Centerplate is one of North America's largest providers of quality food and beverage, catering, merchandise and facility management services for many of America's best-known sports, convention and entertainment venues. As our singular goal is to be #1 in Event Hospitality, all of our managers, chefs and employees are “Hospitality Ambassadors.”
"Craveable Experiences. Raveable Results." ™
Centerplate is the Official Supplier of Food and Beverage Services to the Vancouver Convention Centre. With our waterfront location and breathtaking views, the Vancouver Convention Centre offers one of the most beautiful and unique settings in the world, both for clients and employees.
We are currently seeking highly motivated, service-oriented individuals to join the Culinary Department in a Sous Chef position. We have two full time positions available, one is salaried and the other is an hourly position. Our culinary team proudly operates a “scratch” kitchen using only the finest and freshest ingredients.
This position is responsible for food production and ensures that all culinary team members are performing their duties as prescribed by the quality standards established by the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef may assume the duties of the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chefs in their absence. This position involves working in a fast-paced, quality production kitchen for a wide variety of banquet and convention events.
- Provide supervision to a large team, and participate in the production of high quality cuisine to ensure successful execution of a wide variety of events, exceeding our guest’s expectations.
- Liaise closely with managers and department heads within our operation to ensure that all event and internal needs are met and that work is completed in accordance with our standards.
- Participate with kitchen management in estimating and ordering food products for events and managing food costs closely, while maintaining our high quality standard.
- Assist in implementing and ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations, sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of kitchen and other areas.
- Maintain a well-groomed and professional appearance for yourself and all kitchen staff.
- Contribute to the generation of weekly staff schedules, monitoring kitchen labour costs, budgets and forecasts.
- Assist in the development and costing of new menus.
- Demonstrate an aptitude in new cooking techniques and foreign cuisines and help to develop workable, efficient recipes and ensure their effective implementation.
- Interact with clients at chef’s tables and tastings and present menu descriptions in a professional manner.
- Provide ongoing training, orientation and coaching to employees.
- Work with the Chef on employee performance management and resolve issues as needed.
- Model the Vancouver Convention Centre Service Standards.
- Perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required from time to time.
- Formal training at an accredited culinary school. Food Safe Certification.
- 3+ years experience in a Supervisory/Management position, preferably working in a high-volume kitchen operation such as a high-end hotel or convention centre.
- Must have strong leadership and decision-making skills, with proven ability to lead a team and direct employees to assigned activities.
- Strong focus on service excellence and a positive attitude that contributes to team work.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to motivate a team.
- Ability to adapt quickly to change, and work calmly and efficiently to meet deadlines in a high-volume capacity.
- Proficient written and spoken English communication skills in order to effectively interact with team members in a busy environment and for safety within the kitchen.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts across 7-day opening hours, including mornings, days, evenings and weekends.
- Computer proficiency specifically in Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes and excessive noise.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds in weight (pots, pans, etc.) and carry several feet.
- Physically fit to stand for long periods of time and walk long distances in the large Facility, as well as perform repetitive motions.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
For Centerplate at the Vancouver Convention Centre, preparing first-class food and beverages for our guests is a key part of who we are. If you have the skills, experience and service focus we are looking for, please email the contact stating the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. Please note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
MAKING IT BETTER TO BE THERE SINCE 1929
At gathering places across North America and the United Kingdom, Centerplate and our partner...