In just half a century, the University of Waterloo, located at the heart of Canada's technology hub, has become one of Canada's leading comprehensive universities with 35,000 full- and part-time students in undergraduate and graduate programs. Waterloo, as home to the world's largest post-secondary co-operative education program, embraces its connections to the world and encourages enterprising partnerships in learning, research and discovery. In the next decade, the university is committed to building a better future for Canada and the world by championing innovation and collaboration to create solutions relevant to the needs of today and tomorrow. For more information about Waterloo, please visit www.uwaterloo.ca.
The University of Waterloo is currently searching for a Research Finance Training and Compliance Officer in our Finance Department. The key responsibility of the Research Finance Training and Compliance Officer is to provide oversight and management of the compliance and eligibility of research funds in relation to external sponsor guidelines and UW policies. Specifically, these responsibilities include the review of specific research transactions for compliance and eligibility, interpretation and analysis of sponsor guidelines including liaison with external sponsor agencies on interpretation issues, dissemination of regulatory changes to the research community, identification of areas of compliance weakness and related risk mitigation strategies, advice and support to the research community on compliance and eligibility issues, contribution to the improvement of research finance process flows, systems and reports, and development and execution of a range of research financial compliance training programs for staff and faculty. The Research Finance Training and Compliance Officer is also responsible for the maintenance of all financial compliance tools including the research signing authority database.
As a member of the Research Finance Training and Compliance Team the Research Finance Training and Compliance Officer has direct accountability to Research Finance and indirect accountability to the respective Faculty Executive Officer and/or Faculty Financial Officer for the oversight and management of the compliance and eligibility of research funds in a specific group of faculties
This exciting opportunity requires the following:
- University undergraduate degree
- Accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) or progress towards a recognized accounting designation is preferred
- Working both independently and as part of a team and managing workload and priorities
- Leading training sessions or other similar sessions in which strong presentation skills are required
- Using judgment and knowledge to draw informed and consistent conclusions
- Knowledge of research granting agencies and their programs is preferred
- Working knowledge of auditing practices and procedures is an asset
- Experience of effectively communicating with key stakeholders
- Knowledge of the academic and research environment is an advantage
- Intermediate Microsoft Word, PowerPoint
- Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Intermediate Oracle, FORE, InfoEd, MS Access, Adobe, MS Outlook
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and resume in one file to
hrresume@uwaterloo. ca quoting 2231 – Research Finance Training and Compliance Officer, Finance in the subject line.
Please visit http://www.hr.uwaterloo.ca/.jd/00005885.html for more information and a full job description.
The University of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Waterloo supports internal promotion and growth. We thank each applicant for their interest; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted