FPInnovations is among the world’s largest private, non-profit research centers working in forest research. The organization helps the Canadian forest industry to develop path breaking solutions based on the unique attributes of Canada’s forest resources, favoring a sustainable development approach and taking full advantage of the industry’s considerable scientific, technological and commercial capital.
Under the supervision of the Research manager, the Research leader will have an overall responsibility for a team and facilities required to deliver programs, projects and contracts pertaining to different research programs of the collaborative model in the area of secondary wood products manufacturing. This could also include delivery required within the other FPInnovations’ business models: strategic research alliances, products and services, and licensing. His/her success is defined by innovation implementation in our customers’ businesses.
The Secondary Wood Products Manufacturing research program provides research, development and technical support for secondary wood products manufacturers to enable them to effectively produce and market wood-based products and construction materials (http://www.fpinnovations.ca/ResearchProgram/Pages/research-program-secondary-wood-products-manufacturing.aspx).
The Research Leader develops a business culture within his/her team that embraces innovation, safety, fiscal responsibility, efficient use of resources and cash, and timely delivery of research products and contracts. He/she helps staff develop value propositions using in-depth knowledge of the clients’ business. The Research Leader works with his/her colleagues, shares knowledge and resources, and contributes to the achievement of FPInovations strategic objectives.
He/she ensures that his/her team members are positioned to maximize the success of each program and delivery of innovation by promoting collaboration and resource sharing. He/she leads research program themes that deliver innovation by developing and maintaining strategies, and maximizing the research products’ delivery with high value propositions. The Research Leader is also responsible for determining goals to be achieved by his/her team, with specific objectives for each team member, and reviewing employee performance.
The successful candidate will:
- Be proactive in promoting and developing safe practice with his/her employees;
- Develop research activities and projects, within his/her area of specialty, which reflect the needs of members, clients and partners; and ensure that contract obligations are met;
- Develop regional, national and international recognition around his/her research program and specialty;
- Actively contribute in the maintenance of healthy relationships with FPInnovations members by being customer focused;
- Actively develop revenue by attracting new customers and significant profitable contracts by being business oriented;
- Ensure that the team’s research projects and contracts include high value propositions and coach his/her team when developing these propositions;
- Ensure that research results and contract work are of high quality and that they are completed on-time and on budget;
- Prepare budgets, project reviews, quarterly reports, approve time sheets and other administrative tasks as required;
- Keep program expenditures within budget accountability for variances;
- Understand the needs of his/her group staff members, provide support and help them grow by providing efficient mentorship, supervision and coaching;
- Prepare the performance reviews of staff members under his/her supervision in a timely manner, determine goals to be achieved by each of them and by the team, and provide continuous supervision in order to participate in the achievement of the organization’s goals;
- Understand and comply with FPInnovations’ policies and procedures, and communicate them to staff members, making sure they are correctly understood and applied.
- In-depth knowledge in secondary wood products manufacturing research
- Ph.D. and 12 to 14 years of related experience, including supervisory responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience;
- Ability to handle internal and external contacts at a senior level in a professional manner;
- Business focus ;
- Customer focus;
- Negotiation skills;
- Supervisory skills : Lead by example, direct, support and develop;
- Behave with integrity and team spirit;
- Bilingual (French and English) is an asset.
Indeed - 14 months ago
FPInnovations is a world leader in the development of innovative applications and products based on next-generation pulps, papers and...