Join our team, and make a difference!
Nestled in the heart of beautiful Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium is a nonprofit society internationally recognized as a leading visitor attraction, and one of Canada's foremost centres for aquatic education, research and conservation.
Reporting to the Manager, Mechanical Systems Operations, the Mechanical Systems Laborer is responsible for performing general maintenance and labor pertaining to animal life support systems and to a lesser extent, other mechanical systems, assisting other Mechanical Systems Operators, and cleaning the Mechanical Systems area.
Please note that this is a fixed term contract with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2014.
Responsible for general maintenance of the department facility by:
- Unloading and warehousing DE filter media and other consumables and supplies;
- Assisting Mechanical Systems Operators with their duties as needed;
- Housekeeping including sweeping, mopping, washing equipment.
Assists in operation and maintenance of filter system by:
- Maintaining filter elements by physically entering the filter vessel and disassembling and cleaning the components in Cl2 and acid baths.
Assists in Emergency Protocols by:
- Being a First Responder for Chemical Spills (training provided);
- Participating in Emergency Preparedness and Response Drills and Tests;
- Maintaining, supporting and following organizational health and safety standards.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations by supporting our Environmental Management Systems (EMS) protocols;
- Performing additional duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Experience with small power tools and hand tools;
- Experience performing work that requires physical strength, stamina and good physical coordination;
- Completion of grade 12.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions accurately;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision for extended periods of time;
- Ability to safely work in all situations including with machinery, chemicals and in close proximity to a variety of aquatic animals;
- Ability to stay calm in emergency situations.
- The incumbent must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly on a daily basis;
- Job requires standing while performing most duties;
- Job requires the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to gloves, hard hat, respiratory, eye and ear protection;.(training provided as needed);
- Must be flexible with shift changes including weekends, evenings and holidays. The incumbent must also be responsive to changes in the daily schedule as facility requirements may change throughout the day;
- Frequent exposure to wet, humid, hot or cold environments;
- Most duties are performed inside however the incumbent will be exposed to seasonal weather fluctuations in outdoor working areas and associated risk factors;
- Job requires the ability to safely work with machinery or in close proximity to machinery in an industrial environment;
- Job requires the safe handling of chemicals (training provided as needed).
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please visit us at the link below to apply to this exciting opportunity: