The UW Safety Office serves as a Health, Safety and Environment resource to assist members of the University community in meeting their obligations to provide a safe, healthy work and educational environment. In particular, the Safety Office develops and reviews Health, Safety and Environment programs, provides advice, assists Faculty/departmental health and safety co-ordinators/committees and serves on or is a resource to Health, Safety and Environment committees. For more information about the Safety Office refer to: www.safetyoffice.uwaterloo.ca
The Senior Safety Officer will be responsible for managing the effective, efficient, and comprehensive delivery of assigned health, safety and environmental program services to support the achievement of the University’s strategic goals, facilitate successful endeavors by all members of the University community and ensure that persons accountable for University operations are informed of risks and compliance requirements.
- Undergraduate degree in Health, Safety and Environment or related fields.
- Several years with proven track record of achievement in managing various aspects of health, safety and environment and/or laboratories with research or related fields.
- Competencies will include strategic thinking, innovation and superior interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Superior writing, presentation skills and ability to develop training programs.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, strategic and tactical thinking, planning and organizational skills.
- Expertise in conducting occupational and environmental hygiene sampling/measurement, interpretation and use of equipment and/or research laboratory equipment.
- Ontario Driver’s License Class G minimum.
- Superior ability to manage and recommend improvements to Health, Safety and Environment computer databases.
- Extensive ongoing professional development is required to maintain competency and membership competency in hazardous materials response team.
- Preference for candidates with: Professional Designation in Health and Safety including Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH/CIH) and/or equivalent.
- Extensive expertise with managing interpretation and compliance with most Health, Safety and Environment legislation.
- Expert ability to manage, develop and deliver training programs.
- Expert knowledge of applicable Health, Safety and Environment legislation.
- Extensive knowledge of organization, building infrastructure and laboratory environment.
Starting Salary range is between $63,280.92 - $79,101.15
Interested candidates should apply for this position by June 28th, 2013 through the University of Waterloo’s online recruitment system found at www.hr.uwaterloo.ca/mycareer/all_apps.html.
THE UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.