FPInnovations is among the world’s largest private, non-profit research centers working in forest research. The organization helps the Canadian forest industry to develop path breaking solutions based on the unique attributes of Canada’s forest resources, favoring a sustainable development approach and taking full advantage of the industry’s considerable scientific, technological and commercial capital.
The successful candidate will co-ordinate a research program addressing sustainability performance within the Durability and Sustainability Group of the Advanced Building Systems Department in the Wood Products Division at FPInnovations. The Advanced Building Systems Sustainability research is guided by two objectives: to enable environmental improvements in the forest products industry, and to support market growth for forest products based on sustainability attributes. The mandate of this group is tied to wood products and wood construction systems; however, the group also provides research services to other FPInnovations programs in Forest Operations and Pulp, Paper and BioProducts.
The scientist will provide strategic direction and oversight of work in areas that include:
1. Reducing the environmental impact of forest projects using life cycle assessment (LCA)
2. Researching potential carbon economy impacts to the forest industry
3. Facilitating uptake of LCA in building design and other end use markets
4. Monitoring and contributing to building-sector sustainability codes and standards
5. Facilitating sustainable business practices in the forest industry
6. Providing technical and communications support to the wood industry and its trade associations
The work includes coordination and collaboration with other research areas and groups in the Advanced Building Systems Department in order to support the holistic and multi-disciplinary research approach of this 30-person department. The position reports to the Research Leader – Durability and Sustainability, and the successful candidate will support the RL in program planning, client relations, contract development and communications. FPInnovations is a national research institute and some travel is required.
- A Ph.D. or demonstrated capacity for independent research in an environmental discipline, an architecture or engineering discipline, or an industrial ecology discipline with a minimum of 10 years’ experience.
- A strong sustainability background in the built environment, the manufacturing sector, or both. This ideally includes experience in life cycle assessment and carbon accounting. Scholarly experience as well as practical experience is of great value.
- Excellent project management skills for projects of all sizes and complexities. Must have a demonstrated ability to successfully manage budgets, schedules and staff.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written; a willingness to perform public speaking; a capacity to explain technical information in non-technical terms.
- Good teamwork skills and experience in collaborative projects.
- Strong skills in customer relations: the ability to listen and adjust to meet client needs, providing client care and other follow-up, and ability to successfully secure contracts.
FPInnovations is among the world’s largest private, not-for-profit forest research centres. It helps the Canadian forest industry...