Royal Oak Village
Working under the supervision of a health professional, the HCA provides basic health services for residents who have medical conditions or major functional limitations. They provide the physical and emotional support residents need to be as independent as possible.
- Responsible to and work under the direction of:
Site Lead, Royal Oak Manor
Delivers resident-focused care within full scope of practice of a HCA, in a home-like environment, respecting the individuality and dignity of each resident/family and co-workers including the completion of the following duties:
1. Performs the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards set out in the applicable Provincial and Municipal Acts. Performs the responsibilities of the position consistent with Operational Policies.
2. Participates in all aspects of personal resident care to ensure the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of each resident/family are met.
3. Utilizes therapeutic communication by establishing a working relationship with resident/families and co-workers for the purpose of meeting the resident needs; ensuring respect, dignity, and individuality of each resident and staff member.
4. Participates with other team members in formulating, delivering, and reporting the daily resident care needs and personal preferences by:
- Attending and gathering pertinent data
- Seeking direction from staff
- Observing residents for any changes and reporting immediately to supervisor
- Assessing behaviors and activities of daily living and reporting in oral and/or written form at designated times
- Reporting unusual events promptly and directly to supervisor
5. Delivers effective and efficient care under the direction of the supervisor that promotes resident/family choice and acknowledges the resident strengths, limitations, as well as their need for safety and the safety of other resident/family and staff.
6. Consistent with resident focused care approach to meet resident needs and demonstrates initiative to:
- Assist with serving meals, feeding, and providing nourishment supplements
- Responds to any resident in need regarding call bells, telephone ringing, and assisting any employee in need of help
- Assist residents with bathing, grooming, dressing and other personal hygiene activities
- Under the direction of the supervisor, applies treatment creams to residents
- Assist residents with therapeutic activities
- May be asked to perform restricted activities that fall within HCA competencies under the assignment and supervision of a regulated healthcare professional
7. Ensures daily, the neatness of residents’ rooms, furniture, clothes closets, mobility devices, tub/washrooms, utility rooms, and kitchen/serveries.
8. Participates in multidisciplinary committee work as required:
- Care conferences, as directed
- Unit meetings, general staff meetings, and HCA meetings
9. Participates in continuing education to ensure skills and abilities are maintained and enhanced.
10. Participates in continuous quality improvement of the care unit and associated care services by:
- Ongoing collection and documentation of data
- Using supplies in a cost efficient manner as per product guidelines
- Offering suggestions regarding resource allocation
- Participating in continuing education to ensure skills and abilities are maintained and enhanced.
11. Creates a facility environment that protects confidentiality of residents, staff, and activities of the community.
12. Protects own health and health of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety. Follow all guidelines for employees and employers as legislated under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Graduate of a Health Care Aide program recognized by Alberta Health.
- Two years of experience in a health care institution is preferred.
- Health Care Aide Certificate or equivalent formal education from an approved school.
- Medication Delivery Certificate is a definite requirement.
- CPR, and First Aid Certification would be definite asset.
- Experience in Assisted Living or Long Term Care setting an asset.
- Proficient with computers and software systems.
- Must have a strong understanding of the English language.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding, patient, gentle, and non-judgmental.
- Mature and dependable.
- Ability to work well with others in a team approach, and adapt to changing situations.
- Outstanding customer service focus.
- Willing and able to keep information about residents confidential.
- Respect the resident’s rights to privacy and to be treated with dignity.
Other Bona-Fide Occupational Requirements
- Physically and mentally fit to perform the duties of the position (may be required to lift, move, push, or pull objects weighing up to 90 kilograms).
- Ability to work on his/her feet for a complete shift while constantly bending, stretching, walking, lifting or moving things.
- A current and clear Criminal Records Check is required for all new site-based employees.
- Physically capable of performing assigned duties within a flexible work schedule inside a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation.
- Must be able to work evenings, nights, and weekends, as required.
This job description indicates representative responsibilities and specifications of the position only and should not be considered to necessarily represent all responsibilities and specifications of the position. The incumbent may perform other duties as assigned, which are not specified in this description. A review and update of this job description will take place at the yearly performance review.