Position: Operations Manager
Posting Date: October 4, 2013
Location: Algonquin College Residence & Conference Centre
1385 Woodroffe Ave., Ottawa, ON.
Start Date: ASAP
Interviews: October 22, 2013 (Approx.)
Application Deadline: October 20, 2013 by 11:55pm EST
Instructions: Applications must include a current resume and cover letter. Applications must be submitted via our Careers website:
Special Notes: Only selected applicants will be notified if they have been chosen to take part in an interview process.
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
This Operations Manager is responsible for coordinating the day to day operations of the residence facility, while focusing on achieving any identified short and long term goals. This includes overseeing housekeeping and physical plant, ensuring standards are met and best practices are followed. Strong leadership and managerial skills are required.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Embody the overall vision and direction for the residence operation;
- Monitor property performance against any identified goals to ensure that progress is being made, and that corrective action is taken if necessary;
- Analyzes and report on daily, monthly and annual performance indicators and industry trends where applicable;
- Ensure that all reporting employees adhere to company policies and procedures;
- Ensure accurate documentation of employee records;
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring, training and scheduling of staff;
- Oversee the tasks and functions of the housekeeping and maintenance staff to maintain exceptional physical plant and cleanliness standards;
- Have thorough knowledge and practice of the building’s automated systems as necessary;
- Maintain relationships and service contracts with outside contractors;
- Develops capital plans and sourcing replacement components for systems that have reached the end of their operational life cycle;
- Responsible for managing and following the established operating budget;
- Manage the morale in the workplace by setting and demonstrating a strong business ethic for dealing with employees, suppliers and guests;
- Manage inventory and supplies for the residence operation;
- Meet regularly with staff/departments to facilitate resolution of issues and adherence to standards and completion of assigned tasks or required duties;
- Assist and be responsible where applicable for employee relations, including terminations, discipline, performance appraisals, etc.;
- Assist in developing and implementing new business strategies for creating or improving processes and procedures;
- Oversee any ancillary or other departments as required;
- Perform other duties as required.
Performance will be primarily measured on the following factors:
- Performance Objectives & Targets
- Inter-Personal Skills
- Leadership * Business & Financial Acumen
- Self Development and Appraisal
- Health & Safety
Education: Recognized College Diploma or University Degree
Skills/Abilities: Must possess superior verbal and written communication skills
Must possess superior decision making ability
Must possess excellent employee management skills
Must be able to handle multiple projects at once
Must be able to provide leadership to staff
Experience Required: Minimum of 5 years industry experience or equivalent management experience
Hours per Week: Scheduled 44 hours per week (may need to work more as required)
Level of Interruption: High level of interruption
Stress Level: Moderate overall stress level (Peak stress levels from time to time)
Travel Outside of Location: Minimal (Some corporate meetings outside of property)
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation. Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
If you require accommodation in order to successfully submit an application, please email us to make your accommodation request with our HR Department.
This Operations Manager position requires an individual with a unique combination of skills and experience. This position works frequent irregular hours including extended workdays; attendance at evening and weekend meetings and programs.
Questions regarding this posting can be directed to:
General Manager, Algonquin College Residence & Conference Centre