Please note: This job is funded by a Federal Student Summer Job Grant. Applicants MUST be a post-secondary student between the ages of 15-30, returning to school next year full-time.
Contract: 30 hours/week, June 2nd - August 8th
In order to advance the mission of the Canadian Cancer Society the LGBT Health Promotion Assistant will support the Team Lead, Health Promotion with engaging the community (such as but not limited to): LGBT organizations, stakeholders and community members.
- Provide support with the planning and development of the Society’s annual Pride in Life float and booth at the Vancouver Pride Parade
- Conduct outreach in the LGBT community to recruit volunteers for the event
- Train and liaise with up to 80 volunteers
- Lead organizing supplies and resources for the event
- Assisting with planning the 2014 Pride Parade and Festival booth and float
- Develops plans with the Team Lead, Health Promotion on LGBT engagement and outreach
- Leads engagement in the LGBT community with various organizations and stakeholders with the * Canadian Cancer Society health promotion priorities
- Leads recruitment and training of Pride volunteers
- Attends and co-leads Canadian Cancer Society Pride Parade and Sunset Beach festival entry and supports a team of 80 volunteers
- Develops evaluation, implements and provides report to Team Lead Health Promotion
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Post-secondary student between the ages 15-30 (must be returning to school next year FULL-TIME)
- Knowledge of health promotion and community engagement
- Understanding of LGBT community and working with underserved communities
- Outgoing and comfortable attending meetings, presenting and leading a large volunteer team
- Willingness to learn health promotion best practises and apply them
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary student between the age of 15-30
- Studies included but not limited to: health promotion, nursing, public health, sociology
- Experience and knowledge with engaging the LGBT community
- Strong public speaking skills
- Strong community engagement skills
Interested applicants please submit your cover letter and resume in one document directly through our website www.cancer.ca no later than May 9th.
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national community based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the...