eight years experience in power plant operations and in-depth knowledge of electrical & controls systems, or equivalent.
- Before being hired, a candidate must be able to demonstrate sufficient technical knowledge on a written exam.
Indoors – 50%
IPR-GDF SUEZ North America is an equal opportunity employer.
IRP-GDF SUEZ North America, Inc. encourages individuals to apply for open positions using our website. However, if you are unable to complete your application on-line you may call 713-636-1900 for possible alternative application processes.
- 12 months ago