The intern will be working with farmers to identify grain varieties ideally suited to organic and ecological farming techniques, organizing educational events for farmers, and promoting seed security in the Prairies. The student will also be working with our program manager on the coordination of oat, heritage wheat and other grain variety trials. This will include: developing a how-to guide for on farm trials, coordination with farmers during the trials, and data collection. Finally the student will be involved in coordinating on-farm field days which will provide educational opportunities for farmers involved in the program. These will occur in 2-4 regions across Alberta. The Prairie Ecological Seed Production Intern will be supervised by the Prairies Regional Program Coordinator for the Bauta Family Initiative for Canadian Seed Security, a program through USC Canada.
- Working with farmers on our grain variety and field trial programs
- Coordinating regional on-farm field days
- Collecting and analyzing data related to field trials, and developing other support materials
- Other related activities as needed
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident, under the age of 30
- Be a full-time student returning to school in September
- Interest in local food and organic agriculture
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with non-profit, grass-roots organizations
- Experience with event planning and coordination
- Motivated to make a change in the Canadian agriculture scene
Position details: $13/hour, 35 hours a week for 16 weeks. Position to begin early to mid-May. Application Deadline: 5:00 PM Friday April 19, 2013. To apply please email your resume and cover letter. Only candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 15 months ago
Organic Alberta is a membership driven non-profit association. We represent organics in Alberta and strengthen the organic community through...