This position is responsible for responsible for Aquarium security including public safety (crowd control, parking lot security, & crime prevention management), primary first aid and building and grounds security.
Only candidates with a valid security license and occupational first aid level 2 need apply.
Ensure the safety of both the public and Aquarium by:
- Assisting with crowd control during shows and in the various galleries
- Conducting safety and loss prevention patrols of the parking lot
- Making regular security rounds to ensure that the building and grounds are secure
- Monitoring security surveillance cameras per Aquarium policy
- Responsible for crime prevention management
Assists with the First Aid Program at the Vancouver Aquarium by:
- Assisting to ensure Aquarium compliance with WorkSafe BC regulation related to first aid and safety
- Responding to first aid calls and providing first aid for staff, volunteers and guests. Using good judgment in choosing when to act as primary attendance and when to refer to emergency services.
Enhance the overall experience of guest of the Aquarium by:
- Being open and friendly to guest and answer basic questions as required or refer them to someone who can assist.
- Assist other departments with ensuring the facility remains clean and presentable.
- Performs additional duties as required.
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations.
Education and Experience
- Minimum secondary school diploma or equivalent
- One year experience in a security role such as police officer or security guard
- Minimum Occupational First Aid (OFA) II
- Must be certified to operate an AED machine
- BC Security Worker license;
- Ability to interact positively and proactively with the general public presenting a professional image.
- Must have skills to communicate well both verbally and in written format.
- Must have basic working knowledge of Microsoft office programs and email.
- Ability to remain calm and respond effectively in hostile situations with the general public.
- Ability to spot potentially problematic situations and address before they escalate.
- Job requires the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time
- Required to carry a radio and be accessible for calls
- Exposure to sun and weather
- Ability to work effectively within large crowds
- Flexibility and availability in schedule are required during the week, including evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays
How to Apply:
Please visit www.vanaqua.org to apply online.