Under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist, the assistant works under the guidance of the Pharmacist to prepare medication compounding, assist with patient scheduling, program infusion pumps, assist with infusion supplies requirements. The assistant may help prepare medications, complete sterile compounding of medication, and maintains the compounding area and equipment, and monitors inventory.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the pharmacist in maintaining federal, provincial, and local laws, accrediting body standards, and Policies and Procedures (P&Ps).
- Performs IV admixtures sterility testing in accordance with policy, maintains appropriate documentation.
- Schedules patient for repeat medications
- Perform prescription data entry to track drug lot numbers as required
- Assists the pharmacist in preparing required infusion supplies for delivery of medication
- Assists the pharmacist in programming pumps and infusion devices for medication delivery
- Assists the pharmacist in entering prescriptions into the prescription software (Kroll), and filling/billing such prescriptions
- Assists the pharmacist in filling refill medications through the prescription software (Kroll)
- Assists the pharmacist in preparing compounding sheets for the preparation of medication
- Assists the pharmacists in the preparation and labeling of medications as allowed by law.
- Prepares sterile parenterals including Chemotherapy, Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) and other medications, following appropriate aseptic technique and obtaining required checks by pharmacists and
oAppropriate assembly of drugs and supplies by matching codes and quantities from the compounding document,
oCorrect labeling of product,
oChecking the final product for the absence of particulate matter and container integrity and
oEnsuring compounding product gets matched to the right delivery just prior to shipping.
- Conducts quality control and sterility testing
- Assists the pharmacist in maintaining appropriate inventory levels.
- Orders, receives and stores medications and supplies.
- Performs physical inventories according to (P&Ps)
- Maintains pharmacy records including filing and documenting required information on dispensing records.
- Maintains and tracks disposable medical equipment and other equipment including cleaning and calibration activities.
- Cleans work areas routinely in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Communicates appropriately with all members of the healthcare team.
- Documents appropriately according to P&Ps, all activities using required paperwork (logs)
- Participates in Performance Improvement and Quality Assurance activities education programs and department/branch meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Certificates and Experience
Pharmacy Assistant Certificate/Diploma from an accredited institution is preferred. Under no circumstances may a pharmacy assistant mix medications or provide service without a licensed pharmacist present. Current CPR certification required if involved with direct patient care.
One year IV experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists in the process of becoming, or actually having Certification as a Registered Pharmacy Assistant, desirable but not required.
**Applicants MUST be flexible to work a variety of shifts as we are open 365 days a year**
Interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume through Indeed or by fax at 905-474-3127.