Technical Product Marketing Manager – Ottawa, Canada
Optelian designs, manufactures, and delivers optical networking solutions that address the growing demand for bandwidth to service business and personal communications. Optelian’s LightGAIN and LightMUX portfolios provide optical infrastructure, CWDM, DWDM, as well as wavelength and packet service delivery functionality in modular platforms that are cost-effective, highly reliable, and easy to deploy and manage.
Optelian’s R&D and manufacturing facility is in Ottawa, with US corporate offices in Marietta, GA supporting a global customer base of service providers, multi-service operators, utilities, and enterprise customers.
Optelian’s Marketing team has an immediate opportunity for a Technical Product Marketing Manager. In this role, the individual will be responsible for developing and communicating Optelian’s technical product and solutions value proposition to prospects and customers through a variety of multimedia channels. The role holds primary responsibility for defining and managing go-to-market programs as part of product launches, selecting appropriate means to publicize new products to the market and ensuring that Optelian’s sales organization is well armed with appropriate collateral so they can effectively sell Optelian’s networking capabilities. In addition, the role will be responsible for positioning products and functionality in a solutions-oriented light—both to address service provider’s deployment plans, new service offerings, and customer applications as well as into new markets and verticals.
The Technical Product Marketing Manager will work very closely with Optelian’s product management team to understand the technical attributes of the product, market conditions that drive the need for the product, and deployment opportunities into existing customers, prospects, and new markets.
This position will be based in Ottawa. There is a small (< 15%) travel requirement to support customer and market events predominantly in North America but also globally.
- Defining and delivering effective product positioning – including clear messaging on Optelian’s product value, differentiation, and key technical attributes
- In conjunction with in-house creative design staff, be responsible for creating high-caliber marketing content and collateral including datasheets, presentations, business cases, advertising, and direct marketing materials
- Developing and driving solution-oriented campaigns and collateral – putting Optelian’s products, functionality, and technologies into the appropriate context for prospects to understand the merit of using Optelian’s portfolio
- Primary ownership of: go-to-market programs to ensure timely and successful product launches; customer testimonials and success stories to demonstrate the value and capabilities of the company and its portfolio; and the overall product and solutions marketing collateral strategy
- Working with Optelian’s technical documentation team to ensure product messaging and solutions capabilities are maintained beyond the sales process, through technical training and product deployment
- Working with Optelian’s corporate marketing team to develop and execute innovative tradeshow marketing strategies to highlight new portfolio functionality or solution capabilities to the target audience
- Representing Optelian in market-oriented forums
The successful candidate will possess:
- An Engineering degree or equivalent technical alternative with 5-8 years of relevant experience in customer-facing roles such as product marketing, network planning, and/or business development positions
- An understanding of optical telecommunications, packet optical networking equipment, and the underpinning technologies (SONET, WDM, Ethernet, etc.)
- An inherent skill to understand technical concepts and translate them effectively into value-oriented qualities
- The ability to communicate industry trends and directions and use the information to effectively position portfolio capabilities to a target audience
- Project management skills coupled with a strong attention to detail and the ability to execute on multiple priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (PowerPoint skills are essential)
- Pertinent marketing designations and training to effectively develop and communicate multi-level messaging strategies
- Subject matter expertise in one or more customer markets is appreciated: service provider, cable, IOC, utility, and/or enterprise networking
- Software marketing experience, specifically regarding network management systems is also an asset
Indeed - 21 months ago