Through innovation and creative product design, CertainTeed has helped shape the building products industry for more than 100 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Company, the firm made its slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," which quickly inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is North America's leading brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, foundations, pipe, insulation, gypsum, ceilings and access covers.
Headquartered in Valley Forge, Pa., CertainTeed and its affiliates have more than 7,000 employees and more than 70 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. In 2007 the group had consolidated sales of more than $3 billion.
CertainTeed is a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, the world's largest supplier of building materials. Based in Paris, Saint-Gobain has more than 207,000 employees worldwide and had sales of $59.5 billion in 2007. The company has approximately 24,000 employees throughout the United States and Canada.
Consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives, the Production Manager provides the leadership to improve plant performance to world class levels of safety, environmental impact, quality, service and efficiency, within the financial internal controls framework. This position will also provide the leadership to effectively lead all plant production and related operations in a manner to achieve maximum production and operating efficiencies within safety, quality, service and cost standards; will be responsible for the production team's performance; and is accountable for maintaining the applicable standards in the plant.
- Reports directly to the Plant Manager, and is a key member of the plant management team. If required, will be responsible to fill in as plant manager in his or her absence.
- Provides an accident free worksite while maintaining status as the preferred supplier of quality products and service with a goal of world class yield, availability, and reliability.
- Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
- Models company Vision, Mission and Values and ensure employee's model the same.
- Ensures department employees are properly trained and their skills are regularly assessed to ensure developmental needs are addressed utilizing gap analysis from skills matrices and tailored training programs.
- Works through their teams, ensures the safe, effective and efficient utilization of labor, materials, equipment, and in-process inventories in the production of all products.
- Manages direct labor cost/variances through scheduling based on production volumes. Ensures raw material usages are in agreement with product BOM's.
- Regularly reviews performance data and identifies gaps relevant to the team.
- Ensure the team is operating within all legal, compliance and applicable contractual obligations.
- Works in an effective and cross-functional manner with all members of the plant management team.
- Regularly communicates progress of plant goals to all department employees.
- Participates with the interviewing, hiring and onboarding of new employees.
- Continuously evaluates production performance and focuses on continuous improvement in areas of opportunity/non-compliance.
- Leads focused improvement projects based on losses, and uses resources to manage the Autonomous / Operator Maintenance activities to meet milestones in accordance with the Manufacturing Business Plan and plant project savings plan (F-Matrix).
- Assures good housekeeping practices (5S) through auditing, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, counsel's employees and applies the provisions of the labor contract (if applicable.)
- Coordinates production to meet customer demands ensuring the maintenance work and project implementation outages are optimized.
- Uses technical knowledge and experience to coach others.
- Coaches and counsels employees who are not meeting performance objectives and issues progress discipline up to and including termination.
- Provides resourcing and input for new equipment (Early Equipment Management) projects.
- Ensures all plant processes meet applicable financial Internal Control guidelines.
- Has latitude for non-reviewed actions and the exercise of independent judgment and discretion with established policies and procedures. Shares responsibility for department budgets and performance.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, science, industrial management or similar discipline, or five (5) years of equivalent training and experience that provides a comprehensive working knowledge of the laws, regulations, practices and procedures of a lean/world class manufacturing operation may be substituted for a degree.
- Six to eight (6-8) years of applied professional experience working in production in an industrial / manufacturing environment.
- Three to four (3-4) years of direct or indirect supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Lean / World Class principles and practices.
- Ability to provide leadership and innovation at all levels of the organization utilizing differing styles of management; from directive, to coaching and support, through delegative, as the situation arises.
- Change management and conflict management skills.
- Strong influencer and communicator.
- Results driven, flexible and open-minded with good written and oral communication.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Previous experience in an unionized envrioment.
- Experience with worker's compensation, arbitration, collective bargaining agreements, negotiations and Human Rights.
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering field.
- Ten (10) years of applied professional production experience with specifically 4 years' experience in direct supervision, employee relations and scheduling.
- Previous experience in gypsum industry.
- Proven ability to be an outstanding coach and leader, with succession planning and employee development skills.
- Active interest and success in people development, training systems and error proofing.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite proficiency and familiarity with JD Edwards's software.
Will be responsible for plant operational budget and performance.
- No Supervisors - direct reports are unionized Lead Hands.
- Provides coaching/mentoring and communicates performance expectations and reviews to production staff.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated. Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. May require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation.
- 9 months ago